Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am closing my tailgate, my hand sometimes slips off the handle. Here is a quick fix. I used a Tub grip tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
that plastic feels too flimsy to me for repeated use, so I just reach around top and push down from above the liscence plate area. Good idea on the tape tho.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ditto that..just hate the fingerprints then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're neurotic about your paint like I am then avoid fingerprinting it at all costs. It'll eat it up slowly but surely. Those "handles" are awful on my wrists. Must find a better way...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I installed a grab handle out of a 1st year Durango. It looks great but a day after i installed it the handle broke and I haven't been able to find another one that matches the interior color because most of them are the darker charcoal color. If you do it though, make darn sure you get it into the metal and that you don't drill through your tailgate as that would really suck if it tor out the interior panel or came through the sheetmetal.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
BOWIE said:
If you're neurotic about your paint like I am then avoid fingerprinting it at all costs. It'll eat it up slowly but surely. Those "handles" are awful on my wrists. Must find a better way...
I do use an inside plastic hand grip area to initially pull down the tailgate to a certain point.

I simply added some extra padding under the license plate (to prevent it from rubbing/vibrating against the paint - not a good factory design), and gently but steadily press down on IT when closing the tailgate the rest of the way...

No need to touch any paint with your hands that way, and the tailgate closes firmly without any undue force.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts