Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we have the stock 17" steel wheels with the hubcaps on them. Decided to change them up a little. Just something simple to set them apart from others without having to spend the money on new wheels. I missed a chance to get a complete set of Nitro aluminum rims for $100 since I was out of town, but I had planned on doing this for a while. Just finally took the time to do it. here's a pic.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That looks neat, definately a great look for a cheap price!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Paint or tape? How'd you do it? I like it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paint. I cleaned the wheels with dawn dishsoap to remove any wax, scuffed them up a little with scotchbrite pad, and masked them off. Used the Krylon Fusion paint they sell made for painting plastic lawn furniture and stuff. Not exactly what i thought it would look like when done, but not bad. In the pictures you can't see, but I'm definitly not a professional when it comes to masking off stuff for painting. Wasn't going for show quality, but probably could do better.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I was actually thinking about painting the rims (behind the hubcaps) silver/grey to match the caps. That way they would look less like hubcaps over wheels and more like just wheels--kind of a camoflauge for the rims. Combine that with what you did and it might look real good.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michael K. said:
I was actually thinking about painting the rims (behind the hubcaps) silver/grey to match the caps. That way they would look less like hubcaps over wheels and more like just wheels--kind of a camoflauge for the rims. Combine that with what you did and it might look real good.
I was actually thuinking that after I put the first one on.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Not exactly Caliber related, but along the lines of sprucing up the wheels. Here's what I did to the VW Golf I had for a few years.

The stock rims were showing signs of rust. So, I cleaned them up, sanded and primered them, and painted the rims red to match the body color of the car. I then painted the hub caps/beauty rings silver, and added a little black to the caps. I think the end result was pretty good and it only cost me a few hours and about $15 worth of paint and primer.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
israel said:
Posers! Sorry, I had to say that
what's your deal man? in every post your quite the negative ninny over there! did your dog get it's as*ed kicked by a caliber with black painted hubs or something?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dude, painting hubcaps? Come on that is some tacky sh t! I was just giving an opinion on a subject put on these forums for the world to see. Oh and leave my bitch out of this

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So how does painting hub caps make us "posers" as you say?? I'm not trying to look like anything else. Posing is trying to be something you are not. Do you even own a Caliber?? I ws just trying to do something different. I can't afford new wheels, so am stuck working with what I have.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ease up israel, there is no reason to put down what HSKR has done. If you don't like it fine! dont do it yours. We realize this is a forum of different opinions ,but when you get nasty, it's just not cool. If you are looking to get banned, keep up posting nasty comments.

·
Registered
203 Posts
EXcaliber said:
Ease up israel, there is no reason to put down what HSKR has done. If you don't like it fine! dont do it yours. We realize this is a forum of different opinions ,but when you get nasty, it's just not cool. If you are looking to get banned, keep up posting nasty comments.

I have to agree 100% with EXcaliber!!! Putting people down is just wrong.

I actually like the way the hubcaps are painted( its my car as well I wanted my husband to do it)

Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But keep your nasty rude comments to yourself please!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Come on point is it's tacky. He said it himself, he didn't even do a good job of painting them. If you are having trouble getting wheels p.m. me. I will get you any wheel you want at wholesale cost straight from the manufacturer. I would rather you saved up and got some nice kicks for your Cali.

Sorry about the nasty post, but I got a lil ruffled when he said something about my doggie. Some a-hole shot and killed my dog in my own back yard. My dog was not aggressive at all. Very playful and nice. Anyway, sorry about all the comments, I appologize.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You get me "kicks" for free and we'll talk. I have a family that takes priority over doing anything to the Caliber.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
israel said:
Come on point is it's tacky. He said it himself, he didn't even do a good job of painting them. If you are having trouble getting wheels p.m. me. I will get you any wheel you want at wholesale cost straight from the manufacturer. I would rather you saved up and got some nice kicks for your Cali.

Sorry about the nasty post, but I got a lil ruffled when he said something about my doggie. Some a-hole shot and killed my dog in my own back yard. My dog was not aggressive at all. Very playful and nice. Anyway, sorry about all the comments, I appologize.
Sorry to hear about your dog! mine was just killed a month ago .. got ran over at our new house. it sucked! my little boy, who's 3, still asks where he's at. :mad:

·
Registered
687 Posts
HSKR - I like your idea. I wish I could see how it looks as they spin down the road.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I guess is improving the looks of the stock wheels is "tacky" and makes me a "poser", that anyone who adds stripes to the body, tint to the windows, or pretty much anything that is solely cosmetic and not performance related would also be tacky and make them posers.

My personal opinion, the whole idea of adding/improving to the appearance of you car is to make it uniquely your own and not everyone is going to like the same things. The important part is that the owner likes what they do, and more importantly, they don't sacrifice taking care of their family to make their car uniquely theirs.

I'm much more impressed when someone comes up with invoative ways to do their own mods than simply pay someone for the mods. I'm also more impressed with HSKR's unique, creative, and self-done improvement on his wheels than I am with mass produced wheels someone buys off the rack.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts