Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I don't know, I've heard bad things about those engine-mod chip things.

·
Registered
644 Posts
resistor chips is garbage.. all it does is make you dump for fuel.... and POSSIBLY get a couple horses out of it... wont hurt your car, but doesnt really do shit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
:/ Not So Sure!!!.......

·
Registered
683 Posts
With high prices everyones looking at all these gizmos and gadgets to squeek more mpg out of their cars. For the most part these items have been well proven to be nothing more than snake oil. Resistors, magnets, Tornado etc. do nothing more than take money from your wallet. They have been around for decades.

The only 'chip' that can improve performance for some cars are the ones that replace the factory computer chip with custom programming. They tune the car for specific personal requirements. Usually they are designed for increased performance and not mpg. Sometimes requiring premium fuel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This one says it's plug and play, so I would imagine it doesn't do anything to your warranty. You just remove it before you go to the dealership.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was about to get one for my 96 Dodge Ram, I read forums about this and some people say good things. But other people say that their check engine light comes on and wont go off. I dont know..... this is probaby the some as you taking steriods, steriods for a car....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Huff said:
With high prices everyones looking at all these gizmos and gadgets to squeek more mpg out of their cars. For the most part these items have been well proven to be nothing more than snake oil. Resistors, magnets, Tornado etc. do nothing more than take money from your wallet. They have been around for decades.

The only 'chip' that can improve performance for some cars are the ones that replace the factory computer chip with custom programming. They tune the car for specific personal requirements. Usually they are designed for increased performance and not mpg. Sometimes requiring premium fuel.
Agreed; if it was that simple to significantly (and safely) increase fuel efficiency, it would already be included from the factory.
I personally wouldn't advise using something off eBay that alters the standard operation of the vehicle. When I read:

Question: Will this affect my warranty on my new car?
Answer: NO! This will not affect the warranty on your vehicle. You can remove the module in less than a minute.

That translates into "yes it will but you can remove the module before visiting the dealership while claiming ignorance". Reducing fuel delivery is never a good idea and may cost you more in the long runs.

Dan

·
Registered
97 Posts
to to agree with u on that one, Dan.....

·
Registered
901 Posts
Serantos said:
This one says it's plug and play, so I would imagine it doesn't do anything to your warranty. You just remove it before you go to the dealership.
READ your warranty book!!!! 3rd party mods in and of themselves do not void your warranty. Those items are simply exempt from coverage. (Mods from reputable sources usually are covered under their own warranty.)
**HOWEVER** repairs and adjustments to stock parts caused by the use of mods are NOT covered by your warranty.

Personally I wouldn't want to take a chance on some random, unapproved, non-Mopar, non-factory chip messing up my car's performance - and having to foot the bill to make things right.

Do you really think that the service dept won't be able to tell (thru computer diagnostics) that the factory chip wasn't there all the time?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
... which is EXACTLY why I worded my initial comment about the warranty the way I did:

"And what would such a mod do to your warranty?"

·
Registered
251 Posts
I didn't buy it! Don't bite my head off, besides, it's my wifes car, she wont let me touch the engine...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anyone want to buy a bridge? I'll make you a VERY good deal. I also have muffler bearings for sale. These bearings are the excluse one and they take care of the "Caliber Click." Oh, did I also mention the....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hey, I want some muffler bearings! I hear they also give an awesomely strong deep sound to the exhaust:p

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried one of those resistors off ebay a couple of years ago. It was for a '96 Pontiac Sunfire and it was a snap to install. From the first drive on there was a noticable increase in power and it was in the car for a good two years. No problems with it at all. Took it out when I traded the car in and gave it to my sister for her Sunfire.More power but no increase in mileage. Still a bit leary on putting one on the Caliber though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts