Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone calibrated the speedometer? I test drove an R/T today and I was doing 47 mph in a 35 mph zone...it just didn't feel like I was going that fast. I have a GPS in my Jeep and when it reads 50.0 mph, the Jeep speedo reads approx. 47 mph. I wish I had taken the GPS on the test drive.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
About 2 weeks ago, I was doing a joint assignment with a local municipal police department and - when we had a flittle "down time" - decided to have them clock my Caliber with a currently-calibrated radar unit.

At 35MPH on my speedometer, the radar readout was - 35. 45 was 45. 50 was 50.

It was the first time I've ever seen a vehicle display speedometer readings that were the same as clocked...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I was going that fast...NICE.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
trialx said:
So I was going that fast...NICE.
Well, that would still only be an assumption - but probably correct.

It has been mentioned here often that the Caliber often SEEMS to be going slower than it actually is in many situations.

The usual and probable reasons: the CVT transmission and overall design of the car and how it rides.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Which is why some previous manufactuers programmed an engine misfire with transmissions similiar to the CVT. Customers complained about being uncomfotable not knowing when it shifted. And the dealers got tired of explaining why there was no shift. So, it was programmed, and a shift is not simulated in some cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My GPS always has me going about 1mph faster than the spedo reads, so I'd consider it fairly accurate.

I've noticed at highway speeds I tend to creep up faster than I intend to because it just doesn't "feel" like I could be going that fast. I caught myself doing 90 last week in a 65!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have been doing 100 in it a couple times and it drives so nice. It feels like I'm still doing 70... I love the way it handles and feels!

·
Registered
47 Posts
easterbun said:
My GPS always has me going about 1mph faster than the spedo reads, so I'd consider it fairly accurate.

I've noticed at highway speeds I tend to creep up faster than I intend to because it just doesn't "feel" like I could be going that fast. I caught myself doing 90 last week in a 65!
The car's computer is probably more accurate than the GPS. dependant on how many sat locks you had, your GPS will be 1 to 3 mph off.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cililian GPS will be off waaaay more than 1-3 mph to be honest with you... i mean you can get lucky with them but most are designed to have a margin of error of 10-100 meters... the only way to get 100% accuracy is with government or military GPS... Reson we know... put every GPS on post to the test against a PLGR

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a Magellan roadmate 360.. and it is pretty accurate... they advertise 3-15 meters.. to my experience, seems right on that margin... sometimes is very impressive.. and when i compare speeds on my current car they're only about 2-3 miles per hours difference...

·
Registered
81 Posts
The car just glides so damn nice, its easy to lose track of how fast you are going. I freakin love it:) Gonna get some tickets though, I can see that comin;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts