Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am about to get my Inferno Red Caliber R/T fully load except for leather, within the next few days and I was just wondering how everyone has liked it so far and what they think about the satellite radio??

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
clovett said:
Hey all, I am about to get my Inferno Red Caliber R/T fully load except for leather, within the next few days and I was just wondering how everyone has liked it so far and what they think about the satellite radio??
Welcome to caliberforums clovett!!:):)

I don't have one YET!, but I am sure MANY of the members will be willing to give you feedback first hand!:)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
86 Posts
clovett said:
I can't speak on the car (yet) but Sirius kicks ass. Terrestrial radio
is crap compared to Sirius. Well worth the monthly fee. Howard
Stern rules!

·
Registered
47 Posts
clovett said:

I have not listened to FM radio since I got my Caliber with Sirius. It's definitely the only way to go for radio. I'm a subscriber for life.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well worth the money! We had ours turned on since picking the R/T up at the dealer and havnt had it on fm or cd since. I have XM in my PT and compaired to Sirius it sux.
mike

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does Sirius have commercials? XM recently turned about 1/3 of their "music-only" stations into "about 3 commercials every hour" stations. The commericals suck too... like they're ads for vacuums and real-estate-profit-schemes. Hell, they even put in crappy ads advertising other XM stations. I wouldn't care if the DJ advertised an artists upcoming CD or talked about concerts ... but a recorded, bulls*it ads during the music make me regret paying them money to get "commercial free" radio.

·
Registered
911 Posts
No, Sirius Satellite Radio is 100% commercial free. Thats one reason why you have to pay to listen to it.

I also agree...I've listened to both XM and Sirius satellite radio and I think Sirius is way better. To me, Sirius had better stations, and played better music. We get Sirius Satellite Radio off Dish Network and listen it quite frequently.

·
Registered
269 Posts
yeah, I feel cheated because I pay money right now to listen to digital music that is peppered with commercials. I mean, commercials in the live / sports / talk-radio stuff / comedy channels were okay.... to an extent.... but when the ads found their way to the music channels... that just sucks.

I'm looking forward to dropping XM soon :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
I haven't heard any commercials on any of the XM music stations I listen too. Months ago they had a few but when Sirius went commercial free it is my understanding that XM did the same on it's music channels.

They do have commercials on news, talk, comedy etc. stations on XM but so does Sirius. I have XM in one vehicle and Sirius in my Caliber. Similar programming to me. Can't say ones better than the other because its really subjective.

I do find that Sirius sounds rather flat. FM or a CD sounds considerably better due to the compression used with Sirius. XM is also compressed but I find it sounds a bit better. Difficult to compare since I have an Alpine head unit with Infinity speakers in my XM vehicle and the 6 disc Mopar head unit with musicgate in my Caliber.

I greatly prefer sat. radio over FM. Great selection.

·
Registered
68 Posts
holeydonut said:
Does Sirius have commercials? XM recently turned about 1/3 of their "music-only" stations into "about 3 commercials every hour" stations. The commericals suck too... like they're ads for vacuums and real-estate-profit-schemes. Hell, they even put in crappy ads advertising other XM stations. I wouldn't care if the DJ advertised an artists upcoming CD or talked about concerts ... but a recorded, bulls*it ads during the music make me regret paying them money to get "commercial free" radio.
Woah what stations are you listening to? It's ONLY the Clear Channel stations that have commercials. XM doesn't have control over these stations. You will see a cm symbol next to CC Stations, also you will notice they are under the "Regional Section" on the channel guide. XM doesn't want CC to have these stations but CC is using a clause they have in a contract XM Signed with them that they have the right to control so many stations and get so much bandwidth which is why XM can't just shove them up into the 100's where they will be forgotten. The contract runs until 2008 i believe, then XM can pull the plug on CC's stations if they want.

XM created new stations to replace the ones being taken over by Clear Channel.
Clear Channel --> XM Equivilant:

XM 21 KISS --> XM Hitlist - XM 30
XM 22 Mix --> Flight 26 - XM 26
XM 24 Sunny --> Escape - XM 78
XM 11 Nashville --> U.S Country - XM 17

Just wanted to clear that up, XM programmed music stations are ALL 100% Commercial Free. The CC stations started commercials early June, CC took over in May.

·
Registered
901 Posts
tkyoshi said:
Woah what stations are you listening to? It's ONLY the Clear Channel stations that have commercials...
omg, can't ClearChannel leave ANYthing alone??!! grrr.

·
Registered
371 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
omg, can't ClearChannel leave ANYthing alone??!! grrr.
Of course not! Their goal is to take over everything! A few years ago, they took the only REAL rock station off the air in Houston-Rock 101, KLOL- and replaced it with mega latino hip hop. I had heard that xm was partially owned by c.c., which may not be true, but to me, they are guilty by association. clear channel will let you hear what they want you to hear. My heart and ears belong to Sirius! Love the Vault.
Fitz

·
Registered
683 Posts
All station owners play what they believe will get them the most $'s and C.C. is no different. Hip Hop/Rap, etc. seem to have huge audiences. Sucks cuz I can't stand that kind of music. I flip around between 70's, 80's and 90's rock and sometimes Jazz.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fitz said:
Of course not! Their goal is to take over everything! A few years ago, they took the only REAL rock station off the air in Houston-Rock 101, KLOL- and replaced it with mega latino hip hop. I had heard that xm was partially owned by c.c., which may not be true, but to me, they are guilty by association. clear channel will let you hear what they want you to hear. My heart and ears belong to Sirius! Love the Vault.
Fitz
Yes that's correct, Clear Channel did have a stake in XM in the early days, but they don't "own" any part of XM anymore. But as part of their investment in the early days, XM promised CC so much bandwidth in return for their investment. In addition XM has no say what CC does on their stations, XM and CC went to court over this agreement but XM lost. I guess little did they know it would come back to bite them.

General Motors and Honda also hold stakes in the company. They also can use some of the bandwidth as a result too GM is currently using theirs for OnStar.

·
Registered
371 Posts
tkyoshi said:
Yes that's correct, Clear Channel did have a stake in XM in the early days, but they don't "own" any part of XM anymore. But as part of their investment in the early days, XM promised CC so much bandwidth in return for their investment. In addition XM has no say what CC does on their stations, XM and CC went to court over this agreement but XM lost. I guess little did they know it would come back to bite them.

General Motors and Honda also hold stakes in the company. They also can use some of the bandwidth as a result too GM is currently using theirs for OnStar.
Great info, and thank you! I had no idea all of that was going on. So maybe I have been a little harsh on XM, but I will always have a bitter hatred fo clear channel. Still loyal to Sirius though. Again- thanks.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have both Sirius and XM between vehicles and home. Overall I prefer XM but only for minor things.

On XM cities have their own channel for traffic. Sirius shares 1 channel per two cities so you have to wait for updates for your city.

I find Sirius has more commercials on the channels I listen to than XM. Could be just the particular channels.

Sirius has Howard Stern. Thats a lot of bandwidth that could be used for better things!! Ok, I admit it...I can't stand the guy!! lol

BUT...Sirius is free for a year with my new Caliber. Can't beat that! I do like the Blue Collar Comedy better than XM's Laugh USA channel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had XM for a while, and I hated it, nothing for me, After listening to XM for a while, I felt out of touch with new music. I don't feel that way with Sirius. I love my Sirius.

Don't forget XM had Playboy as an added charge for the subscription, and Playboy moved to Sirius as a Free Channel that you just have to call to added to your programming. They had more people add it to Sirius on the first day than they had subscribers on XM paying for it.

Sirius only has commercials on Entertainment channels, Sirius is the only Satellite Radio that has 100% Commercial Free Music channels. XM has Commercials on 4 of it's clear channel Music Channels. XM to be able to say it has the same number of Commercial Free Music Channels, added 4 new Music Channels without commercials.

Clear Channel made an investment in XM Radio in 1998, and they received 4 channels from that investment in XM, and in Arbitration they were awarded the right to play Commercials on those channels until the year 2008.

Here is an article about the Commercials on the Music Channels.

http://radio.about.com/od/xmsatelliteradio/a/aa061206a.htm

Sorry this is so long, but I am happy DCX is partnering with Sirius.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've got sirius at home with dish network. Got xm in 2 cars, and a portable. I actually prefer xm, I like their "deep tracks" channel better than sirius's, and I like being able to listen to all the MLB games, plus I refuse to pay the salary of that idiot stern

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the R/T come with already installed Sirius Radio system? I have an R/T coming in possibly today and didn't know it had that option?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did not get Sirius when I ordered my Caliber. But I installed it myself a week or so ago. I love it. :) I prefer the after market version because it displays very nicely. But it's hard to beat that free-for-a-year thing. Go Sirius!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts