Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all. I was on the way home the other evening it was raining rather hard. Thus I had my head and fog lights on in turn all the consol lights were on (obviously).
Now to get to the point I noticed that on my center consol the hot cold adjustment handle base, with the blue and red lines got very hot to the touch. I mean it was so hot that if I left my fingers on that area for any amount of time I could have blistered:eek: . this may be normal to some degree i'm sure, but so hot to cause blisters on the tips of my finger???
Has anyone else noticed this?? my ride with the lights on that evening was 45mins. so if anyone has not noticed this I urge you to check the heat in that area the next time you go for a long ride with the headlights on. I worry about the effect on the rubber buttons in that area over time or even if its a long enough ride with that heat or more fire. anywho sorry for being so long winded.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've noticed this as well. I've been making a small list of questions for my dealer when I'm there next.

The hottest part is the AC fan power dial at the "full" position. It doesn't get hot enough to hurt (for me anyway), but it leaves a bit of a sting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've noticed it too. The center knob controlling the fan seems to get the hottest. It feels like the the bulb is right beneath the plastic layer and can burn you if you keep your finger there for more than 2 seconds.

I've driven over 2 hours with the console lights on, and there wasn't a fire, but as for the long-term survivability of the rubber buttons, I don't know.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Would be possible to replace those bulbs with some super bright LEDs?

·
Registered
901 Posts
My 2002 Stratus had the same hot spot. I was hoping it would not be present in Caliber, but apparently it is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I dont think it gets hot enough to cause melt down or ignition of the consol, but yes mine does it too, like its been said though....Caliber is a hot car ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
mine gets really hot too.... have had it on for 4 hours once tho.... and no problems... just got really hot!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
the 1st gen neons have the same thing.. you guys have bulbs underneith there, so expect a bit of heat.. [change to LED and you shouldnt have an issue with it]

·
Registered
294 Posts
I haven't noticed anything yet and I usually with my parking lights on even though I have DRL. No one suggested it yet, but try lowering the intensity of the lights (or does that only affect the instrument cluster)

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you take the car to my dealer and tell them that here would be their response...."Oh well it's normal, maybe you should just drive with the lights off at night and the dials won't get that hot...Huh Huh".

I know this because they gave me a similar response about the exhaust pinging. They told me that if I didn't drive long distances that the pinging wouldn't happen. Even though I only live 2 minutes from the dealership.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
jongunz said:
If you take the car to my dealer and tell them that here would be their response...."Oh well it's normal, maybe you should just drive with the lights off at night and the dials won't get that hot...Huh Huh".
LOL, yeah that's what I was thinking too. But I'm working my service manager here and training him to be a good provider :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
GOT said:
LOL, yeah that's what I was thinking too. But I'm working my service manager here and training him to be a good provider :D
I sent in one of those, "How Are We Doing?" cards that was given to me after I had my exhaust replaced for the pinging. I gave Great reviews for the service manager and the people that I dealt with. I also told them how happy I was with the saleslady who sold me my Caliber. The thing is though, I wasn't lying. They really have done a great job in helping me out, but I figure that after they got the card, they would contact the service manager, and the next time I take it in, they'll be even extra nice! I'm taking it in next week for another oil change, and whatever I can think of. I'll let ya know how that kindness thing works out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
xcanuk said:
I haven't noticed anything yet and I usually with my parking lights on even though I have DRL. No one suggested it yet, but try lowering the intensity of the lights (or does that only affect the instrument cluster)
just so you know... driving with just parking lights... most places... illegal... and not safe...

·
Registered
42 Posts
GOT said:
.......I'm working my service manager here and training him to be a good provider :D
LOL, we need customers like this at our store!
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

Sorry, back on topic
The posts about the heat are due to the bulbs, this is a normal condition and is not classified as a defect. Someone posted if you were to change the bulbs to LED's, you would no longer have this heat build up. That is correct, but these are not available from Chrysler, you would have to find an aftermarket source for the LED's.

·
Registered
294 Posts
mudstone said:
just so you know... driving with just parking lights... most places... illegal... and not safe...

Just to clarify, I run with parking lights during the daytime, usually before sunset/sunrise. While DRL work grear for being seen, I like my tail lights on as well... driving into the sun, I find it easy to lose the car ahead of you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
hmmm I always thought the parking lights were on with the DRL's after going down and looking they are not :(good to know. As far as the hot console I haven't noticed my buttons being hot however try putting your hand in the little console below the radio when you have your heat on... that gets really hot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
^ Why would you be running your heater already? Cold in VA? Still HOT all the way up here in Canada. ;)

I haven't noticed a hot console yet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sherdog said:
^ Why would you be running your heater already? Cold in VA? Still HOT all the way up here in Canada. ;)

I haven't noticed a hot console yet.
Actually it was in NY two weeks ago during the lovely weather Ernesto brought. I had it on low because we all go soaked and it was cold at night.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts