Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for the SRT4.... seems like the first few months only issues were exhaust pinging and a moving arm rest which i can live with, but recently there seems to be more than one can track new threads in the issue and quality problems section about trannies failing, CELs showing, ABS lights coming on, water leaking in on the matts, paint issues etc.

So, should one looking in from the outside be nervous about the caliber platform?

·
Registered
294 Posts
You have to remember that the board is just a small sample of owners (try working it out as a percentage of problems/members).
More times than not, you look to the web for solutions to problems instead of raving about the caliber.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
... i forgot, some of these things have been one out of all the calibers made which for a first year car havent been bad...if i was to report the problems with our caravan, it would surpass these, both in severity and frequency lol an they seem to b trying to fix these as they occur

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's all about the numbers. Statistically, the more you make, the more probable some issue will happen and as previously mentioned, people are more inclined to post about any flaw whatsoever as opposed to taking the time to say it's all good.

The Caliber is a drive by wire, very high tech car from front to back. Its using some very new and state of the art hardware and software. Perfection is a grind to get to and is more about perception than making the perfect car.

If you look at the high number of import recalls and "issues" on the go, you will realize this is happening across the industry. Toyota execs have been quoted saying the tricky thing about success and their sales volume increases is keeping the quality control standards in place.

In the big picture, the Caliber has launched pretty well without any significant component issues to date. The car has been perhaps too much of a success as demand has put severe pressure on production and QC. Suppliers are also probably scrambling to adjust due to the unexpected demand for the cars.

So far, I think the car has done well. It offers top value and will only improve as the fine tuning proceeds. I've enjoyed my R/T since the first week of July. It still seems like I got huge car for the money.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mind a few small things, but trannies dying and getting replaced so that the dead one can get shipped to dcx to scratch their heads over kinda stuff makes me nervous

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've only seen one person with a possible failed tranny and it appears it's more likely an electrical issue.

From all the forums I've read the Caliber is far superior to most other 1st year releases. Better than any of my other new cars I've bought over the years. I've had no problems other than very minor issues.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
I don't mind a few small things, but trannies dying and getting replaced so that the dead one can get shipped to dcx to scratch their heads over kinda stuff makes me nervous
As Huff said, if your referring to this forum thread on the tranny, it turned out to be the control unit aka electronics. The dealer was prepared to send the tranny to DCX for scrutiny. I think that reflects a committment from DCX to investigate any suspected major component failure vigorously. To me thats reassuring.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Huff said:
From all the forums I've read the Caliber is far superior to most other 1st year releases. Better than any of my other new cars I've bought over the years. I've had no problems other than very minor issues.
I agree, back in 1981 or 1982 when the Mustang & Capri changed to a matching body style, I bought a new Capri. NOTHIG but trouble! Starter fell out on the road to Vegas, fuel injection problems that led to me just putting a carb on it instead. All kinds of electrical gremlins. Made me swear I would never buy a first year car again. So I was a little wary of buying the Caliber, but the problems I've had are so insignificant, that I'm happy I did buy first year after all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Old_Dude said:
but the problems I've had are so insignificant, that I'm happy I did buy first year after all.

I was a little sceptical of getting a first year production car, but I have no regrets now. I agree with old_dude that the problems I have seen are insignificant. DCX seems to me to be doing a good job keeping on top of the issues.

G

·
Ive had my caliber for a month now and love it. Every new car out there will have its ups and downs, its bound to happen. My parents own a Chevy HHR and thats a new car and they are having problems with theirs too.

As far as mats being wet and everything, thats usually a matter of the door seal which isnt really anything. The same thing happened in my neon when I first got it and mine was an 01. Overall the Caliber is definately a great car for the amount its offered at. Plus like someone else said thats what we have the warrenties for. Hopefully what I and everyone else has said changes your mind :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
TechMan said:
The Caliber is a drive by wire, very high tech car from front to back. Its using some very new and state of the art hardware and software. Perfection is a grind to get to and is more about perception than making the perfect car.
Considering how few issues there have been and how few complaints overall there have been, this car is a pretty darn good investment. Someone else also mentioned this, but for every complaint you hear about, you have to take in to consideration how many people have had no complaints, but you don't read or hear much about that because it's only the squeeky wheel that gets the attention.

Plus, find me a vehicle or anything else that's mass produced and tell me there won't be a few single issues here and there and maybe a few problems that happen to alot of people. DCX seems to be doing a great job fixing the problems that have cropped up, and they should be commended for that.

Now there still are a few dealers out there that should learn what Customer Service means... but that's already on a few separate posts lol. :p

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
7 months, 19,000 kms. 1 license plate bulb and the computer flash re-call.

·
Registered
371 Posts
7 months- Got the pinging (Caliber Click) fixed and took it in for the computer flash recall as well. That is it. No problems, and everything works great! I couldn't be happier! Love this car.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i only say that ,everything is perfect until something breakes ,that could be a tiny think or a big think ,who knows and i think its normal ,there is a brand new car with a brand new engine ,brand new tranny ,state of the art pc .and there is also the garanty hat some where will go something wrong ,thats why we have waranty.Man while i think of that ,we all aspect that our car should be trouble free ,but not even are wifes are trouble free and they say that they are perfect:D ,cheers thomas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts