Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first oil change, done at the dealer. I have about 3000 miles on my Caliber. I was going to use synthetic oil in my Caliber. But the service writer, who use to own one of the area premo engine shops, told me to wait till after 6000 mile to change to synthetic oil. He says the Caliber has chrome rings which will not seat properly if you don't give them at least 6000 mile with standard oil.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That's actually somewhat logical. Synthetic oil with its smaller molecules provides better lubrication reducing friction and wear. But during your break in period you actually want a little wear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Read your owner's manual and follow IT, NOT what the service writer 'thinks' is OK. In the manual, there will be a section describing the API Service Category of the oil recommended by DCX for the vehicle - that info is the BOTTOM LINE in what should be used - if you follow the manual, the manufacturer cannot void your warranty for oil related issues.

For a good read on oil, check this out...http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That's funny concidering most high end cars including the Dodge Viper and all the SRT cars come from the factory with Mobil1 Synthetic installed.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Im betting the high end motors go through some break in during or before complete assembly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
True they do. But most cars now go on an engine dyno anyway. They get a good bit of use before they are finally driven.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said that cars, delivered with synthetic from the factory are actually designed for synthetic oil. This elimates the seating issue. Just only a 3year/36000 miles warranty, thats all Dodge has to get you thru.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts