Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 SXT with aout 40000 miles on it. I have had this problem since three months after I bought the car in July of 07.

Every time I am on the freeway, and sometimes at speeds between 35-50mph, my engine decides to not stay in one particular gear. Third to fourth is the worst. It will rev like its in cruise control, almost. I don't have cruise on my car, so I have no idea what is going on.

I took it to the dealer twice in two months, and they just flashed the computer and said that it should fix itself. So wrong.

When on the freeway, it will go from about 2300 rpm to about 3500 rpm, upshift into fourth, then downshift back down to third - all within the span of about four seconds. I am keeping the gas pedal steady, and it happens to anyone who drives the car. It is much worse when the engine is colder, and lately has not even tried to shift into fourth - instead, it just sits at 3300 rpm at 70 mph.

It's annoying and killing my gas mileage, and is there anything that could be wrong with it, like the torque converter or something? I'm clueless, as well as the dumbass dealer.

Any help/ideas is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
There is no such thing as a Caliber with an Automatic Transmission. If you don't have a manual transmission then you have a CVT Transmission. There are no real gears in it.

Is the freeway flat or hilly?

When you accelerate from a stop what does the transmission do?

Is there another dealer that you could take it to get another opinion?

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
I would also like to know how it's jumping between "gears."

Reactions: UN4GTBL and erich82

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for not being so specific...

I know it has a CVT Trans. I meant automatic since it's not manual. My bad!

Anyway, its on flat, hilly, or downhill. The gradient doesn't matter when it does this, unfortunately.

When I accelerate from a stop, it usually behaves, but sometimes the engine feels a bit jumpy, as though it cannot find a good rpm to accelerate with. Which of course I know is pretty much how CVTs work, but the freeway thing I know is definitely not common.

I also have no options with another dealer... my warranty only covers parts and labor and such for the dealer at which I purchased it. A second opinion runs me another hundred bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts

Anyway, its on flat, hilly, or downhill. The gradient doesn't matter when it does this, unfortunately.

When I accelerate from a stop, it usually behaves, but sometimes the engine feels a bit jumpy, as though it cannot find a good rpm to accelerate with. Which of course I know is pretty much how CVTs work, but the freeway thing I know is definitely not common.

I also have no options with another dealer... my warranty only covers parts and labor and such for the dealer at which I purchased it. A second opinion runs me another hundred bucks.
What warranty do you have? Who is it through? I think this dealer is trying to get you to come to their place by paying your deductible on your extended coverage which is probably through Chrysler.

It sounds to me like it may be the throttle input sensor, the throttle position sensor/throttle body as well. If your trans is slipping, it would be doing it more often.

See if you can duplicate the issue and pay particular attention to see if it keeps doing it when you have the throttle in a certain position, and stops doing it in other throttle positions.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
553 Posts
Do you keep your hand on the gear shifter? Maybe it's being "shifted" into L for a short period of time?

Try calibrating the throttle too:

Engine to ignition on (but don't start the engine)
Slowly press the throttle all the way down - take around 15 seconds to cover the full range
Slowly bring it all the way back - again take 15 seconds
Switch off the ignition and wait 10 minutes.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm with GreaseMonkey. Sounds like a throttle and not a trans problem. My bet is you have a faulty sensor or control.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts

so you have an aftermarket warranty then?

try the throttle recalibration, see if that helps

-or-

disconnect the battery for a bit and see if it will force it self to relearn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, wow. I'll definitely try the recalibration on the throttle. thank you so much for your advice, and I'm hoping that works... *crosses fingers*

If not, I'll see if the sensors are bad, and get back to you guys.

I'm not shifting it into low on the freeway... I made sure that I wasn't doing something silly like that, but thank you for the suggestion!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts