Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Has anyone had problems with the stereo controls?

My left on is acting up....doesnt scan or change presets properly...

·
Registered
101 Posts
no problems here...

maybe a loose connection?

·
Registered
285 Posts
MikeyJCaliber said:
Hey,

Has anyone had problems with the stereo controls?

My left on is acting up....doesnt scan or change presets properly...
Does the whole left setup not work, or just one button?

·
Registered
285 Posts
MikeyJCaliber said:
If you hit the button for the presets it scans then goes to ch 1
Sooo.... It's functioning wrong? I'm sorry. I don't have my Dakota with me, so I can't go look and understand what you're tring to say. :(

·
Registered
901 Posts
MikeyJCaliber said:
If you hit the button for the presets it scans then goes to ch 1
(old thread I know - but it's the same topic.)

Y'know I hate to admit it but I've been having the same symptoms lately. But not all the time.

It started about a month ago when it was super hot and humid. I've been watching ever since (with this thread in mind). This sounds crazy and illogical, but, the problem seems to be happening ONLY when it is extremely hot and the interior of the car gets super hot as well. I have not observed this happening after the car interior cools off. Or lately, when it has not been so hot outside.

The center button acts as MikeyJ described it: it does not advance to the next preset. It goes to SCAN then jumps back to Preset 1.

Is it possible that the metal in the switch is of a low-grade that it reacts to heat????

Consider this..... in manufacturing circles, there is this "removal of hazardous substances" (RoHS) initiative. It's about getting hazardous substances out of consumer products in an effort to reduce pollution when things are disposed of. If your products are not RoHS compliant, you cannot sell them in certain counties, mostly European. (Considering Caliber is a world car, I am sure it must meet RoHS standards.)

One of the things RoHS dictates is lead content. Well, the solder that has commonly been used on printed circuit boards for decades has lead in it above acceptable levels. So it cannot be used any more. The "replacement" solder is pretty crappy. It has a much lower melt point and isn't as durable.

Hmmmm. What is in these steering wheel radio switches, I wonder.....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Kathy, the RoHS standard could cause a ton of problems on anything electronic. My company is having to deal with that issue. Our products are very sensitive to solder quality and type.

So far I haven't had any problems with my steering controls.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Huff said:
Kathy, the RoHS standard could cause a ton of problems on anything electronic. My company is having to deal with that issue. Our products are very sensitive to solder quality and type.

So far I haven't had any problems with my steering controls.
Yep, for work, that's why I know about it too. ;)

My steering controls (the left one) has been fine again too lately. But when I go in for my next oil change in a couple days they are going to check out the switch anyway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have also had intermittent problems with the stereo controls. Only the left hand control on the steering wheel. I have a short list of such items for the dealer next stop---F29 recall, exhaust noise still, broken strap on rear seat. All rather minor annoyances. I have 6200 miles on it, and nothing major so far.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had the problem with my left steering wheel control since I bought mine 3k miles ago, when I brought it in this week for an oil change they said they had to special order the fix and that it would be in next week. When it is fixed I will post how they fixed it and what exactly was the problem. Also they are fixing the rear washer fluid leak with a simple check valve.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same thing here too, the right volume side doesn't control the volume properly either. Sometimes I try to lower the volume and it raises. I have noticed the same humid day symptoms.

·
Registered
101 Posts
mine a couple days ago started acting up.... the left one wouldnt go forward it kept going backwards, and when i went to change the disc, it raised the volume... :confused:

what was wierd tho.... it only does it to me when its really hot in the car, like after its sat in the sun for a while.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Count me in the funky steering wheel audio controls too... seems that after using the on-radio controls, the steering wheel controls get flaky.

·
Registered
901 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Y'know I hate to admit it but I've been having the same symptoms lately. But not all the time.
Had mine checked today while in for my 6000 mile service. Of course it has been behaving lately and they could not reproduce the problem. They said if it happens again to come right in (no appt) and show them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm glad other people are having this problem so I know it's not just me. We've been having this problem in our Caliber for a long time. It's been hot (and humid) around here all summer, so that COULD be a possibility.

The bad news is that your new switch isn't a permanant fix. We've had the left side controls replaced twice and the right side controls replaced once. I noticed some intermittent problems with the right side again just the other day so we might be about to replace them again. The funny thing is that everything seems to work great for a little while, then it goes bad again.

EDIT:

Here's a thread I posted in another forum outlining what was going on (I can't post URL's yet, so replace the [DOT] with a "."):
www[DOT]dodgetalk[DOT]com/forums/showthread.php?p=1284304#post1284304

·
Registered
137 Posts
Add me to this list now. I thought it was happening when it was colder outside rather than hotter, but I didn't think about humidity, and that could be the answer as well, although this bad solder thing makes lots of sense. I'm due for another oil change, so I'll see what happens with the dealership.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Someone said (in another thread) that these are the same controls as are used on Jeep Liberty. Any Liberty owners out there seeing this problem too?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have this problem as well. Left side on my 2007 Caliber, about 8000 miles.

I noticed that it only happens after making a sharp turn, like there is a loose connection and it usually acts weird after that. Another turn, maybe in the other direction? Usually fixes it.

The left side will:

Hitting the center button will change channels up instead of going through presets.

Hitting the up button also changes channels up.

Hitting the down button increases my volume.

Sometimes the center button wont respond at all.

About 60% of the time it works as intended. I already brought it in to fix that as well as other problems, but it of course did not act up while I was in there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts