Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I've got the 2.0L CVT, and I broke it in hard, but even when I tried to drive like a grandpa (hardest thing I've ever done), I got 18.5 MPG, with regular 87 gas. My tire pressures are good, but I do about 70% around town, 30% on the highway. It has been getting cold here, and I do a bit of driving with my headlights/foglights on. I have 8300 miles on it, change the oil every 3k religiously with the recommended oil.

Even with that taken into consideration, I have an account on the EPA's gas milage tracker, and the other 2 people on there are getting about 27 average.

I do fill up on base, but I thought it was Mobil gas, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Should I take it to the dealer and complain? Suggestions? I'm really not happy with the gas milage, not what I bought this car for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Terrible Gas Milage :(

I have an RT and I drive about 50/50 hwy and city and I am only getting 18-19mpg as well. This is lower than I thought I should be getting. My dealer says they don't find anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts

hmm thats weird. I dont remember what we get but we use the gas on base as well and dont seem to have a problem. Except the last tank of gas we got was off base since it was cheaper. When my husband gets home im sure he will give you info or something.

·
Registered
203 Posts

OK so talked to the hubster. He said that most base gas stations have Citgo(sp) gas. That the gas station takes the cheapest gas they can get.

Like I said we get gas on base all the time and our gas mileage is 21-22mph

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

mmm, that's good to know! I usually get around 20-21 but it's been getting worse lately.

Thanks for the info froglove! The next tank is going to be off base just to see.

·
Registered
267 Posts

I've read here that people don't seem to get the recommended MPG until they reach 10k miles. I am at about 5500 miles and my mileage has been consistently 21 mpg since my 3rd tank. I'm beginning to wonder the same thing, but I won't worry too much until after 10,000 miles. I just had my first oil change at 5k miles and put synthetic, hoping that would help but no luck so far...

·
Registered
381 Posts

I'm at ~10k miles and the latest tank sucks. With temps from -20F to 20F, the car has done lots of idling to warm up before I drive. While I still got a quarter tank left, I'd estimate a mpg of ~18-20.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Will, I woudl be willing to bet most of your problem is with driving style. While you maynot think you are doing anything wrong and are trying to rive like a "grandpa" just your driving style, especially with the traffic and amount of city driving you do will greatly effect gas mileage. Also, if you have been using the defrost, or A/C it will suck gas mileage. Even without the A/C button pushed, if the dial is turned to the defrost setting, the A/C compressor runs. I would recomend making a longer road trip one weekend and seeing how your car does for gas mileage on long trips. Be sure to use the cruise control as much as possible. Not using the cruise also hurts gas mileage more on the Caliber than other vehicles I've driven. I'm leaving sat morning on the Reagan, otherwise, I'd help ya out some more. Maybe you shoudl try running some 89 octane through the tank. Some people have said they get better gas mileage with the higher octane rating.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

I haven't used the defrost in a while, and I'm sure that my leadfoot doesn't help matters. I did a trip to Vegas a few months ago, and the best I ever got was 27 MPG, and that was with using the cruise control, and tooling along at 75-80. Again, driving style. I'm going to try some better octane gas at a different station.

Good luck on your deployment Brian, when you get back I'll be over at 21.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Trythisonforsize said:
I haven't used the defrost in a while, and I'm sure that my leadfoot doesn't help matters. I did a trip to Vegas a few months ago, and the best I ever got was 27 MPG, and that was with using the cruise control, and tooling along at 75-80. Again, driving style.
At that speed, that was probably the best you were going to get.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Would an exhaust/cold air system really be worth it? More air usually means more fuel, right?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

I would say an exhaust would help, but the jury is still out on the benefits of the cold air kits on these cars.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Not to make you feel bad or anything, but just filled up last night. 23.9mpg 8200 miles on the odo. About 50/50 city/highway driving, and I don't have a light foot either. But when driving on the strand, I keep the cruise set at 65, and don't go over 70mph on any of the freeways.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

mmm, interesting. When I bring the car in for the oil change in a few weeks I will bring it up.

For now I have to worry about my freshly wrecked motorcycle. Woman pulled out in front of me when I was going home and I went ass over teakettle over her hood. I'm ok, lots of bruising, bike is another story though. Thank god for insurance.

·
Registered
432 Posts

The extent of the differences in mileage experienced baffles me a little. True some of it can be related to the engine size and the way each person drives, however, my mileage shown in the signature below is acceptable to me and seems reasonable.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I have an SXT 2.0. 7400 miles now...4 months old. I drive 60hwy/40 city on commute, and half of the HWY amount is walking speed backed/packed and stacked rush hour traffic in Tampa Florida, using A/C all the time.

I get 26.5 MPG no matter what. Around 325 per tank miles avg.

On 2 recent trips all hwy to tallahassee, averaging 79.6 mph in a 4 hour run, I got 26.3 MPG....go figure.

I guess what I'm saying is something is wrong with your consumption for sure. Your tag says you modded the CVT....could that be suspect?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

No the CVT isn't touched, I just have the mods there to tell what I've done to the car. I'm going to try gassing up out in town with some 89 and see what happens.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Tag says "CVT2", is that stock like the factory SXT automatic CVT with 2.0 engine? just trying to understand the lingo:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

yup, the stocker is a second gen cvt, we all have them :D

1 - 20 of 226 Posts