Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new forum!:D So...

There should be a radio (and not one that can fit an infinite amount of CDs in it) that has a USB connection so we can play our iPods and see the song lists on the display.

Dodge (and all the other manufacturers for that matter) needs to get with it. How long have MP3 players been around... ten years???!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
GOT said:
A new forum!:D So...

There should be a radio (and not one that can fit an infinite amount of CDs in it) that has a USB connection so we can play our iPods and see the song lists on the display.

Dodge (and all the other manufacturers for that matter) needs to get with it. How long have MP3 players been around... ten years???!
You have an excellent idea, I see in the next 5-10yrs that a system like that be STANDARD in a car that is running "Windows Vehicle Edition" (or Mac for that matter);):cool: Not only will it have gps, but something like Windows Media Player on the display...:)

Good invention idea....



I had an idea similar to this come to think of it....it used that SD type memory cards for like the digital cameras and plugged into a slot right in the front of the radio, like were a CD would go and would display in the manner that you were thinking...I had the idea based on a Mac OS for some reason maybe like your idea of the ipod...but not actually needing the IPOD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no man, not a computer OS by any means. Then I''d be taking my baseball bat to the car:p (I have actually taken a baseball bat to one of my computers... it deserved it... MWAAAHAHAHAHAAA:p ).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
GOT said:
Oh no man, not a computer OS by any means. Then I''d be taking my baseball bat to the car:p (I have actually taken a baseball bat to one of my computers... it deserved it... MWAAAHAHAHAHAAA:p ).
Then do a Mac based system, more stable....;) You would not have to worry about a virus unless the song had one...!\

Call it the vPod instead of the iPod ("v" for vehicle) eheh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Maybe something Linux based? I am sure they would do it a lot cheaper than M$ or Mac just to get the exposure. And I am positive it would be a helluva a lot more stable :)

I would love to see Tux the Penguin chillin' in my Caliber.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
439 Posts
There has been a lot of talk about this for a long time at 300cforums as well. Not sure about the Calber, but the LX cars use a canbus system and that has been at the core of the difficulty for 'cracking' the codes and getting the existing system to integrate with the ipod and beyond. A member there has almost completed his experiment after nearly a year. They don't make it easy, and he wanted it to work with the navigation and steering wheel controls as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
The major problem is that most auto manufacturers are way behind current technology when it comes to audio. For auto companies to still be offering Cassette players in the radio systems shows that.

Every single radio currently should have MP3 standard, aux, and/or USB connection to be up to current standards, but still the upgrade radio adds cassette. When was the last time you saw cassettes at Best Buy or for that matter even used one? :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
n1vek said:
Maybe something Linux based? I am sure they would do it a lot cheaper than M$ or Mac just got the exposure. And I am positive it would be a helluva a lot more stable :)

I would love to see Tux the Penguin chillin' in my Caliber.
Ah, how could I have forgotten about Linux....that would work for the programming too...:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ejfb said:
The major problem is that most auto manufacturers are way behind current technology when it comes to audio. For auto companies to still be offering Cassette players in the radio systems shows that.

Every single radio currently should have MP3 standard, aux, and/or USB connection to be up to current standards, but still the upgrade radio adds cassette. When was the last time you saw cassettes at Best Buy or for that matter even used one? :)
Yep! My father in-law just bought himself a new Mercury Sable (last years model) and that thing has a tape-deck in it!!!:eek: I asked him why he didn't get a CD player and he acted like I was crazy and not-with-it:confused: Man whatever... and he doesn't even have any tapes... LOL!

Funny thing also is how fast the auto companies dumped the 8-track for cassette... yet they won't do it with mp3:confused: :confused: :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Hi...first post here. I would think that the auto makers are just doing whatever the audio companies are giving them. I mean.....why would they not put an Alpine HU in the car standard that does Ipod controls. They already have the tech. The reason is cost.

The automakers need to see a value of putting something like this into their car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Auto companies have suppliers, they give them specs and they have to supply them, would not be a problem at all to have them add MP3, aux or whatever to the final product. Problem is that the managers at the top are too stuck in their ways and are very very slow to see the future.

Take the Caliber for example, the market they are trying to reach with it, is the very market that would want MP3, iPod connections, even USB, yet the upgrade radio, the top of the line, simply adds cassette, which 99% of the market for the Caliber will not have or use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
its the current SRT-4 engine.. but put in back on the wheels that it should run on.. let me simplify this car for ppl who dont want to read:

126" long x 71" wide x 59" tall; wheel-base being 89"
Runs on 100% ethanol, 100% gas, or any combo of the two in a 13gallon tank.
250hp to the rear wheels.. with a top speed of 160mph controlled by F1 style steering wheel shifters
sitting on alloy wheels, 19x7 front, and 19x8.5 rear; 215/45/19-front & 245/40/19-rear
curb weight is less than a miata(which is 2,447lbs) at 1648lbs..

available options being:
A/C; bucket-seats; power windows, mirrors, doorlocks; & leather; an onboard carPC [iMobile] and more...


... i think the specs just might out-weigh the look of it ..if this thing becomes available, i may buy that instead of the caliber SRT.. [just swap engines ;)] lol -- this will be N.A. street legal as far as safety standards go as well.

editing to remove extra tags..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
headunits like kenwood, alpine, and etc...have usb interface...but, they do not work with ipod. usbs on headunits do not work with ipods due to the way ipods work. just fyi.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top