Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rumour from a DCX tech that the Caliber SRT4 has been delayed until next year due to problems with excessive torque steer.

FWD cannot handle the HP/TRQ, AWD might be an option but at the cost of adding more weight and I don't think they want to add more weight to an already heavy car. Hopefully they don't de-tune the engine/cal for FWD.

Can anyone confirm this or pass on more info regarding?

·
Registered
728 Posts
wow... that's all I gotta say.

I dont know how ppl keep making up stupid shit like this.

There are plenty of current SRT-4's WELL above 300hp with no problems.. and they would not have announced it as a 2007 model if it wasn't going to come out until 2008.

I think some ppl need to stop being so gullible.

and for the last time, NO ALL WHEEL DRIVE.... JESUS....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Bull. Shit.

People are retarded. :D

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
What the mother f'er?? This thread IS retarted. I feel sorry for anyone who reads and believes this...

SRTcanuck: I have no idea where you got this from, but I don't think it is true.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was under the impression it had been announced for a while, that it was a Spring 2007 release (which..based on todays date..is a year from now....next year).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, and the Intrepid R/T was delayed because of excessive torque steer..... oh wait..... no. They just waited until the mid-life build cycle to pump some life into the car before the whole thing got axed. There's no point to introduce the "hot" version of budget cars right off the bat. Very few car companies that I can think of Stateside has ever done this.

No 2004 Alitma SE-R; no 2005 Mazdaspeed3; No 2002 SVT Focus; the 2002 Civic Si was sorta delayed compared to the vanilla 2002 Civics; ask any early Impreza owner with the 2.5 if they wanted a WRX; etc. The only car that seems to buck he trend from the get go is the new VW GTI... as they didn't even bother updating the old, vanilla Golf at all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
To original poster;

If you go to the thread that the SRT engineers put up, I think they mentioned they had worked out the TQ steer issue. No matter what you always going to have that and you learn how to control it. Dodge is not going bring the HP down, neither are they going to put AWD (too heavy, too cosly and too much break down).

At this points, dealers will tell you anything to sell you what they got on the lot. To be honest with you, I'll probably won't buy the first year of it either (first year blues).

·
Registered
299 Posts
DCX Germany recently announced a press kit, which said, that the 2007 Caliber SRT4 will come to European markets in the 1st half of 2007. So I don´t think they´d anounced that, when they couldn´t keep it in time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 03 SRT-4 and I can't see the caliber having that bad off torque steer. However it's still more than the VW GTI I test drove. The computer can adjust steering and actually counter act torque steer and cross wind effcts keeping you straight. It's kinda weird driving it. But I loved the DSG I wish that was an option on the SRT-4. It's the only auto matic I actually liked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's lame.....it takes no time to fix that....

Saab had a big problem with this on their 9-3 Viggen (which is actually the car I've decided to get, rather than the caliber). Abbott Racing released a "Viggen Rescue Kit" which includes a steering rack clamp, bulkhead brace, control arm bushings, support arm bearings, and a stainless steel subframe brace; apparently it does wonders for the handling, as well as the torque problem.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a feeling the delay is more marketing than anything else. The Caliber assembly line is in full swing as it is and sales are strong. No reason to add the SRT which would cause other model production to be reduced.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
April
http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/10893/2007-dodge-caliber-srt-4.html
The new SRT-4 is due in Dodge showrooms in mid-2007. Look for a base price of about $26,000.
May
http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/10907/preview-review-2007-dodge-caliber-srt4-page3.html
On the other hand, the SRT team sees the body style as an opportunity to expand the car’s market appeal to mid-’20s guys with families. And this much is certain: If Dodge makes good on its plan to keep prices low, and the new SRT4 rolls into showrooms with a base of about $22,000, it will still be an absolutely unbeatable performance buy.
Edmunds
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Specs/styleId=100650669
Available Fall, 2006
Do you want to post the source of where you are getting your information, all the news releases that i have read have been dropping in the price and are showing it being available sooner rather than later

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was going thru 300C SRT-8 forum when I saw this from SRT Enginners posted May 15, 2006:
First, I will start by reminding you that there will be no automatic on the SRT4, only a 6 speed manual. Now, that said, we make every attempt to optimize the entire system for best performance. We are still in the final development stages so it is too early for me to say what we may be limiting or not limiting. But I assure you, when the final product hits the road, you will be able to do everything your heart desires.
If at May 15, they are still developing this car, I wonder how soon they can release it?
Link:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt-engineer-q-area/19454-srt-q-session-5-17-06-a-4.html

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
I don't recall seeing a quote in any of the recent chats that indicated that the caliber SRT4 would be delayed beyond the original estimates of Spring 2007
That's because I speak to them on the phone, bypassing all of the magazine and e-zine BS. And, I've not said it would be delayed past Spring 2007 either, but you are quoting sources that say this fall and stating an opinion that it would be no problem to have it out before the end of the year.

It would be a problem, there is a large organization planning for spring, bumping a launch date up even one month would have a huge expense...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts