Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, a R/T with the 2.4 and the CVT weighs 3308 lbs. All signs are pointing at a 300hp (probably a bit less at the wheels) rating for the turbo 2.4 in the Caliber SRT4... so you can do the math :p The Jatco CVT2 is a pretty spiffy unit, but it does weigh a decent amount. However, the SRT4 should have added metals for rigidity and other engine stuffs (I hope they get rid of that composite intake manifold and go with something that won't sound like raspy-poo). Anyway, I would be surprised if the SRT4 comes in less than 3,200 pounds.

Which means, you better stop eating at the Wendy's and Taco Bell so you don't mess up the power to weight ratio. ;)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I think he means weight distribution, not power/weight. If that's the case, we won't know until it comes out.

BTW: The Caliber SRT-4 has a 6-speed tremec :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah that was what i meant (front to rear weight ratio is like the weight distribution) the closer the ratio is to 1:1 the better the handeling is.

·
Registered
269 Posts
no, I'm not talking about weight distribution. I'm talking about a lardo being slower in the 1/4 as compared to really skinny girl with helium breast implants. :)

But yeah, you don't want to throw off the balance of the car in turns too. But, I don't think the Caliber is going to be a track-God.... it's still got the economical rear suspension setup and has macpherson struts up front. I doubt the SRT4 will do much on a skidpad - and it'll just understeer like crazy through left or right turns no matter how much you weigh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i don't think they researched that or would publish it... probably would be put out in individual aftermarket tests. its not like they were trying to make the ratio 49/51 like the rx-8... thats not the focus.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Whilst ignoring holeydonut who apparently hasn't a clue, a decent comparison for weight distribution of the SRT-4 caliber, including cg, would be the current base model PT Cruiser.

Insert obligatory "Come find out for yourself at the SRT Nationals where it will be displayed, driven, and tested for your pleasure" plug here....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey dale, what about you get a clue yourself. Nice job bringing up the PT crusier as some metric but then giving no rational or explanation to anything. Just keep on pimping your event, because everything else seems to just set you off and you go into elitist mode. And yes, I'm referring to that shit you directed at Caliber4whoosh a while back coupled with your infinite pimping of your peer parts suppliers.

The 2006 PT and the 2007 Caliber R/T both have 58/42 weight distributions. Almost every single FWD car made since 1995 has a similar weight distribution (approx 58/42).

·
Registered
118 Posts
My information comes from the SRT Engineer responsible for the SRT-4 suspension. I could give you a direct quote, but you'd probably not like it....

I don't supply parts, therefore have no peers in that department. I do however have extensive experience with several suppliers that you will eventually do business with.... My opinions there are my own, but you will tend to agree with me more after gaining some experience with them...

Elitist, very good description, arrogant, conceited, over educated, well-connected, and 'not afraid to to tell the truth' are all equally satisfactory. You will find that when legitimate questions are asked, other than 'how does my drink cooler work?' (which is a legitimate question that I don't bother knowing the answer to) I am more than likely to have an accurate response, if I see the question. Unfortunately, I don't get to spend a lot of time here because there isn't a lot of need for information about the cars, just a lot of filler threads that are developing the community.

I still think you should attend the event, and in reality, it is not my event although I have become somewhat of a figurehead for it because of my celebrity among the Internet SRT community. The event belongs to the enthusiasts and is not a money making activity for anyone. I am simply part of the promotions machine who helps to seperate the couch potatoe/commuters who don't really drive their cars from the enthusiasts who consider their Mopar vehicle almost a part of their family, or at least consider themselves part of the Mopar family. It's okay to be a commuter though, the enthusiasts need a source of used parts.

Anyway, please don't be offended when your off-hand comments are dismissed by people like me, I'm sure that you are a nice person who means well.

See you in Topeka,
Dale

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think you deserve to elevate yourself above others based on who you know and who you're affiliated with. You've constantly put people down on this board by referring to them as suckers, kiddies, ignorant, whatever.

I doubt you'd post a direct quote from an SRT engineer anyway - obviously that info's supposed to be kept under wraps and not used to inflate your ego. Maybe you should post that info, and the name of the person who gave you that data. You sure have no qualms sharing with us that the SRT folks have no ability to keep secrets from you.

I couldn't care less if you're Tom LaSorda's brother, there's still no reason for your pompus attitude. But, if you were affiliated with such a person, I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to lord that over everbody and type long posts to strut your stuff all over this developing community.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't elevate myself, people like you do....

I offer the answer to the original question, the correct answer, and you choose to make a big deal of it by trying to mount a sensless, and fairly inadequate attack.

All of the information, including the name of the person who made the quote is there, if you did even a very small amount of research. If the simple act of providing references, and self-depreciating remarks moves me beyond the level of 'elitist' to 'self-elevating', I am at a loss as to what form of response would satisfy your need to embellish your self-esteem.

Face it, you have no idea what you are talking about hen it comes to the SRT-4 Caliber, which means that inbetween strokes of luck, you offer misinformation. I've stated several times, on this forum, that I can get the answers to the questions that people have about an unreleased vehicle, for people like you who seem to have a thirst for knowledge satisfied only by magazine lore, and all you have to do is ask. Yes, unfortunately, you'll have to suffer an actual response that might not match the one from your fairy tale dreams, but chin-up, you might even be right once in a while.

What it all comes down to in the end though, you have SRT-envy. That's not a bad thing, you shouldn't be ashamed. A lot of people suffer from pre-mature purchasing, but that doesn't mean it's okay to try to convince an enthusiast to give up on his wait and settle for being a commuter.... You can get help, join a club, buy altezza taillights can carbon-fiber accents, and learn to accept your decision. Come to the darkside, we have cookies (encouraging slogan stolen from Jason Brown 2005).

Dale

·
Registered
269 Posts
I fail to see how any of this justifies your initial attitude towards me in this thread, and I never understood the random shot across the bow at caliber4whoosh. I think you used the motive of protecting TommyLee's identity from us was noble, but hardly grounds for the attitude in the previous thread. That guy's offering up some interesting news for us here - I think he's more than capable of monitoring himself. In this thread, I misread the original intent and thought he was asking about curb weight - my bad. Really, I took offense to your original comment, sorry for the escalation.

Yeah, you're obviously a true car guy. No question. You make that position very overt in the clubs you're affiliated with and your car ownship history. I've spent most of my time in other car communities, and I don't know much about the DCX cars. But, DCX has my interest now, and I'm looking at getting my feet wet with the Caliber.

I'd very much like to go to the SRT Nationals since I'm from Kansas and I'm looking to get a Caliber SRT4 when it first becomes available. I think we'll both have a great time as owners once the SRT4 comes out :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tommy is more than capable of protecting himself, it's Ethan, Dave, Erich, Adam, Mark, Gina, Kendra, Betsy, Janna, Mirko, Dan, John, and the others that I work for... Sinan's inappropriate questions of Tommy were just an opportunity lay the groundwork for the future. Sinan is cool with that, and for his trouble, he will eventually be rewarded. Besides, nothing is ever random about my posts.

You and others will eventually get used to my methods of communication. The answers are there, but sometimes it takes a little effort. The sarcasm, self-depreciation, and instant elevation to full nuclear response will always be there because on the internet, misinformation travels much further than the truth, unless the truth instantly obliterates the misinformation in a manner that would humiliate anyone who considered repeating it. The person who makes the mistake is not really the problem, it's the person who believes it....

If you do decide to attend the SRT Nationals, please make sure you let me know who you are. I'd like you to join me and my daughter for dinner on Wednesday evening. Maybe after a couple hours in the company of our friends you will have a slightly different outlook on what the community has to gain from a forum like this one. At the very least, you'll have the contact information to check all of my facts and claims yourself. Regardless, you'll realize I am not nearly as elitist, or self-important as you project, and all of my previous posts will have a different meaning for you. Come to the darkside, we have cookies.....

Dale

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, I can't make it out to the SRT Nationals because I'm just staring up work in Detroit. I don't think I need to turn to The darkside... although cookies are good :) Maybe next year when you guys can convince the folks at Indy to be more friendly :)

While I agree that mis-information is bad... I don't see the harm in general speculation. You seemed to hint that I'm intentionally declaring false info - but I'm making my assumptions and opinions in most of my posts... I don't recall telling someone something horribly off base when they were asking for a specific fact (like bolt patterns). If there was a post that I made a false statement that would be considered fact, please let me know so I can modify that post... I don't want to spread false stuff either. I know the estimated weight of SRT4 has been announced under 3,200 lbs, but I'd still be surprised if they hit below 3,200.

I kind of got on a soap box here early in this thread, because I just spent some time in a Caliber this week, and my formed ideas of the Caliber haven't improved :( After having driven Calibers, rode in Calibers, and otherwise been involved with Calibers... I feel there is a large room for improvement in terms of how the car feels. I hope the SRT4 addresses some of my concerns (because the SRT4 won't be aimed at a strictly budget customer).

The 2.0 Caliber just sort of let me down recently ... made the car seem like it was just rattling instead of hearing RPMs go up :( My prior time was in a 1.8 SE - so I gave it some handicap... but things in the 2.0 didn't really improve much. Also, I'm not really digging the rear multilink suspension setup that they're using, although it is a step up over the twist beam system in the PT cruiser. Yeah, similar designs have been used in Audis, Fords, (and my Mazda3)... but it's the biggest beef I have with the Caliber... because it's heft makes it feel very odd at speeds and in cornering. Maybe the damping and stiffness of the SXTs is overly soft, but the car felt much larger to drive than it should have.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Dale Seeley said:
The SRT-4 Caliber will be the nicest PT Cruiser you've ever driven.
what happened to the topic of weight distribution lol? Well the FWD Caliber is 2900 something, so the SRT is likely to be similar and not weight as much as the AWD RT as mentioned on the first page

·
Registered
118 Posts
holeydonut put the correct weight distribution up a dozen or so posts ago.

Nobody has guessed right on the weight yet though... Again, I'll offer that it is the best PT Cruiser that you will ever drive...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts