Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys, i'm kinda new to this whole srt-4 stuff. I'm into the Evo, Sti, Wrx, Mazdaspeed 3. Well i'm debating on Evo (but insurance is too much for my age, i am going to turn 16) Mazdaspeed 3 (pretty nice, but looking for more power). I'm into import tuner cars, and i was wondering if you guys consider a Caliber Srt-4 as one. I don't really go for any american cars at all, except mustangs. You guys think that the Srt-4 will have some performance parts for it when it comes out, or later on? And is that AWD Caliber srt-4 for the second year right?

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is no AWD srt-4 planned. It is NOT A FREAKING IMPORT. It's made by DODGE.

And no you should not be thinking about buying any of those cars at your age.

You WILL wreck it, and you WILL die if you get a car at your age with that much power.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Amandyke said:
There is no AWD srt-4 planned. It is NOT A FREAKING IMPORT. It's made by DODGE.

And no you should not be thinking about buying any of those cars at your age.

You WILL wreck it, and you WILL die if you get a car at your age with that much power.
+2 w/ amandyke

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol okay sorry amandyke. don't mean to get you angry.....LOL. And you live in bay? so do i.......Ay minace i like your avatar :)

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
SRT-4 is Domestic (American - Dodge), but is any car 100% an import or domestic anymore?? Not really!:D

AWD is not planned as of yet, maybe in the future.

I am thinking insurance will be crazy or any of the cars you listed, including SRT-4, let alone trying to pay for it yourself.

Aftermarket support? Probablly. A tuner car, I would say yes.

Whatever your decision is, all I can say is be careful, as a car can be more dangerous than a gun...;)

I will say that the "Concept X", "Evo X" or even the Lancer Ralliart for 2008 is sounding pretty good, as IT WILL be based off the Caliber platform!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I dont think you will nessasariy crash...unless you are a complete idiot driver or something.

Even the r/ts are nice...and they are AWD. Thats what I would pick. Insurance will still be high on an srt vehicle.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The best car for a young new driver is an older "beater" that wont hurt the wallet too much if/when you do damage to it. Be it through an accident, or running it too hard. It will also give you a chance to learn about how to work on the car, modifiy it, etc etc on a low cost platform.

You can buy like an older civic or something similar for under $5,000 and then have more money in your pocket (as compared to buying a new vehicle) for mods. That's really the best way to go at your age.

Having said that, There's nothing wrong with dreaming about having something awesome and powerful. The thing you need to know is that it makes more sense to work your way up to it rather than jumping in balls first.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Amandyke said:
The best car for a young new driver is an older "beater" that wont hurt the wallet too much if/when you do damage to it. Be it through an accident, or running it too hard. It will also give you a chance to learn about how to work on the car, modifiy it, etc etc on a low cost platform.

You can buy like an older civic or something similar for under $5,000 and then have more money in your pocket (as compared to buying a new vehicle) for mods. That's really the best way to go at your age.

Having said that, There's nothing wrong with dreaming about having something awesome and powerful. The thing you need to know is that it makes more sense to work your way up to it rather than jumping in balls first.
:D :D hey amandyke !!! my mom told me exacly the same thing ,no wonder it feels like home here :D :D :D ,and i have to say that my mom was right :p ,Cheers thomas

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mazdaspeed 3 (pretty nice, but looking for more power).
Oh God...

Looking for more power? If it has more power than a K-Car then it's too much power.

Please tell me we're not reopening the debate we had a long time ago about young people and cars that are too much for them to handle... :eek: :rolleyes:

(it was either on this forum or SRTforum I forget...)

Either way... it's all fine and nice for a 16 year old to dream about a car like this, but to actually HAVE one is a pretty stupid idea.

It kills me how many kids are on SRTforums that own neon SRT4's and they're like... 16, 17 years old etc.

I think the worst was a 15 year old who's dad already bought him one and has it waiting for him to get his licence... he'll probably be dead in no time.

This kind of **** makes me sick inside and is probably why there are so many damn traffic accidents these days... all it takes is for one of these young-ins to put the pedal down for the first time on a car with this much power, only to have the steering wheel torque out of their hand sending them into a pole or a ditch or even worse... one of OUR cars. :mad:

·
Banned
696 Posts
Ironside said:
Oh God...

Looking for more power? If it has more power than a K-Car then it's too much power.

Please tell me we're not reopening the debate we had a long time ago about young people and cars that are too much for them to handle... :eek: :rolleyes:

Either way... it's all fine and nice for a 16 year old to dream about a car like this, but to actually HAVE one is a pretty stupid idea.

It kills me how many kids are on SRTforums that own neon SRT4's and they're like... 16, 17 years old etc.

I think the worst was a 15 year old who's dad already bought him one and has it waiting for him to get his licence... he'll probably be dead in no time.

This kind of **** makes me sick inside and is probably why there are so many damn traffic accidents these days... all it takes is for one of these young-ins to put the pedal down for the first time on a car with this much power, only to have the steering wheel torque out of their hand sending them into a pole or a ditch or even worse... one of OUR cars. :mad:
I know the kid personaly that you are talking about. He is very mature for his age and very responsable (sp). He makes his way over to the shop about once a week and we have never had an issue with him. He is a great help when he is asked to help. Now he might be the one that is different from all the others but please dont bunch all "kids" into the "to young" status just because of there age. Hell my first car was a 68 mustang with a 4 brl carb and headers and I didnt wreck it till I was 22 years old. There is alway an exception to the rule.

·
Registered
728 Posts
ptperformance said:
I know the kid personaly that you are talking about. He is very mature for his age and very responsable (sp). He makes his way over to the shop about once a week and we have never had an issue with him. He is a great help when he is asked to help. Now he might be the one that is different from all the others but please dont bunch all "kids" into the "to young" status just because of there age. Hell my first car was a 68 mustang with a 4 brl carb and headers and I didnt wreck it till I was 22 years old. There is alway an exception to the rule.
That's true, there are always exceptions... but driving a car is a funny thing; It doesn't matter how responsible or polite or helpful or smart someone is, you aren't GOOD at it until you DO it for several years.

That is pretty much what we're all trying to get at, if you've never been in a situation on the road before you may not know how to properly deal with it or react to it. Having an overpowered car thats easier to make mistakes in just endangers a newer driver more than say, a slower junker car.

And the biggest point, since not everyone gets into a huge car accident, little things like fender benders bumping into cars or curbs tend not to hurt your feelings as much if you do it in a crappy car as oppose to a brand new spotless one.

My final point; kids appreciating cars. If a brand spankin new car is just GIVEN to them by a parent, how much will they REALLY appreciate it? They didn't work their butt off doing several jobs to save up so they could buy it themselves, so all too often they become car-spoiled.

A guy I knew had his rich parents buy him a new car every time he wrecked one... he crashed one, blew up the engine on two more... just beat the hell out of them. Now his 'mommy' bought him a brand new Neon SRT4 (an extremely rare one... 1 of 3 Solar Yellow 2004 MODELS in Canada) and he says he's already "bored" of it and wants to toss it for a new car!!!!!!! :eek:

If you start with a starter car, and work your way up, you tend to appreciate what you have a little more. I'd kill to have that RARE srt... which is now a beaten up used car. :mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ironside said:
Oh God...

um...yeah. it was on this forum, it was with me. i'd like to apologize for being such a damn prick back then. i wanted a caliber so bad though.

however, i still don't think i have to have an old beater. you know, sometimes having a car that was made in..the 90s to present time would be much safer than an older car.

i'll use a 1966 Plymouth Belvidere II for example. If you get into a head on collision...? you're pretty much screwed, unless its with a freaking tiny car, like a Tracker or something. there's no sholder belts, air bags...crumple zones...i'm assuming the glass isn't that shadder proof stuff that they have in new cars....oh! it has a cushioned dashboard though, so when your face hits it at 60 mph, it'll feel slightly not as hard as solid steel and then you'll die.:eek:

but i do agree with not driving a brand new car. as the year has progressed, the group of friends i hang out with has gotten their cars and licsences, alot of them have gotten in accidents. i'm noticing we AREN'T invincible and we will screw up.

for anyone who cares, i'm now thinking about a 2002 neon SE. i like them. anyone know if they come in 5 speed manual?

oh, one more thing. Mr. Juss- Correct me if i'm wrong, but, you are saying you want performance parts for a car that will already be crankin out 300hp? and you aren't 16 yet either. shouldn't you be spending that money on insurance? :p :)

meh. i'll wrap this thing up. thanks for teachin me a lesson, ironside.

-aaron =)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well yeah, by "beater car" we dont necessarily mean a car from the 80's...

just something with a little less power... like a 2002 neon SE... perfect example of a cheaper car that is pretty common, it's not a POS and it's great to learn how to drive in.

(i actually learned how to drive in my first car which was a '99 neon expresso)

:cool: Glad to see you're keepin' safe.

·
Banned
696 Posts
I agree with you guys but this kid works for his car and it was not just "given" to him. I really have to agree with the years in the seat idea but what would be better? A 300 HP car that you learn in or a 80 HP car? I have to admit that I am a better driver now since I had the 300 HP Mustang when I was going up since I know how a car responds to wheel spin and what happens when you give it to much gas and the list goes on. Now that is not me justifing big HP for first time drivers just that it would be a better learning tool over time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I hate when people automatically think that just because someone is young that they will automatically wreck a vehicle. Yes, there area lot of kids out therew with zero responsibility that will, but there are also a lot of kids out there that were actually raised with some responsibility. Lets not blame the young kids in this situation, why not blame the parents for raising the kid to be that way. I was raised to repsect and appreciate anything I got. I wrecked the first truck that I bought and paid for myself when I was 18, and it wasn't because I was tearing around in it. I t-boned another car because I was driving in a new place and didn't know the area.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
the concept of "Import" is simple...
you bring it from another country = import [asia/europe]
you send it from this country = export [to asia/europe]
you keep it in this country = domestic. [to here.. not a long trip - lol]

as far as this car goes; its a Domestic if you're from the US, and an Import if you're from anywhere else.

the term "Import Tuner" is soon just becoming Tuner, because a lot of people are taking American cars and Tuning them.. Import Tuner = Magazine; "HIN" = a [used to be] underground auto show; not specifying vehicles. - good idea to learn the definition of "Import tuner" before you classify yourself as being that type of person. lol :D

as far as SRT-4 goes; the Neon-based SRT has massive aftermarket support; MOPAR and others, like Carbon By Design, did SRT-specific functional accessories. [Carbon hoods mostly]; and could easily get up to 450+ horsepower. The CALIBER based SRT-4 will start with 300 so there's no doubt Mopar/SRT will have it up and over 500 with some work.... the aftermarket support should be fairly large, because of the popularity of the Neon based SRT-4.. If I were in your situation; i'd choose something that nobody else has - I see mazda3's [both mazdaspeed and standard]; same thing with all of your other choices. They're becoming as common as civics were after the F&F movies - lol. As far as you're AWD question is concerned -- there is no AWD planned at this point but i'm sure you COULD modify an r/t's awd system.. or even a jeep compass 4x4 drivetrain.

But i agree- if you plan on racing this thing on the street, get one of the lesser imports. A car with real power in inexperienced hands [and feet] could and often will be deadly. However, this thing will be nice ON THE TRACK. I've lost a few friends to street racing, and i will have no part in it, nor condone that action.

My 1st car was a 95 neon ACR [basically the racing version]-- which was t-boned by a lifted toyota, and totalled - i miss it still [stock, it could keep with SRT-4's until 5th gear]
my 2nd car is a 98 neon Sport.. which i'm putting a mopar 360 in, and converting to rwd. just for the hell of it :D
my 3rd car will be an import-from brazil; called Obvio 012, google it and read the info before you judge what it looks like ;)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
suzq044 said:
my 2nd car is a 98 neon Sport.. which i'm putting a mopar 360 in, and converting to rwd. just for the hell of it :D
You need a motor?? I'll be pulling a stock 360 longblock out of my truck this weekend and replacing it with a re-built higher performance 360.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts