Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i took apart my dash-board and put a 3x-power-outlet into the fridge... :rolleyes: (cooling-zone).
the cable runs from there to the cigarett-lighter-power-outlet.

why oh why did they mount the ac-controls to the bezel, instead of mounting them to the chassis? the cables are so short, you cannot remove the bezel unless you got a pair of really small hands to fit inbetween the bezel and the rest, to unskrew it...... skrew you %$&#%$% :mad:

okay, thats that, and that aside, i bought me some wire-tapping-thingies to connect to the red and the black wire on the power-outlet.

and guess what? there is no juice in my all new power-fridge-mod! :mad: thats anything but cute! :rolleyes:

damn....

i just want to make sure now: the red wire, or the black wire? which one is +12? :confused:

and are there better ways to tap wires :confused:

okay, i ran out of time... so i put all together and ran off...

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
i honestly have no idea. i did a similar thing in a caravan once involving a power inverter, but that consisted of clamping the two clamps to the dash mounted power plug and then taping them in place, ( this was all done behind the dash so u couldnt see it) and running the wires to the inverter mounted under the drivers seat

·
Registered
447 Posts
RED should be positive (red = hot wire) Black should be negative.

Also, for your own safety, DO NOT WORK WITH ELECTRICITY IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Better way to wire things up is directly to the battery with a fuse somewhere on the positive lead.

It might be easier just to get a 3 outlet splitter and plug that into the cigarette lighter. Just bear in mind the load that you put on it. You do not want to overload it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Even if you got it backwards you'd still have 12 volts just reverse polarity. Use a volt meter to check.

I had no problem removing the radio bezel. After unsnapping it I used a box wrench to remove the 4 screws that hold the A/C controls on. Rotating the knobs will increase the cable length enough.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ok, I'll go for the obvious.
1) Did you put the key in the aux position? I think the cig. outlet is ignition switched.
2) Check the fuse, unless you pulled it out beforehand (or wise > disconnected the battery) you could have blown it easily. Double check the cig outlet.
3) Go back to the connection points, those clips are easy to use, but just as easy to mess up. Make sure they are snapped tight.

A lot of people are scared of electrical stuff, but once you've played a bit, its really easy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hehe.... i am an electrotechnician... i only got a little frustrated after taking all apart and putting it together seamingly successfull....

i will do it again tomorrow.... i guess the clips are the source of the problem....

@huff, thanks for the hint - did not think of turning the knobs....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I would say the clips are probably not making contact. You have to make to to squeeze them tight to make sure they cut through the insualtion, and also make sure you are using the right size splices, otherwise you could cut through too much of the wire and create a fire hazard if the remaining strands break and pull apart.

And I know a lot of electronic technicians who couldn't do anything electrical on thier own vehicles if they had to.

·
Registered
198 Posts
thrhymes said:
hehe.... i am an electrotechnician... i only got a little frustrated after taking all apart and putting it together seamingly successfull....

i will do it again tomorrow.... i guess the clips are the source of the problem....

@huff, thanks for the hint - did not think of turning the knobs....
MAKE a tester using a needle, LED, and resistor (100 ohms will do).

The needle will allow you to pierce the wire without damaging the protection layer, enough to contact the conductor. Easy peasy.

P.S. on my Coleman camper, BLACK is the +!! White is the -. Odd huh??

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts