Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hoping the noise is from the bushings, but part of me is uncertain so I will explain the noise:

1st off, the front bar is a tight fit behind the wheel (I'm not 100% caught up on the terms/naming of the components). It almost seems as if the bar would rub up against the front mounting bolt of the cross member (either side) if the suspension compressed even slightly.

The bar is installed the 'right way' as it goes over the steering.

Anyways, every littler 'bump' in the road makes a rubbing/vibration sound from the suspension; the bigger the bump, the louder the sound. It's clunky sounding on big bumps, but on slight bumbs it sounds more like rubbing. Its hard to see if there is any rubbing where I described, but it looks like there might be.

Is it possible the cross member is making this sound if its not tight enough?

Any thoughts, or if this looks the same on 'your' setup (assuming 'you' have the mopar sway bars installed)

Any input is appreciated...or even a picture of how the way should look behind the wheels would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Icemanthrilla should have the answer you're looking for just let him see the thread...

·
Registered
373 Posts
bump for ice :bigthumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
your assumption is exactly right. Your bar is hitting the cradle mounting bolt when the suspension compresses.
All you need to do is get it on ramps or something and loosen the bushing clamp bolts enough to slide the bar right or left. Make sure your wheels are straight when you do this. If you get directly under each side and look straight up you can almost eyeball where it needs to be. Retighten bushing bolts.
I made the same mistake at first and resolved it this way. I have also had mine slip out of position AutoXing, so make sure everything is at torque specs.
Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Tedman. We took a look at the bushings, and the bar centering, but it was already centered. It really looks like its the wrong bar. The rear bar fit perfectly, but this front one really seems like its for a different model of Caliber. Mine is 08 SRT4, and there didn't seem to be different kits for different years.

Here is a picture of my issue. You can see the bolt rubbing on the bar. It is identical on both sides as well.

The box the kit came in, as well as the instructions are labeled the correct part # according to the catalog.

There are different kits for different Calibers, so I wonder if the box was mislabeled. Part# P-5155037.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Yeah dude its right. For some reason it is that way. Give a week or so it will go away.

How do u like the bends now. No body roll less tq steer.

After the noise goes away u won't regret puting these bastards on.

Listen to what tedman said just to make sure but my stuff is still good so far and after almost two months now zero issues.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
^ so far everyone with these installed said the same thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ so far everyone with these installed said the same thing.
Can anyone else confirm this? As in, everyone has experienced the bolt rubbing issue. (?) Eventually, the bolt will rub through the metal but will also reduce the rigidity of the bar which sucks.

Comparing the bends on the stocker vs the mopar, the stocker has a longer decline after the control arm. It goes well below and short of that bolt.

I have another kit ordered in and will be visually inspecting the possible 'replacement' one versus the stock and see how it lines up. If its identical, then I can safely say its 'the way they are' (or someone else confirms ahead of time). I will note that the front one was a absolute pain in the ass to install, and I don't really want to swap back out again.

The bars otherwise are doing their thing. The car seriously carves into turns.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Reactions: relicz3k

·
Registered
559 Posts
where can I get these for a good price?

I want these sway bars but don't like the Mopar prices i keep seeing. j/w if there was a good spot with a good deal?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
modern has them for $299.99 + tax and shipping :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
^banging the crap out of it is probably the same as riding it out and letting everything adjust on its own.

not saying hes wrong, its just bangin something with a hammer usually only fixes old t.v.'s. :jester:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
:beerchug:
^banging the crap out of it is probably the same as riding it out and letting everything adjust on its own.

not saying hes wrong, its just bangin something with a hammer usually only fixes old t.v.'s. :jester:
Lies banging something fixes everything its the all american fix it :jester:, if that doesnt work DUCT TAPE gaurenteed to work :rofl:

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
aaah yes good ol duck tape...

funny story, my dad always uses that line and i even had to buy em a t shirt with a big roll of duck tape on it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
duct tape and zip ties ftw!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update:

I have resolved the rubbing issue to the point that there is no sound whatsoever except the sound of the bushings.

We didn't have to bang anything with a hammer, but we did have to loosen the bushin brackets and pull the bar as far back as they would slide. There is about 1/8th of an inch of movement possible with the brackets on the k frame.

Now I'm getting the BC Coilovers, so I hope this doesn't pop up again...that would just suck. Does anyone have the morpar sways specifically with the BC Coilvers? Do the sway links line up the same...the bar still fits etc?

Thanks to everyone for their input and help; its very much so appreciated.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Update:

I have resolved the rubbing issue to the point that there is no sound whatsoever except the sound of the bushings.

We didn't have to bang anything with a hammer, but we did have to loosen the bushin brackets and pull the bar as far back as they would slide. There is about 1/8th of an inch of movement possible with the brackets on the k frame.

Now I'm getting the BC Coilovers, so I hope this doesn't pop up again...that would just suck. Does anyone have the morpar sways specifically with the BC Coilvers? Do the sway links line up the same...the bar still fits etc?

Thanks to everyone for their input and help; its very much so appreciated.
Thanks for the follow up!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts