Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? I want to keep my steering wheel controls but have a Pioneer deh-p5900IB HU installed soon. is there just an adapter I need to purchase or is it more involved than that? Also... I'm putting two JL Audio w3v2 15" subs in the back with a Rockford 601s 1800W amp. Showing off? hardly... I have the BA upgrade sound system so should I bypass the 8 inch sub all together? or is that still usable (not that i could hear it). or maybe... could i just hook some other type of speaker to the 8" woofers amp? like some nice 6x9

I'm just brainstorming as I write this... some of the things may or may not make any sense at all. Please just post some suggestions/tips. thanks in advance!!!

There have been a few threads like this and I'm sorry for reposting, but they all seemed dead since last year. hopefully someone has done one or a few of the things I'm asking about

·
Registered
413 Posts
I believe the stock amp runs all the speakers......why would you replace an 8 with a 6x9? Not properly hooked up I think you are gonna have to use the power of the head unit to run your speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have one to play with yet, but I've been researching aftermarket info for a bit. There are connection kits you can buy which will enable the steering wheel controls to work some HUs and connect in to the chrysler BUS, check supported models. Just Google for chrysler interlinks or such.

Also my understanding is you can hook an aftermarket HU in to the BA amp but it only accepts 2 channel input so you lose fade and balance as the interlink device between the HU and the car sets everything to center.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok heres the breakdown. I used to be an installer for Best Buy and now Circuit City. The sub in fact has its own amp mounted directly on it. There is a harness that will tell the factory amp to turn on but in you're going to replace all the speakers you'll have to run new speaker wire from each speaker to the deck or aftermarket 4ch amp. Bypassing the factory is possible, but pointless as well due to the fact that you have to run speaker wire from certain wires on the factory amp to the deck. Keeping the steering wheel controls is possible with certain decks and is definately possible with you are getting (gotta love the 07 Pioneer decks). If you plan on having someone install the steering wheel control interface plan on paying about 200 to 250 with parts and labor

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:eek:... $200 to $250?? I think i might learn to live with reaching a few inches to change the track.

these are exactly the kind of replies i love to read:

1) the person who asks "what were you thinking?"
2) the person who researches before they buy (smart)
3) the person who is "in the business" and knows everything

now all I need is someone who has actually made their wheel controls work with an aftermarket HU

I'm gonna check google right now for a (cheap) chrysler interlink

·
Registered
683 Posts
There maybe more issues than just the steering wheel controls. If you have factory U-Connect, Sirius or the EVIC display you'll lose functionality of those with an aftermarket stereo.

There are a couple companies that make adapters to allow aftermarket stereos in Dodges with CAN-BUS but I'm not sure if they have anything for 2007's. They're also kinda pricey.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Huff said:
There maybe more issues than just the steering wheel controls. If you have factory U-Connect, Sirius or the EVIC display you'll lose functionality of those with an aftermarket stereo.

There are a couple companies that make adapters to allow aftermarket stereos in Dodges with CAN-BUS but I'm not sure if they have anything for 2007's. They're also kinda pricey.
The EVIC will work just fine however I have not seen the "brains" of the U-Connect so I don't know if that will be disturbed. The only thing you will lose is the track number and time the song has been playing or whatever it shows there. I really don't know because my factory radio wasn't in there long. Just plan on spending about $120 for the harness Made by Metra Model XSVi-6502 just keep in mind this harness will not turn on the factory amp but will make the deck turn on and stay on after key is taken out of ignition and door is opened.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Uconnect will still work as its spliced into the main radio harness independent of the radio. Of course you will no longer have uconnect info displayed anywhere other than the evic though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
joker2 said:
The EVIC will work just fine however I have not seen the "brains" of the U-Connect so I don't know if that will be disturbed. The only thing you will lose is the track number and time the song has been playing or whatever it shows there.
Thats what I was getting at. The station ID will not show up on the EVIC if you have an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Uconnect will still work as its spliced into the main radio harness independent of the radio. Of course you will no longer have uconnect info displayed anywhere other than the evic though.
I Believe UConnect sends an interrupt command across the CAN-BUS instructing the stereo to cut its audio. An aftermarket head unit thus won't mute. I'm not sure if the UConnect has a separate mute feed line that can be used instead. The Mopar accessory UConnect has this but it doesn't use CAN-BUS and uses it's own separate speaker.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I forgot about mute. I guess its not absolutely needed though. You would have to mute your radio manually but that may even mute the uconnect input... hmmm. I woudl have to look at the wiring diagrams again to see if there is a seperate mute feed. Even if it does it may not be useful with an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are giving some great info but I think I should mention that I don't have Uconnect.
Someone reading this may find all that very useful though.
By all means continue... but just letting you know, I'm Uconnect-less :eek:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Why are there 2 of the same posts really lol. Its like deja-vu! Yeah i had forgotten about the mute function. You would just end up having music and phone simotaniously at the same volume level. Probably make it hard to hold a conversation lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fingernipp said:
Probably make it hard to hold a conversation lol.
unless you're in the mary poppins mood

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the suggestions duuuuudes. I'm getting everything hooked up next sunday (march 25'th) at Best Buy. I found an aftermarket conversion thingy on crutchfield for $70 that allows the use of wheel controls with the new pioneer head units. in total, the installation part of it is quoted at $180. That's with amp, capacitor, head unit, wheel controls, a 1/4 inch input so my sub enclosure is a quick release (it's right above the spare tire so just in case) and of course all the wires will be hidden. I'll post pictures as soon as it's done and i'll be there during installation so I'll take a few during the process.

2 JL audio 15 inch W3V2 D4
Rockford Fosgate 601s (1800 watt)
Diesel Audio 1.5 farad capacitor
Diesel Audio wire kit
Pioneer DEH-P5900IB head unit
Receiver kit 142CR1286B (free)
Receiver kit add on- antenna adapter (free)
PAC SWI-PS Pioneer and Sony steering wheel radio control interface

Now i'm thinking about upgrading my mids and highs. suggestions?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I installed an aftermarket HU in an Olds I used to have and some of the steering wheel controls still functioned(I don't remember which). Is this not a possibility with the Cali?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
from what I gather from some of the replies, no, it's not possible without the proper harness. The one I bought can retain up to 9 different commands from the steering wheel controls. i'm assuming volume up, volume down, track up, track down, seek up, seek down, mode selection, preset channel selection and... that's all i can think of at the moment. all that leaves room for 1 more command. maybe power?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts