Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from my mom who just bought a black SXT CVT a few weeks ago, and tells me "The engine light came on, and now its stalling at lights stops etc."

Sounds like a head gasket, with 400 miles? Wow, We've never had problems with new Chrysler products...but this..is ridiculous, the car is brand new.

Any ideas? It will be heading to the dealer soon, but if its anything major, they can have the car back. We bought a Liberty when they first came out, with no problems etc. My mom has always bought new Chrysler products every 2-3 years, never experienced anything like this before. Im really dissapointed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that going to be a simple as unpugging it and replacing it...or unbolting, like an 02 sensor? Or does the valve cover have to come off?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
You did buy it with a warranty right??:rolleyes:, then all should be covered with low mileage like that anyway.

Could have heppened to the Liberty too, just calm down though. You got lucky that it is throwing a code so they can pin point it directly!

And YES I know it is more of an inconvienence than anything as I own a 2000 Dodge Neon.;):)

I think head gasket is unlikely too, but some sort of sensor like VVTCVT mentioned.

·
Registered
447 Posts
No reason to over react about the car. That and you can't just return it :) It's all under warranty, just get it in there, get it fixed. If it's a recurring thing then you can return it under lemon laws. Yours is the first one that I've heard of having a check engine light on though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Okay... time for a new forum rule...

If you post that you have a check engine light, you also have to post what the code is...

That said, here is everyone's opportunity to call me a dumbass...:D

Get in the car, shut the door.
Put the key in the ignition.
Turn the key to the RUN position (not start)
Turn it to the OFF position
Turn it to the RUN position
Turn it to the Run position
Stop playing with the key and watch the odometer for "P" codes to be displayed, followed by "done"

The timing on the key turning is important. Not as fast as you can do it, a "Off to Run to Off" cycle should take just a touch more than a second (one-thousand-one)

This should display any codes stored. Unfortunately, I haven't tested this in a Caliber, so I could be wrong...

·
Registered
343 Posts
NoSpillBlood said:
I just got a call from my mom who just bought a black SXT CVT a few weeks ago, and tells me "The engine light came on, and now its stalling at lights stops etc."

Sounds like a head gasket, with 400 miles? Wow, We've never had problems with new Chrysler products...but this..is ridiculous, the car is brand new.

Any ideas? It will be heading to the dealer soon, but if its anything major, they can have the car back. We bought a Liberty when they first came out, with no problems etc. My mom has always bought new Chrysler products every 2-3 years, never experienced anything like this before. Im really dissapointed.
Take it back to the dealer...you can't diagnose something over the internet, they know what is going on and have the equipment to check it out...may even be something as simple as bad gas (BP)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
For sure take it to the dealer, see if it is spitting out any codes first..:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone confirmed the key cycling to pull codes yet? If if your car does not have a stored code, it will at least display a "done".

Dale

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a list of all the codes but the list is to big and won't let me post. any way to make it a sticky or put in in a FAQ?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
VVTCVT said:
I've got a list of all the codes but the list is to big and won't let me post. any way to make it a sticky or put in in a FAQ?
Make it two posts....or three however many you need right after one and another!;):D

Make a new thread and just post the rest in your own thread, I think you get the idea..

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Or...

You could always just follow the link to a website that tells how to obtain them, with further links to code lists by model year.

One that is available that tells how to do it:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

This site has further links to model-year code lists. The most recent is for 2004 models, but it does state "which also (for the most part) applies to vehicles made before and after 2004 ":

http://www.allpar.com/fix/computer-codes.html

NOTE: I should mention that I have not tried to do this on my Caliber yet, so don't know if it will work on this particular model.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dale Seeley said:
Okay... here is everyone's opportunity to call me a dumbass...:D

Get in the car, shut the door.
Put the key in the ignition.
Turn the key to the RUN position (not start)
Turn it to the RUN position
Turn it to the Run position
Stop playing with the key and watch the odometer for "P" codes to be displayed, followed by "done"

The timing on the key turning is important. Not as fast as you can do it, a "Off to Run to Off" cycle should take just a touch more than a second (one-thousand-one)

This should display any codes stored. Unfortunately, I haven't tested this in a Caliber, so I could be wrong...
MOD1 to Dale's statement
Turn key to ACC position and then begin the process as indicated above, substituting ACC position for previously stated "OFF position"

The Caliber has this code-viewing function as Dale has described. If you're like me, your vehicle doesn't have any registered codes.

...and all that I got was a series of dashes...

...followed by the "DONE" readout.

Thanks Dale.

Tyke

·
Registered
67 Posts
WELL NoSpillBlood?
Its been 2 days and no response?
What was the issue? (left gas cap loose?)

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Darnice said:
WELL NoSpillBlood?
Its been 2 days and no response?
What was the issue? (left gas cap loose?)
Yeah I am curious as to what the issue was...Dale's suggestion takes seconds, probably take you longer to walk out to the car than get the codes...lol.:):cool:;)

MrTyke: Thanks for the confermation that this works in the Calibers, though I had no doubt it wouldn't.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, guess it was a dumb fix and to ashamed to post!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the late reply.

The cam sensor...was unplugged. Or so we're told, and it took two days to fix that.

I dont think I overreacted on that..luckily thats the only problem this Caliber is having, but in comparison to other peoples problems..and reactions, im nothing. And yes, I find it stupid that people pay this kind of money for a car, and it's "falling apart" or, something is unplugged...the quality control is just plain bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts