Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a few days ago then when I have the engine running and the car is in park, if I hit the brake, I hear a 'clink' sort of noise. If I put my hand on the shifter, I can feel it move a bit as well.

I had it checked out and was told that there is a piston inside the shifter that won't allow it to move unless the brake is pressed, and the noise I hear is the piston pulling out and going back in.

I was wondering if anyone else has this happening? I Just noticed it this weekend, I'm not 100% sure if it was, or wasn't, happening before.

·
Registered
775 Posts
CVT or manual?

I have the 5sp and have not noticed anything like that.

EDIT: It's Monday, that's the only explanation for being so slow today. Of course you have a CVT. There's no need to have the manual shifter tied in with the brakes. Doing so would make it damn near impossible to shift gears while driving. But I can see something like that on an automatic, don't exactly want to shift into drive or reverse without something to keep the car from moving. Kind of like the clutch safety switch on the manuals (can't start the car in gear with the clutch released). It must be a safety thing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I got the car back, I did try to shift out of Park with my foot not on the brake. It wouldn't budge ouf ot Park. So I guess there's is SOME truth there. I'm just wondering if it should be noticable with a sound/feel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's a safety feature so you don't accidentally knock the car into gear. It is designed so you can't take the car out of park without your foot on the brake, and some cars won't let you go from neutral to reverse or reverse to park without the brake either (I haven't and won't try it on the Cali though)

However I do hear a slight click when I have pressed the brake down enough to move the shifter.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My brother's chevy lumina does this, and it is very loud when you step on the brake to unlock the shifter. I don't notice it much in the Cali though, I'll train my ear to see if I hear it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is in the car's manual, you have to have the brake push down in order to shift out of park. If you try to shift out of park without the brake down you can damage your car (manual said that) if you can.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I didn't remembe that from the manual :/

I just wanted to be sure this noise, that I only recently started hearing, was normal. When I got home and turned off the car, I didn't hear it. So I pressed the brake again and there it was.

I suppose it's just one of those things that I never noticed. Then when I DID notice it, it stood out. Kind of like a rattle some where that drives you nuts once you know its there ;)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Someone posted a few months ago that if you can't shift out of park even pressing on the brake that there is a access plug on the right side of the consol that you can remove and release the shifter manually. This brake to shift stuff was first put in by Audi some twenty years ago when they got screwed over by the 60 Minutes story about runaway Audis. It turned out it was old folks who didn't know the gas pedal from the brake pedal.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I remember the post about the access plug, it's good to know there's some kind of back up incase something gets stuck.

This morning I started the car and got going with out noticing the noise. I checked it again, and there it was. Same thing when I got to work, didn't notice it. So I guess it's safe to say I just wasn't paying attention to something that was there all along, then happened to notice it and it stood out.

Thanks again for the replies :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had that problem. I forgot my lights on (stupid I know) and my battery went dead. I could not figure out how to get it into Neutral. Even pushing the brake did nothing. Luckily I had a pair of really long jumper cables and now everything is normal. But I was wondering what should I do next time? Has anyone actually played with this access plug, I will have to take a look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
976 Posts
de_great said:
I just had that problem. I forgot my lights on (stupid I know) and my battery went dead. I could not figure out how to get it into Neutral. Even pushing the brake did nothing. Luckily I had a pair of really long jumper cables and now everything is normal. But I was wondering what should I do next time? Has anyone actually played with this access plug, I will have to take a look at it tomorrow.
The shifter as you know is locked in PARK unless you step on the brake,
it actuates an electrical lock solenoid to unlock the shifter hence no
battery power no solenoid action.
Having said that if you look on the right side of the transmission
console(passenger foot area) you will see a round pop out access
hole,remove and use your LED flashlight look in and push actuator
this will let you move it from PARK even if battery is dead or disconnected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts