Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check it out if you're looking for more info and some quote from the SRT guys involved with the development. Some interesting tidbits here and there, but not much new.

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/10907/preview-review-2007-dodge-caliber-srt4.html

Interesting blurb:

The turbo motor sends thrust to the front wheels via a new six-speed manual gearbox, a Getrag-Ford unit, and a Torsen II limited-slip diff. Aside from six speeds — the previous SRT4 tranny had only five — the most appealing traits of this new gearbox (which uses a shift mechanism from the manual trans used in the European diesel version of the Caliber) are a crisp feel and a positive sense of engagement, traits conspicuously absent in the garden-variety Caliber tested in this issue.
It seems we're getting a transmission that no US Spec Ford uses... go figure. Unless there's a 6-speed Ford vehicle that costs under $100,000 that I'm unaware of.... :) .... I think even the Mustang GT only has a 5-speed ...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I didn't realize the Mustang GT was a 5-Speed manual, but I just went to the ford website, and you are correct. It is only 300 horsepower, also. I am sure the Shelby GT500 will be a six speed, and should be a pretty bad ass car when it comes out later this year.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes, yes you can..unfortunatley I can't...:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
holeydonut said:
Check it out if you're looking for more info and some quote from the SRT guys involved with the development. Some interesting tidbits here and there, but not much new.

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/10907/preview-review-2007-dodge-caliber-srt4.html

Interesting blurb:

It seems we're getting a transmission that no US Spec Ford uses... go figure. Unless there's a 6-speed Ford vehicle that costs under $100,000 that I'm unaware of.... :) .... I think even the Mustang GT only has a 5-speed ...

Focus SVT has

·
Registered
15 Posts
holeydonut said:

Interesting blurb:

Focus SVT has a 6 speed

·
Registered
51 Posts
holeydonut said:
The turbo motor sends thrust to the front wheels via a new six-speed manual gearbox, a Getrag-Ford unit,

It seems we're getting a transmission that no US Spec Ford uses... go figure. .
I see that as a good thing. Getrag is well known for good sporting transmissions in the European market. They bring a lot of "good" to the table for the 50/50 Getrag-Ford joint venture.

I had a Euro-spect Ford of Germany Capri many years ago (not the Ford of US Mustang twin most people think of when they hear Capri...that's the Mercuriy Capri). It had a Getrag 4 spd ....I drove that car hard...really hard, to over 200k miles. Loved that tranny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
holeydonut said:

Interesting blurb:

The mustang cobra is a 6 speed, as well as the focus svt, and I believe the mach1 is a six speed as well. Anyways besides the point, its gonna be a great tranny!! And as far as it not being used in the us market that is probally a good thing because ford uses its better trannys for fwd cars in Europe anyways.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NATE said:
Focus SVT has
As a former SVT Focus owner, I really doubt it is the same transmition found in the SVT Focus. They are both 6 speed Getrag's, but they are saying it is a "new Ford-Getrag unit." I doubt even Ford or DCX is bold enough to call a transmission used for years in europe and for several years in the states new.

Now it may be an updated or tweaked version of that transmission, which would make sense. It would probably have to be considering the very positive impressions they had of the transmission, because I was not terribly impressed with the feel of the tranny in the SVT Focus.

VisionSRT said:
The mustang cobra is a 6 speed, as well as the focus svt, and I believe the mach1 is a six speed as well. Anyways besides the point, its gonna be a great tranny!! And as far as it not being used in the us market that is probally a good thing because ford uses its better trannys for fwd cars in Europe anyways.
I think what he meant to say, is there is no NEW Ford in the US currently using a 6 speed manual that costs under $100,000. The Mach1 was a 5speed and was on the last gen chassis, the last Cobra's were before the redesign of the mustang, and the SVT Focus ended production. There will be a new Ford with a 6 speed soon though, as the '07 Shelby GT500 will have the same 6 speed Tremec transmission used in the Cobra and Cobra R's of the last gen Mustang.

I agree though, I am glad they are importing the 6 speed. Good to hear some positive reviews even on a pre-production car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts