Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, last Friday night just after midnight I was out in the middle of nowhere, about halfway between Lancaster, PA and Hershey, PA. I locked my keys and my cell phone in my car.

I had to flag down a random person, borrow their cell phone and call my car insurance. The long story short is that no towtruck service could be reached, and the local police would not come out. I had to give a call to my brother and have him drive near 2 hours up to me with my spare key.

Last night I went to True Value and had a key made for two dollars.

The key will unlock the door, and then the alarm goes off. The only way I got to turn the alarm off then was to start the car with my real key. When I tried to start the car with this new copy, it would start up then immediately go completely dead. The only way I to start the car then was to open the door and pull the hood release latch, then it would start (how odd is that?).

Additionally, if you start your car with a real key, get out and lock the doors, the original spare key from the dealer will only unlock the door if you physically put the car in the door and turn it. The key fob will not work.

Anyone played around with keys yet? :D

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
The Caliber's original has a chip in the key and will ONLY start with a chipped key that is programmed to your car! The spare should open it, but will not start it.

Why it is going off when you open it with the spare, maybe new technology I am not familliar with. The only thing that I can think of is that even with the chipped key, opening them using the keyhole, the car is still sensing the chip. The spare lacks the chip so it thinks someone just broke in?!?!?

·
Registered
432 Posts
"The only way I to start the car then was to open the door and pull the hood release latch, then it would start (how odd is that?)."

Are you saying that the True Value key would start the engine when the door was open and the hood latch released?

If yes did the engine stay running when you closed the hood and door?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've been putting off getting another key for a while now. I forget, or something comes up :X CAA gave me a plastic key in a business card holder for my old car, it saved my butt a number of times!

I'm lucky that I haven't locked the keys in the car yet, the "ding" the car makes when I open the door wth the key in the ignition does a good job at reminding me, but it'll be no help if I have the keys on the passenger seat while I'm making a call that lasts 10 minutes or so..

G

·
Same thing happened with my neon one day. But definately interesting about your story and the doors locking and what not

·
Registered
976 Posts
If I lock mine with the keyfob but open manually with the same key my
alarm goes off.
I had the dealership cut a straight key which I carry in my wallet in case
I locked the regular key in the car,I have been debating on whether or
not to pick up a key vault(like real estate people use) and put the other
keyfob in it and lock it some where in the car.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Principal said:
the "ding" the car makes when I open the door wth the key in the ignition does a good job at reminding me, .
I haven't tried it yet, but most cars have a lock out feature, if the key is in the ignition, you cannot lock the doors once its open.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Haha, when I had just gotten my Neon and it was on day 2... I forgot I had the lights on and the car must've been "dinging" and all, but some reason I completely toned it out! Car was dead, and got a jump start from a security patrol car, lol! :eek:

Just reminded me when you were talking about the chime!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I tried the lock thing this morning. The car wouldn't lock when I pressed the button on the door with the key in the igntion. The FOb did work though. So I'll have to avoid opening the door, locking it, getting distracted by something, getting out of the car, closing door :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Principal said:
I tried the lock thing this morning. The car wouldn't lock when I pressed the button on the door with the key in the igntion. The FOb did work though. So I'll have to avoid opening the door, locking it, getting distracted by something, getting out of the car, closing door :)
That's funny, because I locked my keys in the car, with the ignition switch on, motor not running, and tranny in neutral. I had to call autoclub to come out and open up the car for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Old_Dude said:
That's funny, because I locked my keys in the car, with the ignition switch on, motor not running, and tranny in neutral. I had to call autoclub to come out and open up the car for me.
If the car is in the ON position, it is assumed you are IN the car so it will not lockout the power locks.

If you have the key in the OFF position and try to lock using the power locks, it will not lock along with the dinging sound.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would have assumed that if the keys are in the ignition, in any position, running or not, you would not be able to open the door and attempt to lock it. All my previous cars with power locks operated this way.

(something to try tonight)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
tkyoshi said:
If you have the key in the OFF position and try to lock using the power locks, it will not lock along with the dinging sound.
You're right, but you can still lock your keys in by pushing down the manual lock button on the door sill when exiting the car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wouldn't you know it... I just locked my keys in the car as I described above .. Frackin' Frack. Had to spend $30 on a taxi to get home and back wth the spare. So now, I got me a key for my wallet. Should have done it long ago. Oh well.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Calibers sold in Canada have 100,000 km roadside assistance included,
if you have the number from the owners package they will send someone
to where you locked yourself out and get you back in for your keys.
They sent me a nice wallet size laminated card that's always at hand.

·
Registered
361 Posts
bigtsr said:
Calibers sold in Canada have 100,000 km roadside assistance included,
if you have the number from the owners package they will send someone
to where you locked yourself out and get you back in for your keys.
They sent me a nice wallet size laminated card that's always at hand.
Is it possible to have them send out a card like that even if you don't require their services at the time? I had one of those from CAA for my old car, it got quite a bit of use. Love the thing.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You should have received the info on the included roadside service
in the owners package when you took delivery of your Caliber.
The card is sent out from DCX in a seperate mailing about 2-3 months
after delivery,it shows your name,VIN#,regitration # and 2 phone #'s.
Roadside assistance is 1-800-363-4869 and DCX customer assistance
at 1-800-465-2001.
Your entitled to use it anytime i.e. run out of gas,flat tire,lock
your keys in car lol and any mechanical or electrical problem that
disables car.
You paid for it, so use it!!!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I should have, though like a bonehead I leave the stuff in the car for that :)

I'll sort that all out today and see if I can get one of those card keys for my wallet. It'd be a little nicer than a metal one just sitting in there.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think you may have misunderstood my post,they don't send you a key
they just give you the #'s to phone and registration # so you can call for
help in those situations.
I had the DC dealer cut an extra standard flat key that opens the door
only which I carry in my wallet that is always in my pocket,they charged
$4.75 for it.It will start the car but it is not a coded key so the car will not
keep running.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ahh, ok .. I thought you meant some kind of back up key. I couldn't find a picture, so i made a quick sketch of what I thought you meant.

It's just a plastic business card size thing with a key punched out in the middle. You just bend the key out to use it when you need it. I was always a little worried it would break off in the lock though when I used it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts