Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've had my caliber for almost 3 weeks, over the past day or two depending on what music I listen to the back right musicgate speaker sounds blown(as in just making a thud instead of the actual music note(s)) the front right speaker has begun to rattle as well. Now this is very really noticable when listening to music that spans the musical spectrum ex. NIN, Radiohead
It's sounding like one or two of those speakers are blown and certain music doesnt enter that range(does that make any sense?) When I first drove the caliber around I could listen to NIN or Radiohead without the rattling, which suggests an issue with a blown speaker. Would the dealer cover this? I do have the warranty etc, I've never had the volume past 23 w/bass,mid,trbl all at 5-7
Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
I have listened to this kind of music and my musicgate/boston acoustic speakers sound crisp and clean.

I would take it back to the dealer and show them the noises you have heard and see what they will do.

It seems that with you only having the car 3 weeks- they should do something.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
My personal opinion is you probrobly did blow a speaker due to the high level bass setting you said you use. 5-7 is certainly high enough at loud volumes to do some damage. I keep my bass depending on the song at 0-1. If you want to drive your subwoofer harder, you need to use high pass filters to filter out the bass to your smaller drivers, so they dont get damaged from the low notes they can't handle. As for the warranty I cannot say, But I would think that something like that may not be covered......they could say you drove the bass and the volume too high.....that's something they have no control over.....you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
ya, id take it in and see whats up. I play my serius at about 26 when im crankin, and my CDs at around 24 and i have no problems... my settings are a little lower though... i keep my bass at around 2 for CDs and 3-4 for the radio. i have 2 10's to compensate for low notes ;) but it shouldnt be doing that, id take um in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Wow... and I thought my musicgate is loud at 15 ;) Usually I have it set around ~9-12 depending on the music.

I will say that I think the Musicgate rattles quite a bit over bumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Yea, Those speakers in the musicgate system are crap. I have the rattle-tinny sound as well, from the passenger side. Had it replaced and it did not fix the problem. i also think that there is a trim piece (possibly in the sunroof?) contributing some extra vibrations. I am looking to replace at least the front 6x9's with aftermarket speakers, maybe a GOOD set of 6x9's or some 6.5's with an adapter plate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
my musicgate sounds fantastic. no rattle. nothing. i usually play the radio at around 15 and cd's at roughly the same actually and i have the bass on +5 with treb +2... can't remember what the mids are at... thing works fine for me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
If they fix it for you, set your bass at zero atzero......LOL. This way you wont damage them again for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
my speakers are fine...BUT i do hear some kind of rattling on the back right side....i dont know it thats the lil window back there or something else.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
mistashady said:
my speakers are fine...BUT i do hear some kind of rattling on the back right side....i dont know it thats the lil window back there or something else.......
I have the same rattle. Sounds like an interior panel or something. I have been too lazy to find it. I plan to go nuts with some sound deadener this spring anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
superbang said:
my musicgate sounds fantastic. no rattle. nothing. i usually play the radio at around 15 and cd's at roughly the same actually and i have the bass on +5 with treb +2... can't remember what the mids are at... thing works fine for me
Im with you. Mine sounds great as well. I keep my sub at +6, and i play a lot of heavy metal. Had it up to 26 a few times (just below pain threshold) and it sounds great. You know its loud when the rear view mirror on the windhield is vibrating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
caprirs302 said:
Yea, Those speakers in the musicgate system are crap. I have the rattle-tinny sound as well, from the passenger side. Had it replaced and it did not fix the problem. i also think that there is a trim piece (possibly in the sunroof?) contributing some extra vibrations. I am looking to replace at least the front 6x9's with aftermarket speakers, maybe a GOOD set of 6x9's or some 6.5's with an adapter plate.


Are the front & rear speakers 6x9's or are they 6-1/2's, I thought they were 6-1/2's. Cant see why they woud make a round grill over 6x9's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
yeah, I figured that one out about a week or so ago when I took off the grilles.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top