Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was browsing through Saturday's newspaper while eating breakfast yesterday when something caught my eye. It was a very vague ad that had a date and the front end of a car.

The average joe probably wouldn't think twice about this, but I immediately recognized what little they gave us of the car as the front fascia of the Caliber SRT4.

So everyone.. below is the ad, scanned from the paper.

"08.19.06" something will happen regarding Caliber SRT... but WHAT!?

What do you guys all think this means?

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
zildjian_drummer3 said:
so...is it normal to annouce pricing 6-7 months before the car is availible to buy?
they could in theory pull in the date a little.. who knows. 6-7 months would be a long time for pricing since it gives competitors like the mazdaspeed 3 time to react, so if it was pricing i would think we would be within 3-6 months of launch

·
Registered
377 Posts
Caliber_SRT4.JPG
Ironside said:
It is definately the Caliber SRT4. I wasn't too sure at first, but I attached the pic I grabbed from the dodge site and it is the axact pic they took that image from. It is definately too early to launch the SRT4, and if it is too early to anounce pricing, then I'm fresh out of ideas. I guess we will have to wait 5 more days.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Probably goes on sale at that time, doesn't matter really, they can't make enough Calibers for sold orders now, they added the Compass to slow things even more, soon to add Patriot to slow it down even more than that, so why not add the SRT4, by the time they could make one, it will be late next year. :eek: :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
ejfb said:
Probably goes on sale at that time, doesn't matter really, they can't make enough Calibers for sold orders now, they added the Compass to slow things even more, soon to add Patriot to slow it down even more than that, so why not add the SRT4, by the time they could make one, it will be late next year. :eek: :eek: :D
Well it is the people in the backlog who are suffering, net new orders with the 3rd shift live seem to be doing better... suppose it depends on your dealer too since I have seen so many driving around that there doesn't appear to be a shortage here lol.

Pricing with availability in 3-6 months would make sense, which if true would mean that we will have an official review in the car magazines in the next couple of months.... but given test mules are still out and about i wouldn't put any faith into the possibility of it being immediately available

·
Registered
87 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
Pricing with availability in 3-6 months would make sense, which if true would mean that we will have an official review in the car magazines in the next couple of months
What do you mean "official car reviews"? i know c&d did a good review on it. That isn't official?

By the way i found this on the dodge website. i've never seen it before and i thought alot of other people might not have either.

http://test.dodge.com/dodge_life/news/autoshow_news/caliber_srt4.html?CMP=AFC-Autoshow

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
zildjian_drummer3 said:
What do you mean "official car reviews"? i know c&d did a good review on it. That isn't official?

By the way i found this on the dodge website. i've never seen it before and i thought alot of other people might not have either.

http://test.dodge.com/dodge_life/news/autoshow_news/caliber_srt4.html?CMP=AFC-Autoshow
The article in May from C&D was a "preview"... no official test data was included such as:

0-60
1/4 mile
breaking
G, lap times etc.
Final pricing
Comparision against the competition (i.e. MS3, HHR SS etc.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
The article in May from C&D was a "preview"... no official test data was included such as:

0-60
1/4 mile
breaking
G, lap times etc.
Final pricing
Comparision against the competition (i.e. MS3, HHR SS etc.)
Oh, ok. i didn't know the difference

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I think that WHATEVER the announcement is, it will be a "trial balloon"-type of action that will gauge market and potential customer reaction - while still providing plenty of time and opportunity to modify and adapt the announcement's content and any other preview details as necessary before the SRT-4's ultimate release.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Harley said:
I think that WHATEVER the announcement is, it will be a "trial balloon"-type of action that will gauge market and potential customer reaction - while still providing plenty of time and opportunity to modify and adapt the announcement's content and any other preview details as necessary before the SRT-4's ultimate release.
I am having a hard time determining what the best "guesstimate" is....

Could be pricing, but IF it is pricing, than the original launch date of March/April 07 doesn't seem likely as that is too long of a time to have pricing information available to the competition who also have yet to launch their products (mazdaspeed 3 and chevy hhr ss)

Could be additional product information, however since January there has been a plethera of announcements, previews etc. as dodge hasn't been shy on sharing the specs.... one would also think that if it were more information on features etc. that it would have come when the car was at SRT nationals

Could be early availabilitiy, however with a backlog of several months of the standard caliber and tons of excitment continuing around the car you'd have to wonder why? They are able to sell them without huge factory discounts, so the model isn't really in need of a dose of excitment.... you'd also think if they were being built someone would see them pilling up in the lot outside of the factory getting ready for shipping, instead new photos of test mules are still showing up so that seems unlikely.

Not everyone has winter like we do in Canada, but a winter launch doesn't make as much sense as an early spring?

Could be a painstakingly long advertising game to slowly reveal some/all of the above questions over a period of time.

So who knows, guess we will have to wait and see what gets out on Friday... do you know where we are supposed to look next for whatever it is that they will be saying?

·
Registered
377 Posts
That add came from the Sat Ed of the Windsor Star. Perhaps somebody could check out the Toronto Star to see if a similar add was placed there as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would assume they'll be posting it in this Saturday's Windsor Star... whatever it is;

Either way, i'll be posting on this forum as soon as I get my hands on that newspaper.

As far as Caliber shortages, I think they are relatively hit or miss depending on your area. Here in Windsor there are plenty, in fact, I just took a fully loaded R/T for a test drive a couple days ago.

Another possibility for this announcement could be Chrysler having a Caliber SRT in Windsor... to either get people's reactions, or to give the local media a 1 on 1. It all sounds VERY unlikely, but consider the fact that Windsor IS the automotive capital of Canada, we have the Chrysler building downtown, AND on SEVERAL occassions Caliber SRT4's have been spotted driving around with manufacturers plates on them (I guess they bring them over here and test them since there are 'less' prying eyes).

Not to mention there are a few big public events going on this weekend including a car show (classic cars mind you.. but who knows).

The waiting continues...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Ironside said:
I would assume they'll be posting it in this Saturday's Windsor Star... whatever it is;

Either way, i'll be posting on this forum as soon as I get my hands on that newspaper.

As far as Caliber shortages, I think they are relatively hit or miss depending on your area. Here in Windsor there are plenty, in fact, I just took a fully loaded R/T for a test drive a couple days ago.

Another possibility for this announcement could be Chrysler having a Caliber SRT in Windsor... to either get people's reactions, or to give the local media a 1 on 1. It all sounds VERY unlikely, but consider the fact that Windsor IS the automotive capital of Canada, we have the Chrysler building downtown, AND on SEVERAL occassions Caliber SRT4's have been spotted driving around with manufacturers plates on them (I guess they bring them over here and test them since there are 'less' prying eyes).

Not to mention there are a few big public events going on this weekend including a car show (classic cars mind you.. but who knows).

The waiting continues...
hmmm that is a good theory... i dodn't see anything on SRT forums so you have to think that the add didn't run anywhere else.... anyone get the star, the post, the sun etc. to confirm?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just recieved a packet here at the dealership I work at and it talks about a new sweepstakes where they are going to give away 3 challenger r/t's, 3 sebrings, and 3 wranglers, it then goes on to say quote....."the sweepstakes will kick off on august 15th and will be held in a prime location in detroit, and this date has been chosen because it precedes the world-famous "woodward dream cruise" which takes place on saturday august 19th." I wonder if that has something to do with it? Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts