Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got some cold weather here (-6F) and shortly after starting my car and leaving the driveway the engine light came on for the first time but did not flash. Since the engine light was not flashing the manual says I can keep driving, which I did.

After I got home from work I setup an appointment for Thursday for the car to be looked at. I told them to do an oil change for me and rotate my tires while there. My warranty covers a rental car so after I gave my car to the dealer I setup a rental to leave with right away. I hate to wait around because I know something always comes up and things take longer than expected.

I received a call from the dealer telling me my intake manifold is bad and they ordered the part. They hope the part will be here Monday so all I do is wait.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Thats very strange... bad intake. Trying to think of a physical defect that might throw a code in the cold....maybe egr passage restriction or something along those lines.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i hope they are not cracking. what is your date bulid

·
Registered
96 Posts
Strange indeed. I got a call from my brother on Thursday & he said he has to take his Jeep Compass in (next week - ordered part) for the same repair/replacement.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UTB - My engine is the 2.0L is your brothers the same?

·
Registered
96 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
UTB - My engine is the 2.0L is your brothers the same?
-
I'm pretty certain he has the 2.4L engine. He said the engine light came on & he drove directly to the dealership [Thursday]. Dealership tells him it is the intake manifold & that it was okay to drive w/ light on. Part is not in until monday or so the following week. My brother calls me Friday afternoon and tells me the engine light is OFF, but he is still taking it in to get that intake manifold replaced. He's got the Compass sport . :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UTB - Can you please get the build date (white sticker on inside of drivers door) of you brothers Compass? I'd like to know how close it might be to mine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
UPDATE - The replacement intake manifold is still not in yet so my car still sits at the dealership while I drive a 07 PT Cruiser from the rental company, on Chrysler. I still like my Caliber better though. I recently found out about another Caliber that just went in to the same dealership for the same problem. I assume a TSB will go out soon to help clue dealerships in on the problem to look for saving them time and avoid missing the problem the first time only to send the owner/us out the door ONLY TO RETURN AGAIN when the engine light comes on again. I'll keep you updated.

Still love my care and can't wait to get it back! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just got a call from my brother. He says the light is now OFF. His build date is 07-06. It is in fact the 2.4L which I assumed originally. :)
-

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did they replace the intake manifold?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: As of today, still waiting on the intake manifold (backordered) and still driving a PT Cruiser on Chrysler without heated seats. I want my Caliber back!

·
Registered
253 Posts
tell them you want a new power plant . forget the new manafold replace the works

·
Registered
689 Posts
Head over to the engine installation department, pick up a manifold, take it to dealer and tell them "there", now install it. LOL

Of course, option two would be to have dealer tow to factory, have Engine Assembly redo their work again. :D

Joking of course.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ejfb said:
Head over to the engine installation department, pick up a manifold, take it to dealer and tell them "there", now install it. LOL

Of course, option two would be to have dealer tow to factory, have Engine Assembly redo their work again. :D

hell a new car:confused:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys... the engines are mostly pre-built when we receive them at the plant. Although, I know the repair hole would get a replacement intake manifold faster if needed! :mad:

At this rate I will not the heated leather seats in my car, Winter will be over!

·
Registered
253 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Guys... the engines are mostly pre-built when we receive them at the plant. Although, I know the repair hole would get a replacement intake manifold faster if needed! :mad:

At this rate I will not the heated leather seats in my car, Winter will be over!
who makes them then?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
they are built in 2 Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance plants in Dundee, Michigan. they are built by the Chrysler Group but desiged with the aid of mitsubishi and hyundai.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
ty_s said:
who makes them then?
Made by CEMA, with one plant in Ishiga, Japan and two plants each in South Korea and Dundee, Michigan.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update:

The dealer said the tracking number shows it was shipped last Friday using UPS but still NO part!

If you have not read enough of my posts to know I'm very dedicated and proud to work for DCX. With that said, it just kills me that DCX continues to make the quick and easy cost cuts by eliminating more blue collar jobs. There are so many other areas that they can cut costs but it seems blue collar cuts are just so easy to do.

Lets see DCX must have used the lowest cost shipping to ship my new intake manifold, maybe trying to save some $MONEY$ The only problem is they are also paying daily for me to drive a rental car not to mention every day I don't have my car I get more and more angry. I was right that the intake manifold is assembled on the engine before we receive it at the plant. What I didn't know until recently is that one of the non-dcx partner plants near our plant assemble it on the engine. Yep, a new intake manifold is less than 10 miles away from where I work everyday. I'm not alone since I know there is another Caliber in need of a new intake manifold like mine also waiting on the part.

:END of Rant....until next time!

P.S. - The way this forum lists post in weeks and days is screwy because my Caliber went in the shop on 2-8-07 yet my first post here says I first posted a week ago.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts