Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about changing the tires/wheels out on a SXT which has stock 17" wheels. I wan't 18's. The tires that come on the R/T(correct me if I'm wrong) are 215/55/18. The ones that I'm thinking about are 235/55/18. Would the 235/55/18 tires work on the SXT Caliber?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
They will work, but they will throw your speedometer off. If you want to keep the 235 width, you'd need to use a 235/50/18 tire to keep the speedometer close.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So in your personal opinion, if I had to buy more tires would it be best to buy the 215/55/18 or the 235/50/18?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Personally, if you were going to buy new tires, I'd go with the 235/50/18's. And use that BFG G-force ones I linked. They are great tires. I've used them on my Dakota, and were one of the best tires I've used. Even used them in the snow and they did good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I stuck with the 235/55/18's could the dealership 'calibrate' the speedometer to make up the difference of having bigger tires?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I also purchased the tires in HSKR's post... I think someone mentioned the dealership could recalibrate your speedometer fro around 50$ but I didn't want to have to deal with that.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
sumpunk85 said:
If I stuck with the 235/55/18's could the dealership 'calibrate' the speedometer to make up the difference of having bigger tires?
What is your reasoning behind wanting to use 235/55 tires?? As it is, with putting on the bigger wheels, they are probably going to have to re-calibrate your PCM. Not sure if the tire diameter is the same between the 17" and 18" wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rims that I'm thinking about buying come with that size tire(used). I wouldn't personally pick that size if I had the choice.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, that makes sense then. If you really want to have the speedo read accurate you can. Otherwise, with the taller 235/55 tires, you will be going faster than what your speedometer says, and you will also rack up less miles on the odo compared to what you actually drive.

When you are doing 60mph, you speedo will actually read 58mph

And for every 500 miles you drive, your odometer will be short 16 miles. So you will only show driving 484 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts