Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ding 2a.jpg

Ding 3a.jpg

Ding 1a.jpg Once upon a time, a few days ago, I was driving my little Caliber to market. To my right and in front of me were lots of cars, and we were all driving at the pleasant speed of 65, when all of a sudden!, from in front of me, a bright piece of metal tubing or lead pipe came tumbling end over end towards me! I know not where it came from, but it was soon to hit my windshield :eek: . I was gripped with fear, and all I could muster, were the words, "Holy Sh-t!":eek: At that point, my Caliber took over!!! It immediately slowed itself to take the brunt force of the hit on the hood, knowing that I would be killed if the metal object hit the windshield. Then just before it hit, the Caliber veered quickly to the right without going into the other lane, knowing that if it kept going straight, the object would bounce off the hood and into the windshield, killing me instantly!!! Thanks to my Caliber's quick thinking, the object bounced harmlessly off to the left and over the windshield.

When I arrived at market, I looked to see what a horrible thing had happened to my brave little Caliber. As I shed a tear, many profanities escaped my lips.

So if there is ever a contest for the "Bravest Little Caliber", I'd like to nominate mine, for I know now, that my Caliber would take a bullet for me!

Fitz

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
That sucks, and I would have reacted just in the same manner.:mad::mad::mad::mad::(

Too bad you didn't know where the pipe came from, or else!

Glad you are OK too...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fitz,

You are a great storyteller.

So sorry that it was a sad tale. Hope you get that fixed soon. A pipe OMG never had that happen.

Mia

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hate to see it happen on your car,right on the hood crease,probably
means new hood as long as it misses the driver.
Had a similar thing with my Caravan only it was 8 oz.lug nut from
a trailered back hoe going the opposite direction,hit the bug deflector
glanced down thru the headlight perspect,thru the reflector assy and
finally buried itself 1 inch in the battery,close call.
Best of luck on the repair and claims.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody. My Caliber appreciates it. I'll take it to some body shops this week and see what they say. I wish I knew where that metal oblect or pipe came from, but it was just all of a sudden flying through the air ahead of me. It's one of those moments where you stare in disbelief, thinking that surely this can't be real!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry to hear poor little Caliber got a bash ! hopes its better soon :)

Yesterday, a truck in front of me flipped up a stone and it smacked into my windshield as I was doing 50mph and it bounced away. Not even a chip in the glass!! just a little grey mark where it impacted.

Caliber glass, is strong glass. So the pipe may not have gone through or at least not all the way through if it had hit your glass.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Good to hear you are not hurt. It looks like the edge of the hood took most of the energy out of the pipe. It might've slid into the windshield otherwise.

I read a story that happened about 5 years ago where some guy was killed instantly when a pipe fell off a contractors truck and went cleanly through the windshield and into the guys head.:eek:

And about a month ago I was behind some truck that was full of what looked like 8 foot boards with nails in them. The boards weren't secure and were bouncing all around. So I quickly moved ahead and past the truck just as a load of those nail-riddled boards flew out of the guys truck and all across the road!!! :mad:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not long ago in Houston, a truck axle broke and went flying into a car, killing the driver. Last year I was behind a truck, when a hand-truck, dolly came off and into my path. I was fortunate enough to swerve around it, but the guy behind me slammed right into it!:eek:
I hate getting behind flatbed trucks and trailers. There's always some kind of crap coming off those things.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
LOL, wow!:eek:

Fitz said:
I hate getting behind flatbed trucks and trailers. There's always some kind of crap coming off those things.
Same here!

·
Registered
140 Posts
bigtsr said:
Hate to see it happen on your car,right on the hood crease,probably
means new hood as long as it misses the driver.
Had a similar thing with my Caravan only it was 8 oz.lug nut from
a trailered back hoe going the opposite direction,hit the bug deflector
glanced down thru the headlight perspect,thru the reflector assy and
finally buried itself 1 inch in the battery,close call.
Best of luck on the repair and claims.

MAN HES TRYING TO TAKE YOU THUNDER this isnt his story, bust him up!!! JUST KIDDING, sorry about you luck yet glad for your luck, these cars now a days are sooo smart they practically drive for us, this one saved your life, i nominate her for a purple heart,

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Couple years ago, one of the guys on my Dakota forum had his wife almost killed when a spare tire from a big truck fell off and bounced across the road into oncoming traffic. She was in a Dodge Intrepid. Smashed into the car on the drivers side roof crushing it in and almost onto her head. She escaped just shaken up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fitz said:
Yes I agree, I've actually been whammed about 4 times over the years by crap either falling of or crap being flung up by the wheels.

Best I heard though was when a trucks tyre exploded on the motorway (freeway) and bits of the tread blew in through his side window that was half open !

·
Registered
414 Posts
Fitz said:
I wish I knew where that metal oblect or pipe came from, but it was just all of a sudden flying through the air ahead of me.
some pissed off Yaris or Fit I would bet!

Poor Caliber, so brave and heroic, you know a Golf would jsut crap its pants and scream something in an unintelligible gutteral dialect (no offense meant to our German posters)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts