Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an SXT from a dealer. I noticed a slight difference between the Caliber SXT that I ordered in the brochure and the Caliber SXT Sport. However, I did not think it was worth the extra $650.00 for color coded seats which did not match the color I selected anyway and aluminum wheels. Incidentally, aluminum wheels can be selected individually for $400.00 (MSRP).

The only thing you’d be missing is the “black out tape” which makes all of the pillars of the doors black. Does anyone know if the “black out tape” will be available as an aftermarket accessory?

·
Registered
57 Posts
LuckyBoy2007 said:
The only thing you’d be missing is the “black out tape” which makes all of the pillars of the doors black. Does anyone know if the “black out tape” will be available as an aftermarket accessory?
Just have it painted. It will last longer than the tape and look better in my estimation.

·
Registered
343 Posts
or you can go to a sign "painter" and buy some black tape to cover the pillars, and you can choose the gloss you'd like to have

·
Registered
118 Posts
They sell them individually at the dealership for $29.99 a piece. There are 6 pieces and that comes out at a whopping $180 for them. I just took some 3M 8 year outdoor durable vinyl and put it on them. 2 sq ft is all it took so you should be able to pick some up from your local sign shop. Just be sure to buy the good stuff as anything less will look like crap after a year or two. A little tip for those that have never worked with vinyl before, use brand new xato blades for each cut. Take piece of mask and get your lines down exactly how you want them. Build it up with about 4 strips of tape and then gently cut the vinyl. You don't have to press down hard as all you are really doing is scoring it and then peeling it back. I'll post pictures after I get a new camera. I dropeed mine the day I installed my navigation system and it hasn't worked since. Can't figure it out. lol

Oh, and BTW, Peel back the weather stripping around the windows and wrap the vinyl in there and then push it back in there. It will keep it from coming off later.

·
Registered
746 Posts
stupid question, do the blackones even get the black out tape? i know it'd be a little redundant, but just curious... the one i get to drive away with tomorrow doesn't have it and it's a sport...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Will someone please enlighten me as to what the hell blackout tape looks like? (Read: Pics) :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
caliber4whoosh said:
Will someone please enlighten me as to what the hell blackout tape looks like? (Read: Pics) :D
You've got the sales brochure, right? Look at the back cover (or the 2-pg pic of the yellow car)... see the matte black pillars between the front and rear windows? That's the tape. Also on the right side of the rear window frame in that pic.

To compare one without tape, check either the 2-pg pic on pg 4-5 of the Steel blue, or the foldout page 25 that shows all 4 models... the SE does not have the tape on those areas.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ohhh...I see, thanks Kathy! :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
caliber4whoosh said:
Ohhh...I see, thanks Kathy! :D
.... and Harley too! (I must've been typing while you were looking for that thread. Ya beat me!! LOL)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Aha, you're correct, I didn't see his post. Thanks Harley! :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You all are welcome.

Just don't spread it around that I am a nice guy; don't want to ruin my reputation... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I will be going with the SXT Sport one of these days, maybe FWD R/T...I get so confused when it comes to a car decision:confused: So many choices for one model.:eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
personally...i didnt care if it had the "black out tape" or not...i went with the sxt. the inserts didn't appeal to me either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm back and forth on the seat inserts... don't know which I'll pick, but I do like the blackout on the B pillar, so if I don't get the Sport, I'll paint them in myself.

I still say stay away from the tape, and paint it black. That way you can easily wax it and especially where I live, you won't have to worry about the cold cracking the tape. You can also paint the area between the doors that shows up easily on the lighter colored cars, especially the Solar Yellow.

IMHO, that is!

Greg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks All for the input!
I guess I didn't think it was worth it at the time I placed the order. After a second look, I do like the all black pillars. I think I'll just live without it though. I got Steel Blue which is pretty dark anyhow...I guess. I haven't seen any pictures on this forum of a Steel Blue Caliber, anyone seen one?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hey!! Everyone!! >>>>>> Harley is a nice guy!!! <<<<<<<

:eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts