Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually around the first of the month when I scratch the check for my ATV payment - the one that's been sitting dormant in my garage ever since I traded my truck in.

I don't miss the extra $150 a month or so that it cost me in gas however.

This sucks, not sure what to do now. Can't participate in my favorite hobby. Sorry - just whining a little :(

·
Registered
644 Posts
kept ,my ram and bought the caliber... the fiance has to have her big truck.... it wasnt optional...lol

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bulldogger said:
I feel your pain. I'm hoping it will pass with time.
It won't. I miss my truck just about every day.

·
Registered
506 Posts
yea dude get a small flat trailer and put the ATV on that... or ok this is kinda crazy... but you could STREET LEGAL THE ATV AND TAKE THAT ON THE COMMUTE TO WORK... think how awesome that would be... i'd do it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mudstone said:
yea dude get a small flat trailer and put the ATV on that...
That was my plan from the moment I even considered buying this car, but an acquaintance at a dealership basically scared me out of it. His take was that even if I stayed under the towing weight limit (which I would be), if I ever had a transmission problem down the line any dealer seeing a hitch on the car would do their best to get out of the warranty claim.

So why the heck does DC manufacture their own hitch for this thing if they don't want anyone using it?:mad:

Anyway, I need to do something. It's killing me that the year is half over and I haven't ridden at all. I'm even considering renting a storage space that's only 4 miles from where I do most of my riding so it would be like barely towing at all, but I haven't found out what that would cost yet.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
quadrajet said:
That was my plan from the moment I even considered buying this car, but an acquaintance at a dealership basically scared me out of it. His take was that even if I stayed under the towing weight limit (which I would be), if I ever had a transmission problem down the line any dealer seeing a hitch on the car would do their best to get out of the warranty claim.

So why the heck does DC manufacture their own hitch for this thing if they don't want anyone using it?:mad:

Anyway, I need to do something. It's killing me that the year is half over and I haven't ridden at all. I'm even considering renting a storage space that's only 4 miles from where I do most of my riding so it would be like barely towing at all, but I haven't found out what that would cost yet.
they can't deny your claim unless they can prove with absolute certainty that the part in question voided your claim which if you are within the specs advertised than that shouldn't be an issue.

That is like them saying they denied your claim because the seats look worn and you might have had passengers in the car which was within the weight specs and you should have not driven your car with passengers to be safe lol.

Get the trailer, take her easy and enjoy your atv... stuff like that has a way of turning around and quickly making you hate the cause of your dissatisfaction

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thats why they have maximum towing weights and such. The vehicle is rated to tow a certain amount, and it even has a factory hitch option. As long as you stay within the parameters they can't do anything. They would have to prove that you towed something beyond the vehicle specs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You're safe as long as you have your dealer install a factory towing package.

Aftermarket tow kit would be sketchy, especially if installed anywhere other than a Dodge dealer.

So, my professional opinion? Go to your dealer and get the tow kit installed, find a trailer just big enough for your ATV and go riding. Total combo wouldn't be more than about 800 pounds anyways. 800 pounds is me and 2 friends...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
salesman_type_guy said:
You're safe as long as you have your dealer install a factory towing package.

Aftermarket tow kit would be sketchy, especially if installed anywhere other than a Dodge dealer.

So, my professional opinion? Go to your dealer and get the tow kit installed, find a trailer just big enough for your ATV and go riding. Total combo wouldn't be more than about 800 pounds anyways. 800 pounds is me and 2 friends...
I apprectiate all the replies everyone, you are making me feel a little better about my purchase.

One little hitch though (no pun intended) - I can buy a mopar hitch and wiring kit and have a dealer install it. No problem there. But - the factory towing package (which wasnt even available yet when I bought mine) also includes a transmission oil cooler. I cant even find a part number for that piece and I doubt it's something that can be dealer installed as an afterthought.

I would be under the 1000 pound limit. My current quad weighs 650 and the aluminum trailer I am considering weighs only 200. If I had to, I would even sell my current quad for a smaller, lighter sport version like a 250cc which only weigh 350. I just don't want to give up the hobby I love!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts