Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So like, the other day, I'm driving up to the military base near our house in North Bay ON, (northbay.ca, airforce.forces.gc.ca/22wing - ADD WWW to leading end of both for valid link) being very careful to observe all traffic laws - there is no mercy shown by the MPs to civilians who break DND rules on base. We've had our red RT for about a week now and are getting lots of looks, thumbs up and gotta-see-up-closers. I pull in to the Base Recreation centre and park - daughter Madeline in the car with me - signing up for swim classes. As I shut 'er down, MP pulls up in his Yukon, blocking me...gets out - he's quite large (fit kind of large, you know), and pulls on his red beret. I'm having a small coronary episode and trying to figure out for what violation I'm about to be spatchcocked. :eek:

MP: 'Afternoon sir. I'd like to inspect your daughter's car seat.
ME: (Gulp) Sure thing officer (Madeline has never been extricated from her seat in such swift and violent fashion).
MP: It's a bit loose - how 'bout we fix that up for her.
ME: (this ticket is going to wipe out national debt...I am friggin' done) Sounds great...you're far too kind. How can I help you officer? :eek:

Big MP and I wrestle with the car seat - turns out it was pretty tight already...some minor adjustments made the install nuclear. As we finish up the adjustment, I get a little bold (I'm not too bright you see...) ;)

ME: Thanks so much for helping. Not that I want to get a ticket...I'm curious as to what traffic law I broke?
MP: (Smiling ;)) You're all good. Just wanted to TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE CAR!

He and his wife are car shopping...we chatted about the Cali - I offered a test drive (declined...on duty and kitted out with 'commando' gear). Have seen him twice more...gave the wave.

Whole experience has perhaps knocked 3-5 yrs. off my life. No ticket though.

Cheers! :)

Steve

·
Registered
285 Posts
I understand the 3-5 five years. But I'm glad he was just truly looking at the car!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Oh My Gosh! That is funny but kind of rude and an abuse of power really. He should know people are going to be stressed out by something like that, plus what if you were in a hurry to get somewhere. He needs to look at cars on his own time, and AT the dealership.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I hate when I am being followed by the Police. You start getting all nervous and then you do something stupid being nervous. My wife, when she was younger had a run in with the MP's. She and her family were on the way to VA. for vacation. Somewhere in DE, they made a wrong turn, ending up going through Dover AFB, and went into an area that no civilians were suppose to be. She said they had like 10 MP's in cars surrounding them with there guns drawn. Never the less, they were scared...lol.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Woah thats scary kjguy! I live in Dover and can't imagine accidentally getting onto a civilian-restricted area of the base but I guess it can happen! Your wife must of been so freaked out, poor thing!

·
Registered
126 Posts
katiescaliber said:
Woah thats scary kjguy! I live in Dover and can't imagine accidentally getting onto a civilian-restricted area of the base but I guess it can happen! Your wife must of been so freaked out, poor thing!
This was before I met her, so it was a long time ago. The story I got was they made a wrong turn off Rt.1 looking for Rt. 113. My mother in law isn't good with directions and refuses to take the interstate, they scare her. They were on their way to Chincoteague.

·
Registered
285 Posts
kjguy_43 said:
I hate when I am being followed by the Police. You start getting all nervous and then you do something stupid being nervous. My wife, when she was younger had a run in with the MP's. She and her family were on the way to VA. for vacation. Somewhere in DE, they made a wrong turn, ending up going through Dover AFB, and went into an area that no civilians were suppose to be. She said they had like 10 MP's in cars surrounding them with there guns drawn. Never the less, they were scared...lol.
And that won't happen anymore since 9/11. Security has become extremely tight on most bases.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks, Steve,
I've made a note to avoid CFB North Bay in my Caliber. Can't believe he put you through that to inspect the car!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The guy actually was pretty cool - he was clearly bored. I was happy to share my early impressions of the car and equally pleased I have a Federal stamp of approval for my car seat install. Saw him on patrol again as I drove up to check out King of the Hill drag racing this past wknd. (kingofthehilldragway.ca )

Got to go take my nitroglycerin pill...:D

Cheers!

Steve

·
Registered
361 Posts
I do a fair amount of aviation related photography, and have always found MPs around CFB Trenton and CFB Borden to be rather nice. The first couple times I was approached, I almost had a heart attack. I could feel that ball in the pit of the stomach :)

Usually it's just some questions about what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, about the camera, and finally if I'm some where that I shouldn't be (I don't go into any restricted areas, but sometimes they don't want you in some spots)..They'll make a suggestion for a better spot. Very nice guys so far..

You might have pushed him int getting a Caliber :D I saw one MP I had spoken to earlier at the Armed Forces Day event yesterday at Borden, well, he saw me first.. I lost another 3-5 years when I felt a hand drop on my shoulder from behind with quite an authoritative grip :) He bought a camera just like I had :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here's the opposite story... my best friend for many years became a metro copper. Got together last night and went to this crazy biker bar. Having a cop for a passenger was a bit odd, but not as odd (to me) as this bloke being the cop! So with my 'get out of jail free' card riding suicide (old-school for shotgun), I pushed the Cali a wee bit over legal limits ;-)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh... My heart woulda stopped! Good thing he just liked the car!!!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
tanners said:

MP: (Smiling ;)) You're all good. Just wanted to TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE CAR!

Steve

LOL!!!!:):) Well funny for me reading the end of it, but not for you in the beginning!:eek:

Pretty cool!:D:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Cool story, mines not tho...
4th day of having our Cali... 2:30AM. Not speeding, not drunk... saw a cop pass me in the opposite lane and whip it around like I stole it. He tells me that he pulled me over for not having license plate lights. 4 DAYS OLD!!! I know they worked I saw them the night of the purchase. They were BOTH burned out. I replaced them the next day - a la Autozone. Been 1 1/2 weeks, and they are still bright. The dealer cant explain, niether can I... Got a warning, He must have been bored.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Don't slam the hatch-unless they were defective from the start the only
other physical reason for them to fail is closing the hatch too forcefully.
If lights are on filaments can fail from such a force,the hatch on my
Caliber closes properly just by letting it close on its on weight once
past the leverage points of the gas struts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My husband got pulled over right after we got his 4-door wrangler.. the cop also asked to "inspect the car seat" in the back, I think just so he could get a better look at the inside... we also didn't get a ticket.

I've yet to be pulled over in my caliber though.. in just over 3 weeks I'll have had it for a year. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Lately the bases around here have stepped up their random vehicle inspections for bombs, drugs, etc. as we enter base. Einsiedlerhof AS is a small base and the gates are locked between 2000 and 0600 every night. The SPs set up their inspection in the morning when the gates open. Most people on base don't start work until 0730, but for the last two weeks I've been going in at 0630. Because there is less traffic going on base an hour before work, my chances of getting inspected are higher that early in the morning. In the last two weeks (ten days of work) I've had my car inspected six times.

Yesterday, the SP that was going through all the nooks and crannies of my car kept saying, "Nice car." "This is a really nice car." "I really like this car." "This is a very nice looking car." etc. He just couldn't express enough how much he liked my car. So, since there wasn't any other traffic coming in for him to check, I spent a few minutes telling him about it and how much they cost. I think we might have another Caliber owner in the area soon.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Michael K. said:
...Yesterday, the SP that was going through all the nooks and crannies of my car kep saying, "Nice car." "This is a really nice car." "I really like this car." "This is a very nice looking car." etc. He just couldn't express enough how much he liked my car...
That's because SPs are very fine folks with impeccable judgment and taste.

At least, they were when I was one... :eek: :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Harley said:
. . . when I was one...
They wouldn't let me be a SP because I know who both of my parents are.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's all in fun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts