Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm very curious about the Mopar cat back and headers for the Caliber. Problem is, I need to know what they sound like on the vehicle. What about a Flowmaster? I wouldn't want to end up w/ the angry bumble bee sound that I hear out of those cheesy modded Hondas. I would tolerate something w/ a deep throated growl so long as it wasn't annoting loud. I know little about this and everyone I ask gives me a different answer so I figured that I'd get it from the horse's mouth and ask you guys that have modded your Caliber. I'm open to any ideas. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well a throaty growl won't happen. The engine is too small, revs too fast and has 4 too few cylinders to make that tone. You might be able to keep it sounding where it is at right now but my guess is that with the high flow cat and muffler, they took out a few baffles and make the grating in the cat shorter. I'd like to see a bolt-on turbo kit cuz then you wouldn't have to worry about the exhaust tone; just spool up the turbo and hear the whooOOOSH!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Gotta love the sweet sound of the blowoff valve :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amandyke said:
You can get a deep throaty sound out of a 4 cylinder. Not *AS* growly as a V8, but still damn good sounding.
Ok, great, HOW do I do it? Cat back? Headers? Flowmaster?
I am new to car mods and I need some guidance.

·
Registered
644 Posts
the short ram intake i made, gave it a little beefier sound.

·
Registered
377 Posts
BOWIE said:
Ok, great, HOW do I do it? Cat back? Headers? Flowmaster?
I am new to car mods and I need some guidance.
Hell removing the NVH stuff in the intake of my last car gave that little 3.0L V6 a V8 growl. NVH = Noise, Vibration and Harshness. You will see manufacturers putting trays and sealed boxes/chambers in the airbox and intake tract to quieten down the intake. Explore and see what Dodge put there.

·
Registered
506 Posts
so look at it and just start pulling things out of it? that doesn't sound like a good idea to me... but umm if you could just be a tiny weeny little bit more specific about it... i'd probably love you forever and well if your lucky maybe i'll do wut bam did to his caliber to you? ........ or not

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mudstone said:
so look at it and just start pulling things out of it?
Maybe we could do it Russian Roulette-style and take turns pulling stuff out of our Calibers. You go first Mudstone.
:D

·
Registered
506 Posts
i don't wanna.... :( i'm scared lol but seriousely what is this guy talking about? when he says just pull things out of the intake.... i don't wanna grenade my new caliber i want to make her better faster stronger but i don't wanna spend much money lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
Best way to learn how something works is to take it apart and put it back together, that's why I was always the guinea pig on my last car. Hell I bought a $400 ignition system that I wasn't entirely sure would work (It did), and a $180 05 Mustang V6 throttle body, just to take it apart and see how drive-by-wire worked and then splice in harnesses for the throttle body, since the Mazda was already DBW, just different connectors. The only snag I ran into there was the throttle position sensor, could never get it calibrated just right to get it to actually function before I traded the Mazda in.

As far as airbox mods, you would be surprised what you would find, here is what I found on the Mazda. Found out the ONLY source of air for the engine was through the Variable Air Duct:

The VAD is a vacuum controlled duct, so as RPM varied, so did the opening of the duct, very bad for performance.

The VAD placement and where the airbox sat placed the ONLY opening for the airbox right into the side of the fender, with less than a 2" clearance. Basically it was sucking in hot air in the fender above the wheel well.

Then there was this tray at the bottom of the inside of the air box, for no reason whatsoever other than NVH and this snorkle as well served no purpose other than to quieten down the intake:

And FINALLY once you've removed the tray, you think you have found an actual source of honest to god fresh air for the airbox, because there is a hole and this tube at the bottom of the airbox. Nope, more NVH crap, this resonator actually:

A small, sealed chamber. Like I said, with all this removed, the dealer didn't notice and the only hint they had was the V8-like growl.

The very worst thing that can happen from air box mods, is a check engine light and at that, you just retrace your steps to find your mistake, fix it and drive the car, the code clears itself out after one drive cycle, no need for having to disconnect the battery cable.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ok so take off the air box and pull all the crap out of it... so that it is just AIR and BOX?

·
Registered
19 Posts
BOWIE said:
Ok, I'm very curious about the Mopar cat back and headers for the Caliber. Problem is, I need to know what they sound like on the vehicle. What about a Flowmaster? I wouldn't want to end up w/ the angry bumble bee sound that I hear out of those cheesy modded Hondas. I would tolerate something w/ a deep throated growl so long as it wasn't annoting loud. I know little about this and everyone I ask gives me a different answer so I figured that I'd get it from the horse's mouth and ask you guys that have modded your Caliber. I'm open to any ideas. What do you recommend?
I've purchased the Mopar Cat-back and Cold Air Intake. I believe the combination of the two sound great. Don't get me wrong, it's no V8!!! But, It's a pleasent sounding four clinder. It is definetly not an annoying Honda sound!:D Just keep this in mind, If you have an AWD the exhaust will work, but you'll probably need to modify it. The gas tank sit to low and the exhaust sit against it. The Tubular Header will only fit the 2.0 and 2.4 FWD. I had to send my back. The manifold is a completly different design than the FWD compared to a AWD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
CoolCallie said:
With the filter of course, but you have the general concept.
All is fine with airbox mods just make sure that you do not create a unfiltered air opening aft the airfilter, thus allowing dirt to be ingested into the intake system thus going into the cylinders. This over a period of time would cause an engine to "dust". If the dealer does find this has happened then it is cutomer pay for engine and labor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
to answer your original question, NO YOU WONT SOUND LIKE A HONDA, like has been stated the headers and exhaust will give you a deeper grunt but its not going to be what you hear from a charger or a vette, its only 4 cylinders, but im sure you would enjoy the sound from it, as long as youre not one of those people whose already whining about engine noise,

·
Registered
414 Posts
My question is, does this actually change the sound outside of the car or just for the passenger and driver. I would like to get the CAI for mine, I have looked at a few muffler systems, but I hate to change the interior sound. I like the semi-quiet. (I hope changing the tires will fix this next summer)

·
Registered
506 Posts
did i hear correct that the header will NOT work on the 1.8L FWD... cuz if not... that blows patootey

1 - 19 of 19 Posts