Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my caliber I noticed it when I first took it to get washed after a day or so It began to smell a little musky the smell was more pronounced when I turned on the air and used the circulate button,I guess cause It was summer it wasn't sticking in the car as bad but now that we have reached winter,The stink is almost unbearable I have nauseous kids and I have a big headache that won't go away,nothing was spilled back there its just wet on both rear floors and it stinks awful like mold anyyone here have this problem?My husbands friend said this happened to his sister with another dodge vehicle but it was not a caliber.If anyone is having this problem please let me know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
cannonball said:
I am having a problem with my caliber I noticed it when I first took it to get washed after a day or so It began to smell a little musky the smell was more pronounced when I turned on the air and used the circulate button,I guess cause It was summer it wasn't sticking in the car as bad but now that we have reached winter,The stink is almost unbearable I have nauseous kids and I have a big headache that won't go away,nothing was spilled back there its just wet on both rear floors and it stinks awful like mold anyyone here have this problem?My husbands friend said this happened to his sister with another dodge vehicle but it was not a caliber.If anyone is having this problem please let me know!
Offhand I would say you have a serious water leak,if the front carpet
is not wet then I would not think the AC is the source and you did say
it showed up after a carwash.
There have been a few reports of poorly sealed seams during build
process and DCX is aware of the problem so the reports say.
Again get the dealer on it that's what a warranty is for,
start out nice then lean towards PO'd to get action.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Tell them you want a NEW CARPET installed after they correct the leak. Make sure you tell the dealer you want the old carpet or just to see the old one after replacement. Can I ask what is the build month of your Caliber?

Sorry to hear about your problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Tell them you want a NEW CARPET installed after they correct the leak. Make sure you tell the dealer you want the old carpet or just to see the old one after replacement. Can I ask what is the build month of your Caliber?

Sorry to hear about your problem.
Where do I find the month it was built in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Should be on the inside of the drivers door. A long white sticker with black lettering.

Where is the carpet wet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
date of manufature is 07/06 and it is wet on both back floor,I called the dealership they want me to take it in so they can look for the leak and dry out the carpet,they d=said it would take 3 days.and didn't offer a rental,I told him I how would I get home and he said they have a shuttle service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
A good dealership would offer a rental, but if I'm correct I don't think a rental is required under the regular warranty. If you bought an extended warranty I think it should be covered without question. If the dealer will not replace the carpet make up some legal document talking about black mold spores and tell them your lawyer said for health liablity reasons you need this signed by the dealership before you take the car back. If anyone in you family has asthma this is no joke. Keep us updated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
I was thinking about the leak in the back only and wonder if it is
coming from under rear seat via fuel pump access panel,could be possible
if carwash you used has underbody spray system like many have now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the dealer told my husband he has an idea what it may be and that they will strip the car to find the leak and dry my carpet,I'm hoping they replace it though I don't wanna smell that in my car again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
I would never keep that carpet. Maybe if the leak was caught before the carpet started to stink/mold, it could be dried out. I'm a team leader in the plant and I install the carpets. If we even rip the carpet even a little I take it out and replace it with a new one. Sometimes the rip might not be seen until the car is almost finished being built and yes we take out the two bucket seats, rear bench seat, center console, shifter pod and loosen the shifter to replace it. If DCX makes the dealership leave that black mold spore carpet in your car I wouldn't take it back unless they refuse to replace it and I receive a letter from DCX telling me so. From there you would have the letter if you decided to use a lawyer or not. My guess is if you push the issue they will replace the carpet. Here is a number to call and tell them about what your dealership wants to do. Make sure you tell them about your kids with asthma. DCX Consumer Relations 1-800-992-1997 have you VIN number ready to give them. I'm really sorry you are having such a problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,881 Posts
cannonball said:
...I told him I how would I get home and he said they have a shuttle service.
ive always loved this response myself:mad:, apparently the shuttle is supposed to make you bow down to them and thank them for being so generous and considerate considering it was not your problem and now you are paying for a car that you cannot use, the least that they can do is offer a rental!!!!

Will the shuttle drive you to work? the kids to school? you to do shopping? or any other things that you might have to do? I DOUBT IT

I always wait at the dealer, even for such "simple" things as an oil change, it always seems to be done so much faster. Also as an added bonus i dont have to fear for my life with the shuttle driving me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bigtsr said:
I was thinking about the leak in the back only and wonder if it is
coming from under rear seat via fuel pump access panel,could be possible
if carwash you used has underbody spray system like many have now.
I don't know if that car wash has that or not I will ask them when I take it in to get washed tomorrow,I take it to the wash tub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
It was the car wash, trust me. The only thing I don't know is where the leak is for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I left my car at the dealer today,they said I could have it back in a few days, I feel nervous I don't want them to blame my kids for the mold! I mean they spilt a thing or two in there but I always dried it out real good and when I noticed this wet stuff it was water it didn't have no color to it.But this dealership is so strict they make me feel anxious and like a lowergrade person,I guess I feel like they leave me weak and I can't tell them exactly how I feel when I am in their prescense.I told him about the air conditioner moldy smell that comes from the vent and the wet back floors and the mold smells,he said they would pull everything out and deodorise the car,I told him my kids have asthma and he said yes your husband told me but I didn't get a straight answer.I guess I feel so uncofident about this dealership because they screwed my husband over with his car when he bought it there.they told him his clutch had gone out,and they said its normal wear and tear so he had to pay for it to be replaced plus for the labor.and when he refused to pay for it to get serviced there he had it towed to his work and when it got off the tow truck the car was running just fine,so as you can see I don't trust those people at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
^^^ Don't let them make you feel that way... you bought this and deserve good treatment.. Have the attitude and don't be affraid to rip someone a new one to get what you want! Tell them you will not take the car back without new carpet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
i would not even consider to go ever back to them isent there another dealer in town ,even in my small town there 5 dealers ?? Cheers thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
cannonball said:
I left my car at the dealer today,they said I could have it back in a few days, I feel nervous I don't want them to blame my kids for the mold! I mean they spilt a thing or two in there but I always dried it out real good and when I noticed this wet stuff it was water it didn't have no color to it.But this dealership is so strict they make me feel anxious and like a lowergrade person,I guess I feel like they leave me weak and I can't tell them exactly how I feel when I am in their prescense.I told him about the air conditioner moldy smell that comes from the vent and the wet back floors and the mold smells,he said they would pull everything out and deodorise the car,I told him my kids have asthma and he said yes your husband told me but I didn't get a straight answer.I guess I feel so uncofident about this dealership because they screwed my husband over with his car when he bought it there.they told him his clutch had gone out,and they said its normal wear and tear so he had to pay for it to be replaced plus for the labor.and when he refused to pay for it to get serviced there he had it towed to his work and when it got off the tow truck the car was running just fine,so as you can see I don't trust those people at all.
With the above comments cannonball, I'm surprised you still take your car there for servicing. If you don't have any faith in the dealership, AND they make you feel nervous/unworthy, that's a signal for you to run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. It's probably for good reason. Use your instincts.

Find a 5 Star dealership in your area you at least feel comfortable with even if it means driving a little further. Ask to speak with the Service Manager, voicing your concerns about your previous experiences. You are not obliged to take your car to any particular dealership. You'll know when you've found an acceptable dealership.

Don't forget to complete the customer satisfaction questionaire and mail it off. If enough negative feedback is given to a dealer, they stand to lose their 5 Star rating by DCX.

I'm not even going to ask what they said about your brakes... (remember your husband's clutch!!!)

Medic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Medic said:
With the above comments cannonball, I'm surprised you still take your car there for servicing. If you don't have any faith in the dealership, AND they make you feel nervous/unworthy, that's a signal for you to run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. It's probably for good reason. Use your instincts.

Find a 5 Star dealership in your area you at least feel comfortable with even if it means driving a little further. Ask to speak with the Service Manager, voicing your concerns about your previous experiences. You are not obliged to take your car to any particular dealership. You'll know when you've found an acceptable dealership.

Don't forget to complete the customer satisfaction questionaire and mail it off. If enough negative feedback is given to a dealer, they stand to lose their 5 Star rating by DCX.

I'm not even going to ask what they said about your brakes... (remember your husband's clutch!!!)

Medic
thats funny,I will tell you though its an interesting one too,We got this car from them only after they pushed it on us,we went in for a replacement car for my husband and they said that the deal was already done with that car and that we probly couldn't get a car from no one else,and when we'd say well what about that car there or that one overthere he just kept avoiding the subject and they basically shoved my husband into this car,well it has like a shake to it when he drives it on the high way like suspension problems and they had told him to bring it back and they'd fix it at no charge,so he brings it in and they start telling oh well its the new rims you put on it bring it back when you put the original rims back on it,so he brought the tires in and told them here yall put them on if yall want to test drive it with those old tires,so thats when they called him a few hours later telling him the clutch had gone out and that the car was stuck in gear and couldn't be moved at all unless he paid for it to be serviced because that was something that was not covered as it was normal wear and tear,my husband and I refused to believe it and he decided to have the car towed away at out expense of course,and as soon as it came off the tow truck the mechanic at my husbands work,tested the car out and he said that there was nothing wrong with the clutch so basically they were either making an excuse to not test drive the car or they wanted him to pay for getting something fixed that didn't need fixing possibly so they could just pocket the money,and actually this is the service manager who likes to act like a complete ass,so we were left with no choice but to keep that car the way it is and keep running it till its completely gone,the ac compressor went out after that but I guess thats what happens when you buy used anyhow,I thought I had to take it back to the dealer I bought my car from to get it serviced when It was something serious covered under warranty,Oh my yall are saying I could of taken it anywhere? There is another well a few actually dodge dealerships I take it about five minutes away to Fiesta dodge for oil changes,But I thought when It came to a major problem like leaks I had to take it in to where I originally bought it from.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top