Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Sunday I plan on swapping my base stereo with the midrange stereo. Removing the bezel seems pretty straightforward, but I assume I'll need some kind of stereo removal tool to get the original unit out of the dashboard, yes? Is this something I can get from Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Not sure about the Caliber, and I am sure someone can jump in. My Neon was 4 screws and it was out, that was after I removed the silver bezel and vents. Total time 2mins!:D:cool:

I don't see any special tool needed really.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
A plastic spatula from the kitchen to pop the bezel off, a 7MM socket(or phillips head socket) and ratchet for the screws holding on the climate controls, and whatever size is needed for the head unit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
HSKR said:
A plastic spatula from the kitchen to pop the bezel off, a 7MM socket(or phillips head socket) and ratchet for the screws holding on the climate controls, and whatever size is needed for the head unit.
Headunit is held in by 7mm as well. Bear in mind you will have to run a wire from the new headunit to the switched 12V+ (accessory plug under shifter pink wire).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
They are 7mm bolts with allen heads. You will need a 7mm boxed wrench or small socket wrench to remove the climate controls from the bezel though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would I need to remove the climate controls? Is it just to get the bezel out of the way, or is something more sinister happening?

And what's with this: Bear in mind you will have to run a wire from the new headunit to the switched 12V+ (accessory plug under shifter pink wire).

Why would I need to do this? I'm simply swapping the bottom-end head unit for the midrange head unit. Everything I've read about the process tells me that it's literally a remove-and-replace installation. Is this not so?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
^^ you don't it just makes it a little easier....just use a screw driver or drill with a screw bit. really easy.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
yeah youd ont have to remove the bezel completely but it reduces the risk of breaking the cables.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Dodges since 2004 use the CAN-BUS system which allows the cars computer to communicate with just about everything in the car including the stereo. When you start the car the computer sends a command to the stereo for it to turn on. It does not use a seperate wire for ignition-on as most earlier stereos did. If you are replacing the head unit with a non Can-Bus stereo then you will need to run the new head units switched power lead to the +12Volt side of the cigarette adapter thats just below the stereo.

Make sure you buy a stereo wiring harness from your local car stereo shop or even Walmart for about $10. This makes wiring much easier and eliminates having to cut wires in your Caliber.

Keep in mind if your Caliber has Factory Sirius, steering wheel controls, EVIC display or U-Connect options then you may lose these features.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would caution against using something metal like a screwdriver to pop out the bezel. I think you'll leave scratches behind. There is a tool for the job which I ordered and have but it's much like the plastic spatula described elsewhere. Its a plastic stick, very hard plastic, that is bevelled on one of the broad sides to a point making a blade and the business end. Like a plastic chisel. You're basically wedging the bezel from the enclosure to release the tabs underneat. First remove the shifter bezel. That frees the bottom of the radio stack bezel. Then work up. The ver top of the bezel rotates off. If you're putting in another radio built for the Caliber its just plug and play. If not, then you'll have to arrange for separate power at the least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts