Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newby here!- so Hi to everyone.

When I get in my Caliber after it sits overnight (never when warmed or hot) and start it, it starts then dies for about 1/3 of a second then comes back to life. Only happens when the car has sat for a long period of time.

Also.. am noticing "ticking" when I shut off car when hot. Will this eventually graduate into pinging?

Anyway to make my 2.0 auto a bit "peppier" when in the gas especially off restarts? Has anyone ran hitest in their Caliber? Does it help?

Bob

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, and welcome.

I'm pretty sure the ticking is normal, as I've had that on my old car/folks cars and it's just the car cooling down.

Don't know about the rest.

Hope you're enjoying your new Cali!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had those issues as well, the sputter usually stops after the car is driven a few blocks and warms up a bit. I also have the ticking noise, but I haven't noticed any change in the sound. I traded in a Ford Explorer that was much louder when shut down, and that had over 80,000 miles. What was your build date?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bob - there are a few different problems here - I can't comment about the dies/comes back issue, but would suggest having the dealer check it out. As for the ticking noise, that is probably just the exhaust system cooling down. A 'pinging' noise is commonly associated with detonation in the cylinders, and will only happen under acceleration.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You should take yourr caliber into the dealer to get the problem with the cold start checked out. Let them know what's happening, and drop it off at the dealer in the afternoon so it will sit at the dealer overnight. That way they will be able to verify the problem when they start it the next morning. Might just need the F29 recall flash done on it. As for the ticking, that is the exhasut cooling down. There is a TSB for that problem if you want to get it fixed. It calls for the dealer to replace the mufflers. And it will not develop into pinging while driving.

By hitest, do you mean premium gasoline? If so, NO it will not help, and will more than likely make it worse. You only need to run the octane level called for in the owners manual. Running higher octane fuel is just a waste of money and will actually hurt performance. I get 1-2mpg better in my modified Dakota R/T when switching from 91 octane to 87 octane. The truck runs better on 87 octane.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks... I will get it into the dealer.

Will also stay with regular octane fuel.

Thanks to all... Especially to HSKR for defending this great nation and our freedom...

Later
Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
My old chevy used to sputter when ever it would sit for long periods of time too. But only when I start it up the firse time. I found out that the spark plugs were gapped wrong. got new plugs and made sure they were gapped right and the sputter stoped. vacume leaks can also cause the same symtoms

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Was readng the owners manual today. Yeah, I read the whole thing as far as the stuff that applied to the options I had. It says in the manual that if you cars stutters on starts and sometimes dies, that you might have gotten bad fuel. It's okay to run the 87 octane, but don't buy it from the whole in the wall shady stations that are way cheaper than other places. I'd still buy it from national chains. Arco AM/PM is the place I buy most of my gas when I don't fill up on the Navy base.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts