Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my caliber the other day and there are a couple of things that bother me. First is the arm rest. Is there any way to lock it into place? Everytime I brake, it slides forward.....very annoying. Also, I can't figure out how to turn on my fog lights. The dealer had to order my owners manual, so I'm kinda in the dark. Also, is there a break-in period? What are the rules when breaking in a car. Am I not supposed to be going over a certain RPM? I hope not b/c I have been driving the hell outta this thing.

Anyway....hope you guys can help. Also, this is my first forum experience, so I hope I put this in the right place.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
First off welcome to caliberforums!:)

Were are the pictures???:D:D Make sure you post some, you may get hounded for not posting them. Most are picture crazy including myself!:D:D:D

Being that you are new, I will not bust your chops about using the search function LOL:D:cool:

1. The sliding arm rest is a well known issue/ problem, no "professional" fix for it yet.

2. Fog Lights: Put into the Parking light spot or headlight spot and pull toward the driver window. The end of the stalk will pull out. There will be a "green light symbol" that will light in the dash to let you know they are on.

3. Break-in is a touchy subject, everyone will say something different. There is a 4 plus page thread dedicated to this already!:D I will see if I can find it.

Welcome again to the forum experience!:)

Some thread that may be of interest to you:

Sliding Arm Rest/ other issues:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360&highlight=sliding

Engine Break-in Related:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297&highlight=breakin

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042&highlight=breakin

Fog Lights:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024&highlight=fog+lights

·
Registered
19 Posts
paratoke said:
I just got my caliber the other day and there are a couple of things that bother me. First is the arm rest. Is there any way to lock it into place? Everytime I brake, it slides forward.....very annoying. Also, I can't figure out how to turn on my fog lights. The dealer had to order my owners manual, so I'm kinda in the dark. Also, is there a break-in period? What are the rules when breaking in a car. Am I not supposed to be going over a certain RPM? I hope not b/c I have been driving the hell outta this thing.

Anyway....hope you guys can help. Also, this is my first forum experience, so I hope I put this in the right place.
I have been on test drive week ago and feel the same discomfort. Caliber owner's, how did you cure this "bug"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have read that people are having problem with the arm rest sliding to freely, but mine happens to be the oposite! I actually have to pull pretty hard to move mine forward..... My build date is June.. Don't know if they have solved the problem now...

:)

Mike A

paratoke said:

·
Registered
19 Posts
malex said:
I have read that people are having problem with the arm rest sliding to freely, but mine happens to be the oposite! I actually have to pull pretty hard to move mine forward..... My build date is June.. Don't know if they have solved the problem now...

:)

Mike A
I think, that arm rest sliding should be locked few times through it's way for most comfort.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i just keep my right arm rested on it, it is an arm rest after all. or you could just put a nice long wood screw through it:D

·
Registered
371 Posts
I guess I just got lucky on the armrest. Mine doesn't slide by itself no matter how hard I drive or stop it. I also love the fact that I can just slap it forward or backward with my elbow or forearm. On a long trip, I also put a pad on the center and left armrest. It's not permanent yet, but it's one of those interior mods that you can dream about for nights, and think about how cool you can make this thing. I for one, am glad that Dodge gave me a chance to kustomize my own interior, although I don't really think that was their intent.

·
Registered
83 Posts
a little of the soft-side of velcro does the trick... just position it right...

·
Registered
131 Posts
For the break in, the dealer told me it was around 2000 miles without any hard driving. Try to keep the rpms no higher than 3500.

·
Banned
554 Posts
^ Wrong thread.

But anyways, my dealer(cousin) told me.....pin that chit to the floor & let's see if there's anything wrong with it. LOL. Seriously though I have been driving mine hard right out of the gate, just like I have with all my previous new vehicles. I have little sessions to vary the RPM's. I keep it @ 2000 for a bit, then 3000, then 4, then 5, then 6. I also try not to use the cruise control for the first 5000KM or so, but that doesn't really accomplish anything with the CVT. I just don't like keeping the RPM's in one spot for too long with a new motor.

Sorry for the novel. That's how I break-in, I'm sure people will disagree.

*cliff notes* I don't baby my motors while breaking them in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones, mine does not move all that easy. I find myself playing with it though. Sliding it back and forth as I drive home from work. I like the feature.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My armrest never moves unless I push/pull it. It seems pretty tight/stiff.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, I'm 6'4". I drive with the seat all the way back and want the arm rest all the way back too. Got tired of it sliding around on it's own, so I used the long screw up from the bottom fix.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Old_Dude said:
Well, I'm 6'4". I drive with the seat all the way back and want the arm rest all the way back too. Got tired of it sliding around on it's own, so I used the long screw up from the bottom fix.
Speaking of being tall, I am also 6'4", of course my seat is all the way back. I was impressed by all the leg room and head room when I got in it the first time. Even with the seat all the way back, there is still a bit of leg room left for the back seat occupants.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I took my armrest apart to put some velcro on the underside. It had a ton of grease on it. No wonder it slid way too easy. I cleaned off the grease and put the velcro on. It helps quite a bit but still a bit too easy to slide.

·
Registered
140 Posts
so does anybody know if this is something that dodge has identified and begun to change or is it just the luck of the draw with who gets the stiff armrest, my wife hates the feature of it freely sliding, we think there should be a locking feature to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts