Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as the title states...Drove a black gt while i was in Kansas City....here are my thoughts.

I think the 03-05 srt is faster stock to stock. the car is actually pretty limited as we all know in the 1st 2 gears but you can still loose traction when pushing it hard. I was very un-impressed with how long it took to get to 95 coming off an onramp in 2nd gear quickly shifting to 3rd. After that the car really moves until you get to about 5500 rpm and then the turbo just runs out of power. From a performance stand point the car will need a turbo swap since the stocker is already at max eff. there should be alot of potential with an afc to pull the power from the 1st 2 gears.

On the good side the interior is very very nice. fit and finish is very good gauges are laid out nicely. Shifter has a very short throw. Seats are pretty comfy.

There is not as much room as the caliber in the hatch area as well. all in all if i were to buy one it would have to be used since they would not budge off sticker. ( these are just my opinions and wanted to share)

Bryan

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope not at all...i rolled up in the caliber got my kid and wife out of the car. they new i was not some punk kid that was thier for a joy ride. I really wanted to test drive the speed 6 but this dealer does not carry any. something about mazda making them choose either the 3 or 6 to carry in the speed package.

the shifter was great...10x better than any srt4 that i have driven.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
boostdog said:
nope not at all...i rolled up in the caliber got my kid and wife out of the car. they new i was not some punk kid that was thier for a joy ride. I really wanted to test drive the speed 6 but this dealer does not carry any. something about mazda making them choose either the 3 or 6 to carry in the speed package.

the shifter was great...10x better than any srt4 that i have driven.
I'm jelous :) I've driven the MS6 on two occasions and was not impressed in the slightest. At that time I had recently driven an STI so perhaps that set the mental bar rather high but I found the powerband on the MS6 to be underwhelming, the weight and handling etc. all were not satisfying experiences.

It went like a bat out of you know where in first in the low rpm off the line and ran out of legs for the next 5 gears... i later read that they have rear dif howling issues and are also known to snap axels if you launch them so i am glad i never got one.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i have read that too, but atleast mazda is replacing them with no fuss.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've test driven a couple of Mazda 3s. I like them. Perhaps I'll get one some day (after they change to a screw-type can oil filter).

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
boostdog said:
ya i have read that too, but atleast mazda is replacing them with no fuss.
They talk about it in all the magazines.... Mazdaspeed is a small group of cool guys, not as many cool guys as what Dodge has in their SRT team and as a result their cars seem to come across a little underengineered. I am sure they are doing their best, but there hasn't been enough put into the car to make it truely awesome in the past... so it is that cut corners approach that makes me nervous about the ms3

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
everything I have read is that it's a great track car out of the box. it did seem to handle pretty well, but 1st and 2nd gear performance are a real let down. they should have left that alone and put a suspension on it to handle the power.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
boostdog said:
^^ what do they have now?
The Mazda 3 has a cartridge oil filter. Not only that but you have to remove a skid-plate-thing to get at it. Then you have to remove the cartridge cover and then pull the membrane out and replace. It seems like a small thing but since I change my own oil & filter I want it to be as easy as can be.

Interestingly the 2006 Mazda 3 in Japan has the normal (normal to me at least) screw-on, canister oil filter.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well then if it's a tire issue that' easily fixed but I don't see that being the only issue.

Also is there a benefit to the cartridge over the canister oil filter?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
boostdog said:
Also is there a benefit to the cartridge over the canister oil filter?
I have no idea of the mechanical pros & cons of a cartridge oil filter, if any.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts