Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typical morons out there that like to oper their car doors without keeping a grip on them just nailed my driver's side door on the Cali...

Talk about being pissed off. Swear to Jeebus if I came out and caught him in Ottawa his car would be trashed. :mad:

Anyways, what type of polish/ rubbing compund do you use to get the scuffs out?

Keep in mind the moron didn't get it down to the primer, just the clear coat is marred.

Any tips? (Beside parking over a kilometer away from any buildings?

Regards

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Recce

I use a product called "Scratch Doctor" by Nu Finnish

It works well. I picked it up at Canadian Tire

·
Registered
65 Posts
On my SX 2.0 Someone dinged my door with their green car. I took some real fine sand paper and water. Went over it VERY lightly, came right off. Used some claybar, polish then a coat of wax. Just like new.....

Pics!

Before:

After:

Much better!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Alot of manufacturers make a scratch remover. Cant say which is the best, but Mother's makes one, and I like their products.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
This may sound really weird, but at school when this clown dinged the truck i used the handle on my key to get rid of it. Now mind ou if you have keyless entry/remote locks (buttons on your key) this won't work, i just rubbed the rubber part of the key against it and it buffed right out! I have not found anything that has helped me remove marks really well - i notice them on a black truck!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
depending on the depth of the scratches or if its just material on the surface ill use different grade rubbing compounds followed by a glaze and polish.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas troops.....keep 'em coming.

As it stands right now they are a normal scuff, not very deep in the paint at all. Getting out the 1500 grit and wet sanding is a bit on the harsh side.

It's been a while since I actually cared about the paint on my car, seeing as the last one was a 95 Neon.

That being said, there have been leaps in automotive detailing supplies out there...to the point that I'm not sure what the best one is out there anymore.

I've been out shopping and comparing different brand name polishing/ rubbing compounds, but at this point they pretty much all claim the same.

Regards

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I dont recommend wet sanding unless you know what your doing. Factory clear coat is not something a novice should try sanding on because it is very thin and once you go through you will kick yourself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hence why I said:
Getting out the 1500 grit and wet sanding is a bit on the harsh side
;)

I'm looking at using a polish or a light rubbing compound....and nothing more.

Of course a good coat of wax to protect it all when it's all said and done.

Regards

·
Registered
644 Posts
TR3 Polish works great... just dont rub to hard with it.. its pretty potent stuff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts