Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic covering on the steering wheel is peeling off where my hands grip it.:mad:

I wonder how the dealer is going to remedy this because simply replacing the steering wheel won't work (unless I simply got a lemon steering wheel). Anyone else notice anything like this yet?

First time this has ever happened to me... especially on a new car. I mean I've had cars where the plastic covering has deteriorated but it would happen after/around 70k miles... not 2k miles!

·
Registered
901 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
what???? wow. whoa. that sucks.

But I have the leather-wrapped wheel, so, I can't compare.

·
Registered
182 Posts
GOT said:
The plastic covering on the steering wheel is peeling off where my hands grip it.:mad:

I wonder how the dealer is going to remedy this because simply replacing the steering wheel won't work (unless I simply got a lemon steering wheel). Anyone else notice anything like this yet?

First time this has ever happened to me... especially on a new car. I mean I've had cars where the plastic covering has deteriorated but it would happen after/around 70k miles... not 2k miles!
Sorry to hear about that! The dealer will be able to remedy that for sure. I looked at other forums and could not find anybody else that this has happened to.

·
Registered
182 Posts
GOT said:
Here's some images from the front and back/side:
Dude...that looks like a gouge or something....like someone dug thier finger nail in! Anybody borrow yer car? Maybe it is just the angle of the picture. Looks to me like the wheel will have to be replaced.....when they do replace it....maybe spend a couple of bucks extra and upgrade to the "Leather wrapped" steering wheel! This will protect any future problems! Sorry again about the defect.
Cheers!

·
Banned
400 Posts
Hey Got, maybe you're holding the wheel too tight!:D
Seriously, the dealer should replace it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
umf said:
Dude...that looks like a gouge or something....like someone dug thier finger nail in! Anybody borrow yer car? Maybe it is just the angle of the picture. Looks to me like the wheel will have to be replaced.....when they do replace it....maybe spend a couple of bucks extra and upgrade to the "Leather wrapped" steering wheel! This will protect any future problems! Sorry again about the defect.
Cheers!
It's not a gouge. At first the plastic stuff was lose, like a bubble or something (noticed on June 1st). Then it tore. NOBODY borrows my cars... learned the hard way. My wife drives it too, and she has short nails, but it's not a cut or gouge. It has torn/broken away. Either I have lemon-wheel or others will experience the same thing.

STEELBLueCALI said:
Hey Got, maybe you're holding the wheel too tight!:D
Seriously, the dealer should replace it.
LOL, but man I hav'ta hold on tight with so much power:D

Yes, I'm gonna get a leather wheel, fo'sure! My 89 Wolfsburg Golf has one and it's nice and still intact (the wheel that is. The rest or that Golf is failing under the abuse of my little brother).

·
Registered
182 Posts
At closer look...yah...probably a bubble and just got worse....definately get a replacement. Who knows....for your troubles...try and get the leather one for free :D ! Inconvenience and a lemon wheel count for something right :D !

·
Registered
118 Posts
From my time spent doing accelerated life testing on coatings, many times automotive interiors, that does look like a fault with the coating on the steering wheel.

The delamination is indicative of a poor bond to the substrate, something that would have been tested prior to release.

More than likely, a replacement wheel will solve the problem, dirt (even a fingerprint) or an improper cure may have caused this to happen. Worst case should be that a lot (batch) of them might have an issue.

Ways that we would have tested for this kind of failure include applying various cleaners, chemicals, and common contaminants (artificial perspiration was the worst) to the test sample with a standard cloth and 'finger'. Then the sample would be crosshatch cut with razor blades, and a tape with a known adhesion property would be used to attempt to delaminate the coating. That was an extremely abusive test. Temperature and humidity would also be varied (very low and high) with similar evaluation methods.

The dealer should fix this, at least once.

Dale

·
Registered
506 Posts
honestly i think you gotta ease off on the kung fu grip i never heard of anything like that ever... but i think the dealer will fix that... even if it is kung fu related... they won't ever know... maybe a bubble got underneath when they stuck the stuff on there?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the Caliber in for service today. By this morning the delaminating was a lot worse. There was a bubbled area about 8 inches long up one side of the wheel and I had to be extra gentle with it so it wouldn't tear all up. They are going to replace the wheel. I was told by the service department that they can't get me the leather wheel. :( I'm checking out some other avenues...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I've thought about a leather wrap. However those things increase the grip size and they always fall apart and look trashy... at least from what I've seen and gripped. And some I've seen have an strange way of being fastened to the wheel that is low quality and lose fitting.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wheelskins look great, hold on to the wheel real well, and looks great for a very long time, you can even get them in two tone or multi-color.
http://wheelskins.com/

You can get Wheelskins cheaper by searching the net, but I highly recommend them.

One little tidbit, if you like the red as one of your color choices, Wheelskins has two reds, they don't advertise the other red, it is a red they only use for Corvettes, it is a better red I think, and they will use it if you ask for it, costs just a couple of dollars more for it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealer fixed the delaminating steering wheel, thankfully. By the time the part came in it was tearing apart in three places.

They did check to see if the leather wheel could be swapped without getting the wheel-mounted-audio-controls... and it can! So that's the next thing I'm getting (from http://www.speedandpowerdevelopment.com/ who is a sponsor over at SRTforums.com http://www.srtforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=221 ), of course after I get the Euro-mirrors he ordered for me:cool:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Oh man that is NOT cool! That should definitely not happen on a car with 2k miles. They better fix it. Good luck

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
katiescaliber said:
Oh man that is NOT cool! That should definitely not happen on a car with 2k miles. They better fix it. Good luck
Thanks and yes, they did fix it. Everything is good now... except that I wanted a leather wheel and they wouldn't do it. Now I have to pay extra to get the leather wheel instaled. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I thought the leather wrapped steering wheel was standard on the SXTs?? Mine has it, and it wasn't listed as an option on the window sticker.

·
Registered
371 Posts
HSKR said:
I thought the leather wrapped steering wheel was standard on the SXTs?? Mine has it, and it wasn't listed as an option on the window sticker.
Maybe it's just standard if you have Musicgate with the steering wheel controls? That's the way mine is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts