Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. I'm not buying our next wagon without it, yet the Magnum is a gas-guzzling sled. I am not prepared to marry my firstborn daughter off to a Saudi prince just so I can drive to work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
While I am not sure exactly when it will be available, my guess is when they switch over to the 2007 Model Year builds in July (June orders). Yes, I know they are 2007 models currently, but in the chrysler system, it is considered a 2006.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow! That would be good for sales boost. I drive in an area (Cleveland) where snow, rain, sleet, ice, etc. can come at any time. We got our AWD already, but that feature sure makes me want to get another one for me!!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah, stability control would be a huge plus..:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it helps, Jeep Compass (same vehicle) will be built with ESP and "brake traction control" in all trim levels. Wouldn't be hard to integrate these with Caliber at any time. WBMT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It helps us the consumer not at all.. until DC decides our lives are worth protecting, and makes it available for us to buy. Until then, I have no interest in this vehicle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
K7AAY said:
It helps us the consumer not at all.. until DC decides our lives are worth protecting, and makes it available for us to buy. Until then, I have no interest in this vehicle.
WTF? ESP is not that beneficial on a FWD vehicle to begin with, and the reason it is not available at this time, probably has more to do with availability of parts than anything else. Before this car, the only vehicles offered with ESP were RWD vehicles.

Not to minimize your concern, but the Caliber is doing just fine without this option.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Walter Tedman said:
If it helps, Jeep Compass (same vehicle) will be built with ESP and "brake traction control" in all trim levels. Wouldn't be hard to integrate these with Caliber at any time. WBMT.
The Calibers ESP & Traction Control is still slated as TBD (to be determined) but I would assume they would become available along side the Compass. The Compass is expected 3rd quarter of 2006.

Dan

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
+2 Thanks for the clarification Dan! :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
HEY! I only said it would be nice. I still bought our Caliber anyway. I grew up on RWD big monsters and now drive FWD's as daily transportation. I still drive my Musclecars though.

I don't think I would ever buy a car JUST based on this type of option. I am more interested in Airbags and Disc Brakes with ABS more than anything. For that matter If I all I had was discs that would suffice.

Thank you DCX for even thinking about this option. I am glad that DCX is producing cars like the Caliber (and others). The options make it all the more merrier!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
TommyLee said:
WTF? ESP is not that beneficial on a FWD vehicle to begin with, and the reason it is not available at this time, probably has more to do with availability of parts than anything else. Before this car, the only vehicles offered with ESP were RWD vehicles.
http://www.safercar.gov/pages/ESC-EquippedVehicles-2005.htm
lists more FWD than RWD vehicles. Maybe DC decided not to implement it for FWD first, but a huge number of other FWD vehicles with ESC show Mr. WTF is being disengenuous.

Not to minimize your concern, but the Caliber is doing just fine without this option.
Lots of unsafe cars get sold. Exemplia gratii, Pintos (wanna buy a 4 wheel barbeque, kiddie?) sold like hotcakes into this market segment in the days of my youth.

I guess Toyota thinks the lives of Scion buyers are more important than DC thinks the lives of Caliber buyers are.

·
Registered
17 Posts
K7AAY said:
I guess Toyota thinks the lives of Scion buyers are more important than DC thinks the lives of Caliber buyers are.
Oddly enough, based on that list, Toyota doesn't give a damn about about the lives of xA or tC owners. And it's only optional on the Camry and Corolla. How dare they only protect the lives of those that can afford it!

Won't somebody please think of the children?!

I apologize, the above was inciteful. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just find it amusing that this one specific issue is so important. There are many different safety features and no one car has them all. Should every car have every available safety feature? If a car is missing one, then obviously they don't care about they buyers' lives as much as the car company that has it.

Dang it, I'm just making this worse.

I'm sorry, but that attempt to inject emotion into the discussion just irritated me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
+2. This has gotten out of hand. Who really gives a flying f-ck if it has stability control or not.

Common sense: Do not floor it in when there is water on the damn ground. Make sense?

·
Registered
64 Posts
A good and cautious driver can make do without ESP and the like. My daily driver is a '94 Rustang (lol) without ABS, traction control - anything. The last two winters we've had I hadn't even needed to put my snow tires on - I kept the all seasons on. I know, I know that even the "best" driver can't compensate for every occurance which is why ESP or brake assist or speed sensitive power steering can help, but if the driver doesn't have the common sense that God gave gravel then all that shit means.... well - SHIT!

:cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Its not that we don’t think your safety is important, in fact we use a rating system for vehicles called SUVPS. Safety is our first consideration.

The system could be in TBD state because the engineer’s have not deemed it ready for production. It is not uncommon for certain handling/suspension/electronics packages to be late availability items, in the case of the ESP and TCS it’s a culmination of all these systems. A poorly designed or deeply flawed traction control system can cause unforeseen complications resulting in a serious accident. The reason it isn’t out is because the engineers do in fact care.

Lets break down a few of the major safety options available to you:

4 Wheel ABS Brakes
SE - $400 Option
SXT - $400 Option
R/T - Standard

Tire Pressure Monitoring System
SE - Not available
SXT - $650 Driver Convenience Group Package*
R/T - $400 Driver Convenience Group Package

Included in Driver Convenience Group
• Auto-dimming interior rear view mirror w/HomeLink transceiver
• EVIC compass and temperature gauge
• Tire Pressure Monitoring Display (requires speed control on SXT)
*Speed Controll Option (SXT $250, Standard on R/T)

Standard on all Models
• Advanced multistage front airbags w/OCS
• Driver inflatable knee blocker airbag.
• Front & rear side airbags

A few of the members here have unfortunately been involved in accidents with there new Calibers. From what I have read, it seems every single one of them have come away unscathed, even if the vehicle was totally destroyed.

We anticipate very high crash test ratings from the NHTSA when the 2007’s are tested.

Dan

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't EVER understand why anyone argues with ABS, ESP, air bags, etc.

Sheesh! There are still people who don't wear their seat belts, because the odd one results in a person's injury or death, while the belts save thousands of lives.

People will argue over ANYTHING until a generation goes by. I'm sure someone argued that pressing on a pedal with your foot to slow down the vehicle was hazardous, since you could more easily control your hand and pull on the lever than push on something on the floor with your foot!!!

ABS can, in certain situations, shorten your braking distance and in others lengthen it, but it is designed more to allow you to avoid the accident by steering than by braking. And yet, because people refuse to learn something new, they don't like standard ABS on a vehicle. LEARN HOW TO USE IT AND POSSIBLY SAVE YOUR LIFE AND OTHERS!!!

Seat belts: How many people wouldn't wear them when they first came out and still won't today?

ESP: Yes, I agree with the people who say that you should drive carefully and responsibly and according to the conditions of the roads, etc. BUT, if the vehicle can help you IN ADDITION to your excellent driving style, why in God's green earth would you NOT want have it on your car!

Air bags: "I HATE when they get in the way as you're getting out of the car after a head-on collission! WHY DO THEY PUT THOSE THINGS IN THE CAR?" Doh! If it wasn't for so many of these safety innovations, you sure wouldn't have to worry about the car afterward! You'd be DEAD!!!

Give me seat belts, air bags all over the dang car, belt force limiters, belt tighteners, ESP, AWD, traction control, and throw in a Thank You card that I can send to the manufacturer for providing these safety items that enhance my already responsible driving!

50% of deaths are in ONE VEHICLE accidents. It's estimated that 50% of those deaths could be averted by a decent ESP system.

Come on, people! Get with the times! Sure, these things don't work perfectly all of the time, but the do reduce death and injuries, for goodness sake!

Even horse and buggy owners got kicked by the horse now and then, and they didn't say "If I drove this buggy more responsibly, I wouldn't need that dang horse!"

/rant off

I hope my message gets through, if not to the older crowd (I'm 51), but at least to the next generation who will DEMAND these safety features in their vehicles as standard.

At least some of them ARE standard as DodgeInfoCenter listed! Kudos to the manufacturers who provide them, standard or at least as reasonably priced options.

:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
TommyLee said:

ESP makes quite a difference on any car with 4 wheels, no matter which wheels are pushing/pulling the car around.

Check your information and stats before you throw out statements like ESP is not that beneficial on FWD cars.

ESP can be as simple as using a 4 line ABS system to brake one or more wheels at the right time to help correct the cars direction. What the driving wheels are doing at the time in this type of system has nothing to do with it. Where the front wheels are pointing does.

Greg

·
Registered
173 Posts
GregoriusM said:
ESP makes quite a difference on any car with 4 wheels, no matter which wheels are pushing/pulling the car around.

Check your information and stats before you throw out statements like ESP is not that beneficial on FWD cars.

ESP can be as simple as using a 4 line ABS system to brake one or more wheels at the right time to help correct the cars direction. What the driving wheels are doing at the time in this type of system has nothing to do with it. Where the front wheels are pointing does.

Greg
As for checking my stats before throwing out those statements, I was simply referring to the fact that the FWD setup, with most of the weight over the front wheels, is what provides FWD's with more traction and less need for ESP, or the like. RWD Cars like the 300/Magnum/Charger have roughly a 50/50 weight distribution, combined with ESP, to provide better traction than even FWD (due to ESP, I admit). DCX has offered traction control (not ESP) on many of their FWD cars for several years.

As for most cars being RWD, with this feature, I was referring to DCX models.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts