Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at possibly painting the grill crosshairs in the future.

My SE has the body colour matched crosshairs and I liked the chromed look the next models have.

I think I read somewhere here that the 2007s (not the 2006.5) onward the chrome look will be optional (please correct me if I am wrong)

If the grill come off fairly easily. It'd be nice to be able to DIY!

I'm someone has pics of the fasteners and locations it'd be great!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
What are you going to do with it when you get the grill off? Chrome plate it? I'd be careful of that chrome-in-a-can paint stuff... it looks awful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My brother only took one pic where you can kinda see behind the front bumper when he was installing some LEDs, the pic needs resizing though. From what he says if you remove the grill it's gonna have to be replaced with another by the way its put together. There's some clips that hold it to the bumper and some bolts that from what he says are kinda molded or protected in some fashion which will damage the grill when removed. We might have to take the bumper off again next weekend anyway so I'll try to take pics then.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also want to know how to take the grill out. I have been trying to figure out how to take them out without damaging the grill or the bumper.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Our dealer will be replacing our grill for us, it should have had the chrome..it came color matched. I can ask them how it comes off once they fix it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Caliberchic, once you get it off, can you ask the dealer if you can keep it? I've been wanting to do a mod on mine for a while but, I'm afraid to mess up my grill and have nothing to go back to. I asked the dealer how much it would be to get a new one and they quoted a price well over $200. I really don't want tio spend that much if I don't have to. I'm sure it's a long shot but, figure it's worth a try.

·
Registered
689 Posts
CaliberChic said:
Our dealer will be replacing our grill for us, it should have had the chrome..it came color matched. I can ask them how it comes off once they fix it.
You are pretty lucky the dealer doesn't know whats going on, congrats. I hope the factory doesn't straighten him out before he can get the order in, because warranty might question it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1. Remove the plastic radiator support shroud. -10mm and T20 screws

2. You now have a gap behind the grille. Reach in and remove the "nuts" -7/16" or 11mm - 6 total

3. With even pressure, pull the bottom of the grille straight out to remove the "nasty clips". I call them nasty because they hurt your fingertips. - 4 total

4. DONE

Grille.jpg

-Mark-

·
Registered
155 Posts
WannabeRT said:
1. Remove the plastic radiator support shroud. -10mm and T20 screws

2. You now have a gap behind the grille. Reach in and remove the "nuts" -7/16" or 11mm - 6 total

3. With even pressure, pull the bottom of the grille straight out to remove the "nasty clips". I call them nasty because they hurt your fingertips. - 4 total

4. DONE

-Mark-
Great reply!!And pic to boot!!!And now we know:D:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anybody know where you can get the honeycomb that is used in the grilles, I really would prefer not to get that mesh screen that the imports use. YUCK

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's a guy who redid the grill on his R32 who wrote up a great how to.

WWW.stripethree.net/r32-grille.php

I'm pretty sure he says where he got his honeycomb there. This is the mod I've been looking at doinf for the Caliber. This is also why I was hoping to see if CaliberChic's was able to keep her old color matched grill. I don't want to mess up and have no grill at all. Ther replacement grill's from the dealer are well over $200. Seems steep to me for bit of plastic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can't find any honeycomb you can try...Triple w mcmaster.com search the Wire Cloth, Mesh, and Perforated Sheets section. I have the "Hexagonal Hole Perforated Sheet" on my Neon's body kit. I had it powdercoated before installing, it doesn't have that HomeDepot look. If you want I can take a pic of it tomorrow (it's too late right now) :)

-Mark-

·
Registered
188 Posts
SXTman said:
There's a guy who redid the grill on his R32 who wrote up a great how to.

WWW.stripethree.net/r32-grille.php

I'm pretty sure he says where he got his honeycomb there. This is the mod I've been looking at doinf for the Caliber. This is also why I was hoping to see if CaliberChic's was able to keep her old color matched grill. I don't want to mess up and have no grill at all. Ther replacement grill's from the dealer are well over $200. Seems steep to me for bit of plastic.
I asked to keep it, the parts guy mumbled something like holding for a few weeks to see if they said anything about a warranty, then if not I could have it. He said he would check on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
WannabeRT said:
If you can't find any honeycomb you can try...Triple w mcmaster.com search the Wire Cloth, Mesh, and Perforated Sheets section. I have the "Hexagonal Hole Perforated Sheet" on my Neon's body kit. I had it powdercoated before installing, it doesn't have that HomeDepot look. If you want I can take a pic of it tomorrow (it's too late right now) :)

-Mark-
Would love to see some pictures of your kit. Did you do it yourself? How complicated was it? Answers, answers, lol. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
CaliberChic said:
I asked to keep it, the parts guy mumbled something like holding for a few weeks to see if they said anything about a warranty, then if not I could have it. He said he would check on it.
Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed but I won't hold my breath or anything. Thanks a lot for asking. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, the body kit is actually off the car but here's the pics...

The hex mesh is contoured around the backside of the openings and glued to the bumper. I scuffed up the backside of the bumper where I was going to attach the mesh. Then I used some bumper bondo to glue it down. I had the body kit on for several years and it's still holding strong.

-Mark-
Bumper.jpg

Bumper1.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks really good there man. How sturdy does the bondo feel when you apply it? I don't want to worry about any mods that I do to the grille and was planning on using the same stuff.

I just bid on a replacement SXT grille on ebay so, if no one else bids on it, I should be able to mod mine and put all together for under $100. What doi you think my chances are? HAHAHA! Well, I'm hoping to get the grille for less than what Mopar charges for it. Any way, wish me luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, got a grille on ebay. There was one on there that was going for around $100 and I got outbid on that. It's up over $150 now. Then I looked again and found one for $60 buy it now. I don't think leopards move as quickly as I did when i hit the buy button. Once I get the grill, mod it and get it on the Caliber, I'll post some pics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts