Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok guys/gals it looks like i may be going to the track tom. to race the caliber. i know it's not going to be that fast but i want a baseline to start from and plus it's been 2 years since i have raced. ( i have a 91 mit ecl gsx being slooooooowly built) anyway any tips or tricks or if anyone has run one at track? i'll be removing the stereo and some of the interior as well.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: taking it to the track

ah and there will be plenty of video as well...i hope to have the fastest sxt cvt in the world we'll see how it goes. i will also test the infamous oem intake with and w/out the scoop. also if there is anything else that i could test let me know.:D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

Looking forward to your report!

·
Registered
153 Posts

I am interested to see what you think after you make a few runs. Like how it launches and 60ft. times. Wondering if you just pin the throttle, or halfway til it gets moving or what. The Caliber is kinda funny, sometimes you pin the throttle and it just doesn't move, then you let up to half throttle and it moves faster, and then punch it and it screams in RPM's.

Does the SXT have the autostick feature?

Sounds like fun.

Good Luck

Mike

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

thanks we'll see how it goes. hopefully it will run faster than a 15 in the 1/4 mile. is there anyway to adjust the timing on this car???

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

i have been playing around with it and i think the best way is to power brake it and let it go. we'll see.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

no autostick...but i think i can get the passanger and back seats out easily. also i think it would be pretty cool to be the 1st to track the car. one for history!

·
Registered
153 Posts

Where are you going to race? The AIT mod with a resistor in line will trick the computer into thinking the air temperture is cooler and denser and it will normally advance timing a little and richen up the fuel mixture.

Easy mod just soldering in a resistor, Don't know how much extra it will give you. Also good mod for the track is put more air in your tires. Kinda a trade off, but I don't think you will have to worry about traction, and the tires with more air pressure will roll better. In my truck, I pump up the front tires to about 48 lbs and the rear tires I lower to about 26lbs to get more traction. But like I said, I don't think these Calibers stock will make any tire smoke.

Make sure your fuel tank is not full. Remember Fuel is about 8lbs per gallon.

Stay out of the Waterbox.....

Shallow stage the car. So just set the second set of staging lights and stop. This will give you a slight "headstart" and a little better E.T. But it will lower your reaction time.

Have fun.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Sounds like you'll be up all night just thinking about it.:D Make us proud!!! And don't forget to give us a report as soon as you get home!
Good Luck!
Fitz

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

ya i know all about tire pressure and the waterbox and never race withanything but an empty tank and shallow staging. i have been racing for about 5 years....also we'll either go to mokan or centerville. i like centerville better since the prep better but is only 1000 ft. what is the curb weight on the cali with the cvt ??? isn't around 3300lbs? also thanks for advise on the resistor, i'll see if i can do that.

Shallow stage the car. So just set the second set of staging lights and stop. This will give you a slight "headstart" and a little better E.T. But it will lower your reaction time.

Have fun.[/quote]

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Fitz said:
Sounds like you'll be up all night just thinking about it.:D Make us proud!!! And don't forget to give us a report as soon as you get home!
Good Luck!
Fitz
you know i will!

·
Registered
153 Posts

Looks like Curb Weight for your SXT is 3039 lbs, plus you, minus what you take out, and you should expect about 17.66 in the 1/4 mile and about 82 mph stock.

I am interested in the 60 ft. times. Since that will take into account how it launches.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Damn, Getting me all excited, But If I take it to the track, I won't be able to stop modding it, and It is mainly my wife's car!

It is a blast to race something then do some mods and cut off tenths!!!!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

that gives me a 20.5 lb to 1 hp ratio (with me)...man that sucks! but o well i am not expecting great times but i think i can do better than the 17.6. the seats have to weigh atleast 100lbs from what i can tell. so there is a .10. if i pull the hood off there's another 50 or so lbs. hmmmmmmm this could get crazy! i am excited too! can't wait. going to try and see if i can snag a nitrous kit from someone locally.....i know i know it will be rough on it but i think with a 50 shot it should be ok. i am not counting on the n2o but if i get the kit then it will be fun. i am also going to see about removing the muffler and seeing if that does anything at all.

·
Registered
153 Posts

n2o, Your an animal!!!!

That is why I will keep mine far from the track. It never ends. A little 50 shot and a manual button to squirt it might be fun though! I was going to look and see if there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail to connect a wet system to.

My problem with the Caliber is that If I was going to do all this, I should have just waited and got the SRT-4 with the factory turbo. Then it is under warranty and has a manual transmission.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

mhmm that's what i am thinking...50 dry shot should be ok. oh and i can't wait that long to do something to the car that makes it faster.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Never ran a dry shot so I don't know how lean it will get or how large of a shot you can run. I guess the computer will probably monitor the A/F and add more fuel. Might have to dyno it with an A/F guage first and see if it gets too lean, or put an A/F guage in the dash.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

ya that's prob. right. i don't have time to get all that lined up but in the future i have a good project to work on.....so as it stands i guess i'll just get a good base line with a few mods and some lightening done to see what we get. i'll get some good inside video too.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

I've never understood stripping down a street vehicle at the track. Sure you might get better times at the track, but that's not the way you drive it. Run what you brung. I like to keep my vehicle in one piece when i race. I even race my truck with a hard tonnea and tailgate. It's the way I drive it everyday, so that's the way i want to race it so I actually know what it can do on the street. I'll mount up slicks, but that's it. I think you will be in the 17's as well in the car, if you can even get that much. Will be interesting to hear your report on how the CVT works. Keep the tranny in low when you race. My car accelerates better on the stret with it in low, and it will hit at least 50mph in low. Haven't tried going past that, but I'm sure it will.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts

-Pics
-Times
-Videos
-Have fun!

Let us know the list of mods if any too when you post!

I can't wait to see the results!!:);):cool::D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts