Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have yet to see this covered, and I am not sure if anyone but me would even try it, (i like to play with things.) I have an sxt with a sunroof. If I have the sunroof on vent or closed, and i put the two back windows all the way down, but keep the front ones up, the sunroof flexes in and out quite a bit, and makes quite and interesting noise througout the car. I was doing about 60mph (100kmh) when i noticed it. Has anyone else noticed this? Does it make the same noise on those of you with no roof. Keep the front windows all the way up, and the back two all the way down, and tell me what you get. I just wonder if I was going really fast, what would happen to the sunroof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the sxt also, no sunroof....but i did notice that odd sound when the back windows were rolled down on the freeway. But, if I crack one of the front windows a little it goes away...not sure what it is though

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Most likely, what you describe are normal effects of "wind buffeting", which is mentioned in several threads here and in the Caliber Owners Manual.

It is a rather unavoidable (and as i said - normal) phenomenon that can be caused by certain ways that windows and other openings are positioned, regardless of how well engineered and designed a vehicle is.

It is relieved by opening, closing or repositioning the windows and other wind entrances/exits until the effect is gone.

Here is a link to a good article on wind buffeting as it relates to auto design by DaimerChrysler:

http://www.deskeng.com/Articles/Applications/Reducing-Wind-Fatigue-and-Summer-Headaches-20041201213.html

·
Registered
384 Posts
No I don't think the sunroof is suppossed to be flexing at all!

I have the sunroof and mine never moves, as it shouldn't!

You better get that checked out.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My sunroof and headliner and even my ears start to flutter like crazy if I lower the rear windows at 100 kmh. This is normal on most cars. My 96 Benz even has the same buffeting to some extent. Your owners manual mentions it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts