Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to say hello to everyone.
Have had my Black SXT with the sport package for a little over two months.
So far so good. Now for the question.

What is solar conrol glass? And what is it supposed to do?

Take it easy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
well i know it doesnt get dark when uv rays are present like a pair of eyeglasses would, so i think its to protect the interior from the rays. dont know for sure, but thats what im guessing

·
Registered
131 Posts
Solar glass helps the cabin stay cooler, thus making the less efficient air conditioning units cool better. Regular glass isn't that efficient and more heat from the sun penetrates the cabin and the a/c has to work harder. The new coolant (versus freon) isn't as efficient. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You are wrong, Freon 134a is just as efficent as R-12 when compensated with better airflow, and all cars designed since 134a become the standard have taken into account 134a's properties. Oh and just so you know, this is the funny part, guess how they make 134a, they have to make R-12 first. :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you look at it, it has a very slight tint.

Anyway it's real purpose is to filter out UV rays to protect the interior and such (also helps prevent you from getting sunburned ;)). You'll notice that if you have a pair of glasses with Transition Lenses, they won't darken at all in the car because there isn't enough UV present to activate it and cause it to go dark.

The darkened glass is referred to as 'Privacy Glass' (It would say that on your sticker sheet).

·
Registered
371 Posts
tkyoshi said:
If you look at it, it has a very slight tint.

Anyway it's real purpose is to filter out UV rays to protect the interior and such (also helps prevent you from getting sunburned ;)). You'll notice that if you have a pair of glasses with Transition Lenses, they won't darken at all in the car because there isn't enough UV present to activate it and cause it to go dark.

The darkened glass is referred to as 'Privacy Glass' (It would say that on your sticker sheet).
Who the heck are you tkyoshi? Every time I see your name, I know I'm going to learn something new! I might just start calling you Master TK. Keep writing.
Thanks, Fitz.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
ejfb said:
You are wrong, Freon 134a is just as efficent as R-12 when compensated with better airflow...
ROTFL! That's like saying my Caliber is just as fast as an F-16 when it's compensated with a couple of rocket engines.

[puts large tinfoil hat on] Freon 134a is BS! [/puts large tinfoil hat on]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Excuse me = I was in the auto glass industry for 10 years. Been there and done that.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
its uv-protective glass.. so ur dash doesnt fade & it protects your eyes from them as well [i have this on my 1gen - only reason i know this, is because my 'transitions' lenses wouldnt work inside -- they react & change for UV rays, not for sunlight]

·
Registered
245 Posts
This has pretty described above but I figure every bit of input should help. Treated glass is easy to spot if you have a pair of polarized/uv filtered sunglasses, I rarely go outside without mine.

Solar Control glass is a glass which has been specially treated during manufacturing to restrict the amount of infrared/ultraviolet radiation from passing through the glass.

Typical solar control glass results in 13% less visible light while eliminating approx 48% IR/UV radiation. Most noticeably it helps reduce how quickly a car heats up from being parked in direct sunlight. Typically these windows will only appear very slightly tinted to the naked eye.

Most new dodge vehicles come standard with this addition at no charge to the consumer.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts