Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened twice now. My wifes SXT with CVT stalls in the morning when it is cold. She was pushing the gas on the phone with me today when it stalled. Anyone have this issue with a caliber with CVT?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just curious what you mean by stalls when cold. Do you mean start it up and off you go or does the car sit to warm up for a bit. I never just jump in and take off, but when its cold out and I take off after a few minutes of warming up I have to be extremely easy on the gas or it will bog down and sputter a bit. I never had it stall on me though.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It dies and needs to be restarted again or just falls on it's face a bit until warm? How cold is cold?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've read about this problem in other threads, so I parked my car outside in -13C overnight (not that cold, but it was an experiment)
No problem the next morning and I purposely gunned it. I'm wondering if in your case the defrost was on, which kicks in the A/C, causing a power dip?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mine has fallen flat...not stalled, just a few times. It doesn't overly concern me yet, but if it poses a danger such as pulling out into traffic, well then off it goes to the dealer!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's happened to me a couple times before, when the weather was warm. Like what EXcaliber said fallen flat. Only on a cold start, turn key, shift to drive, hit gas, no go.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It has done the same to me as well but only only if the wheels are turned nearly to full lock in either direction first. Just doesnt go but doesnt seem it will stall. When it does go its very abrupt and puts my head back in the seat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Caliber is about the exact same build as EXCaliber's, and it sounds like you and I have had the same basic experience.

A couple times while backing out of our driveway, and shifting into Drive, it has just flat stalled. Start it back up and no further problems.

Have not noticed what climate controls or anything else I may have had on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well It was like 25f here yesterday morning and my wife was defrosting the windows. She gave it a little gas and it stalled. Started right back up. Its at the dealer now because they are replacing our passenger seat (worn out in 3 months) so i am having them look at it. Doubt it will stall for them though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a SXT with a build date in early Feb. I live in North Dakota where temps have been anywhere from below 0 to 20F the past 2 weeks or so. No issues other than sluggish performance if you don't wait an adequate time (a few min) .

·
Registered
13 Posts
You know, not to tute my own horn but I would have to say I've probably had the coldest weather experience with my Caliber of anyone on the boards up to date(unless you're from where I am). We were down to minus 39.5 Celsius a couple weeks ago. That's also about minus 39 Fereinheit as well for your American folks. In other words very cold. I had no issues with the car. Actually the first day I woke up to it, I decided to try starting it without it being plugged in. The first try it didn't go but was close. I gave it about 45 seconds and the second try and started up with a little gas peddle fiddling. I was impressed. As for stalling, not yet. It's been a beaut in this cold weather.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Happened this morning to me. It was about 35F. Started the car, let it warm up for a bit, then it just stalled out. On restart, it was fine. It's been colder before, but this is the first time it's happened. However, I did do something different this time. I stepped on the gas pedal lightly to warm up the car a bit faster.

My normal procedure is to start the car, let the engine revs slow to 800 RPM's by itself, then put it into drive and go. Today, I was in a rush, so I pushed the gas pedal lightly to increase the revs to warm up the car faster. When I pushed the gas, I noticed that the revs would drop slightly before going up. On one of those rev drops, the engine stalled out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am reviving this thread.

This morning I went to my car to warm it up before work. I cranked it, got out to go back inside and realized after I closed the door that it wasn't running, so I crank it again and it cranked.

When I get off work, I go to the parking lot, crank up my car, get out to scrape the windows, get back in and realize that it has stalled again. I crank it up and it stays cranked.

About 7 miles down the road, on the interstate, I press the gas to pass a tractor-trailer and nothing. My car had stalled again, this time driving at 70mph in the middle passing lane. I drifted to the shoulder, the car came to rest, I cranked it up and drove on home with no further problems.

I can understand a possible misfire when cranking, but to stall at 70mph? Come on!

I'm going tomorrow to have my anti-freeze checked as I think that may possibly be the problem. I will keep you updated, but if anyone has any information or advice to offer, I'll gladly listen.

·
Registered
301 Posts
xcanuk said:
I've read about this problem in other threads, so I parked my car outside in -13C overnight (not that cold, but it was an experiment)
No problem the next morning and I purposely gunned it. I'm wondering if in your case the defrost was on, which kicks in the A/C, causing a power dip?
The AC compressor will not engage when it's that cold. The low pressure switch will be open.

·
Registered
301 Posts
darth duncan said:
I am reviving this thread.

This morning I went to my car to warm it up before work. I cranked it, got out to go back inside and realized after I closed the door that it wasn't running, so I crank it again and it cranked.

When I get off work, I go to the parking lot, crank up my car, get out to scrape the windows, get back in and realize that it has stalled again. I crank it up and it stays cranked.

About 7 miles down the road, on the interstate, I press the gas to pass a tractor-trailer and nothing. My car had stalled again, this time driving at 70mph in the middle passing lane. I drifted to the shoulder, the car came to rest, I cranked it up and drove on home with no further problems.

I can understand a possible misfire when cranking, but to stall at 70mph? Come on!

I'm going tomorrow to have my anti-freeze checked as I think that may possibly be the problem. I will keep you updated, but if anyone has any information or advice to offer, I'll gladly listen.
I can promise you it's not the antifreeze. Check the codes and see if you get anything.

With display set to show total miles and key off, turn the key on-off-on-off-on and wait for a code to display. If it just says --done-- then there are no codes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, DDC, I followed your instructions. Assuming that by "on" you mean turning the key until all the instrument lights light up.

After turning on and off for the suggested series..nothing special happened. No special codes or anything. When I turn my key to that position however, once, twice or however many times, the engine light stays on. I don't know if this is common or not since my car is usually either cranked or not, I don't leave the key in that position.

No problems this morning though, and it was just as cold as it was yesterday morning. Still, I'm suspicious of it ever since it stalled while driving it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Darth, does the problem persist? Have you been able to do anything about it? Has a dealer seen it?

Mine just died coming to a stop on an off-ramp today. Really weird. I don't have a CEL either.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Darth, does the problem persist? Have you been able to do anything about it? Has a dealer seen it?

Mine just died coming to a stop on an off-ramp today. Really weird. I don't have a CEL either.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
I've seen and heard of times when no cel would pop up but it was caused by either a bad battery or connection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts