Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, it's finally happened. I got pulled over yesterday. Ya'know, with all the safety features and dummy alarms this car has, they should build in a radar/laser detecter that automatically slow the car down before the cops can see you.

I know I was going about 10-15 over the posted limit, the cop says I was doing 36mph over. Should be an interesting, time to get a lawyer.

/vent

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lawyer, eh, sounds like you need to arrange a plea bargain if you were going that fast, thats all that'll get you out of this one, hehe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really not sure why the cop said I was going that fast. I was behind a guy doing the speed limit (65), so I stepped on the gas to go around him. I got up to maybe 80, then saw the got and slow down to 63. The cop pulled me over and said was doing 101.

I've maxed out the car, I know what it's capable of, and I know how long it takes me to get to certain speeds. There wasn't nearly enough time for me to get to 101. And definately not enough time for me to 101 and back to the speed limit of 65.

Maybe it's profiling. A 19 y/o male driving a new bright yellow car. :confused:

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Horn229 said:
I really not sure why the cop said I was going that fast. I was behind a guy doing the speed limit (65), so I stepped on the gas to go around him. I got up to maybe 80, then saw the got and slow down to 63. The cop pulled me over and said was doing 101.

I've maxed out the car, I know what it's capable of, and I know how long it takes me to get to certain speeds. There wasn't nearly enough time for me to get to 101. And definately not enough time for me to 101 and back to the speed limit of 65.

Maybe it's profiling. A 19 y/o male driving a new bright yellow car. :confused:
probably...:mad:

·
Registered
161 Posts
What ever you do fight the ticket if it is your first. But make sure you gather some information instead of just praying the cop doesn't show up in court. If you look around the internet there are several site that give you information in fighting tickets. I hope things go well and you can get off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
See if you can plead to a broken speedometer, an equipment violation is far less costly than 31+mph over the limit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ya'know, with all the safety features and dummy alarms this car has, they should build in a radar/laser detecter that automatically slow the car down before the cops can see you.

I'm always amazed and saddened at how many people choose to lay the blame for their own errors, mistakes, and poor judgements on anything other than their own actions. I'm further amazed and saddened at how quickly people look for loophopes and such in order to not face their rightful consequences.

Dodge doesn't need to put in a radar detector. They don't need to put in any kind of circuitry to slow the car down when radar is detected.

You just need to stop speeding. Personal responsibility -- how about that?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, I got pulled over about 2 months ago doing 51 in a 40. Coming down a hill on a bridge in a group of cars driving a Sunburst Orange Cali. I have not had a ticket in over 4 years...I was pissed. Was I speeding? Maybe.. I did not think I was, I never even looked down at the speedometer. So, I took it to court. From what I learned, you have 3 choices. #1 You can admit you did speed, but there were circumstances on why you were(family emergency, etc.)(fine will probably be reduced) #2 You can defer it if you have not done that in awhile(which means you admit gilt, pay the fine and if you do not commit another traffic offense within a year it will be off your record) Or # 3 you can contest and hope for the best. I contested and got it thrown out cause I guess the cop was/is a IDIOT. Good Luck

·
Registered
267 Posts
Last time i got pulled over for speeding, i did 80 and a 70 on a Montana highway, i got a $20 ticket and could have paid it in cash if i had a $20 on me (with a receipt of course, they aren't crooked cops lol), but all I had was my debit card so I just mailed a check when i got home and all was well.. not points on my record or anything.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I dont think you should bother with a lawyer..........just plead not guilty and the prosecutor will usually make a deal with you by lowering the speed you did. I was recently in court and a lawyer did nothing that I couldn't do for his client, so he paid for his lawyer and the same fines anyone could have bargained for themselves. That's just my opinion.............It's really up to you to decide.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's true in most cases, but 30+ mph over is severe, and since he's a kid, the prosecutor won't cut him much slack. Also, I have been in court a few times when they wouldn't let me visit with the prosecutor. at any rate, ANY Speeding ticket at 19 years old will cost you money, but it WILL be an UNGODLY amount if you just pay the fine and get points. Your insurance will increase by probably 30-40 buck a MONTH for 3 YEARS.

Just try to get it fixed by a lawyer and take advise from an earlier post, slow down.

·
Registered
447 Posts
caprirs302 said:
Your insurance will increase by probably 30-40 buck a MONTH for 3 YEARS.
6 years actually. Even though the rate will drop a bit after the point falls from your license, the insurance company will still keep track of your previous points and put you in a rate group that is higher than if you never had a point at all, or it's more than 6 years old.

·
Registered
277 Posts
aw man, look on the dodge website, they offer a new option with a radar detector in it. Think its called the COMMON SENSE GROUP. you should trade your cali for one with that option!!! But really man, sorry, a ticket does suck. Been there, Done that. Haven't we all???

·
Registered
181 Posts
SteveDude said:
Yeah...that CVT takes some getting used to. When I first test drove my Caliber, I thought I was going 35, when in fact I was going 65! Thankfully, I was on a highway at the time.
No kidding. I've had it almost 4 months and really shoulda been using my speed control today. Lucky for me the stater had someone else in mind. Too easy to speed and not even know it. Beauty of a day. Mid 70's and sunny today took highway 509 and unlike I-5 No one in front of me. Good luck with whatever you do about ticket!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts