Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly 6 weeks ago after an impromptu trip to Virginia, I headed home to Maryland on Beltway 495 merging onto I270N. I was driving my 1992 bucket and listening to it sputter all the way down the highway trying to drown out the noise with blaring music. I looked to my left in the HOV lane and what I saw immediately caught my attention. It was a Black Caliber R/T. At the time I had no idea what I was staring at. I quickly sped up to admire the lines of the rear and catch a glimpse of the model name. From then on I was hooked like a crack-fiend. I followed beside the R/T for approximately 10 miles while nearly wrecking my vehicle as I bottlenecked. I was pleasantly surprised after seeing commercials on television about the car with the fairy and black R/T driving through the cityscape. It looked nothing like what I'd remembered seeing in the commercial in person. Being that I'd been contemplating purchasing a new car for the past few months I figured I would give the Caliber a second chance. I felt like I was betraying the Nissan 350Z since it was my dream car and I was decided on it. Though, it couldn't hurt to look at all of my options. The very next day I did my research and made an appointment at the local Dodge dealer for a test drive. The R/T they had in stock was a manual. The only R/T at the time in my immediate area. I thought it would at least be a good opportunity to look at the features in the showroom and ask as many questions as I could. When I walked through the door of the Dodge dealership I fell in love. But this time it was an automobile. I was shocked by the sheer size of the Caliber as I stood next to it. I pretty much molested it with my eyes as I studied it from front to back. An hour and a half later I left with intentions of possibly becoming a Caliber owner. No other car had evoked such passion since the 350Z many years ago. But I wouldn't be signing on the line until I got behind the drivers wheel. For the next week I flipped through the brochure time and time again as if I was preparing for a presentation. Anyone could have asked me anything about the specs on paper and I would have recited them with no hesitation. I then knew this was becoming a problem. I finally got the phone call that an R/T had come in to a dealership about 30 miles away. I didn't mind venturing out to take the test drive. I'd been reading every bulletin, post, and review about the car for a week and my preconceived notion wasn't the most positive. But I stuck to my guns and went in with an open mind to make my own judgement. What a relief--the Caliber was nowhere near as frightful a car as many had made it out to be. Now I knew that the exterior/interior was just as pleasant as all things mechanical. I fought with myself for a day or two about making a decision on a vehicle to buy. It was the 30K+ price tag of the Z or the 20+ tag of the R/T. To my surprise, the Dodge won. Apparently the Caliber isn't just 'anything but cute,' but also addictive. For the next 2 weeks I searched through inventory within a 75 mile radius for the R/T I wanted. Nothing. I was becoming impatient after awhile and then remembered that a factory build could easily be done. 48 hours later I had built my R/T to exact specification. Black, FWD, Driver's Convenience Group, Security Group, MusicGate sound system upgrade, Power Sunroof, Chrome Fuel filler door, front and sunroof air deflectors, and Mopar rear spoiler. Then the wait began. The dealer told me 3 to 6 weeks, but based on reports I'm thinking that those weeks might turn into months. I'm content in knowing that my first child will be making his way into my hands in due time (I don't have kids so this is my baby for the time being). In the meantime I'll continue to chase Calibers on the roadways, smile when I see other Calibers pass me on the opposite side of the road, read reports and user reviews, check out photos from other owners, and salivate at the thought of being a future owner as I daydream in the office. Today I realized that I was obsessed. I was driving home after a long day at work and on my way to pick up some food for dinner. As I passed my hometown dealership I tried to look into the window to see the Caliber I first viewed firsthand. It was gone and had been replaced with a Durango. However, outside near the road was a Steel Blue R/T. What did I do? I made a u-turn, drove back to the dealership and pulled up beside it for a minute. You can call it my fix if you want. Don't worry, I won't be offended if someone was to call me a little bit too attached. I just needed a dose to tide me over. I've been an automobile fanatic since I was a small child and I dreamt about the day I would buy my first new car. The Caliber R/T was the answer. My first new car purchase. I wrote this story because I know there are other diehard Caliber fanatics like myself. I'm a bit scared to see how I'm going to be when it's actually delivered. I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Otherwise, I see why many of you are faithful Caliber owners. It has me in a stronghold.

To be continued....

-MJ

·
Registered
103 Posts
Haha.. well I've had mine over 6 months and I still get all giddy when I see another one on the road ;) I really love seeing them. I thought that I'd start to hate it when there were more and more of them, but the magic is definately still there! I bought my caliber before I'd ever seen another in person (well I went and looked at mine, and test drove it!) so those first few sightings of other calibers were few and far between!

My husband really didn't understand the attention the caliber attracts (because without fail, I can go weeks without any approaching me about my car, then as soon as he goes somewhere with me, someone asks about it!) until he bought one of the new 4-door jeep wranglers. EVERYWHERE he goes people ask about it, or comment on it, it's like a magnet! I think he understands the caliber mistique a bit better now - it just has a different look than a lot of other new cars, as does the wrangler, so people notice it... like they're subconsciously attracted to it.

This was my first new car purchase as well - and I am as in love with my car now as I was when I drove it home.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
its nice to see that somebody else in the world has to drive by a dealership to look at a Caliber to get a "fix" as well! I even had this in my signature for the past little while lol! ANyway congrats and dont forget to post pics when you do get it!!:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ooooooh man do i feel your pain! I have been on these forums for a few months now as a "future Caliber" owner and still can't get enough. I will have my current car paid off at the end of this year. The wife and I have an "agreement" we will go for at least another year before buying a new car to use the extra cash to pay off some bills. Something tells me I am gonna break that "agreement" and get my Caliber waaaayy sooner than expected!! We just had a baby and I am trying to explain the benefits of the 5-star crash ratings and the convenience of a 4 doors over our 2 door Cavalier. Anyone wanna give me some more ammuntion to convince her to buy early? LOL!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I still find myself going to the car lot and checking out the new Calibers. Even though I have one of my own, I feel compelled to go look at new ones.

Of course, if I ever see one in a parking lot, I have to park as close to it as I can (within the legal parking spaces, I'm not an idiot whose going to crowd up close to a Caliber with mine), then I have to spend a minute or ten checking out the other Caliber.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
easterbun said:
Haha.. well I've had mine over 6 months and I still get all giddy when I see another one on the road ;) I really love seeing them. I thought that I'd start to hate it when there were more and more of them, but the magic is definately still there! I bought my caliber before I'd ever seen another in person (well I went and looked at mine, and test drove it!) so those first few sightings of other calibers were few and far between!

My husband really didn't understand the attention the caliber attracts (because without fail, I can go weeks without any approaching me about my car, then as soon as he goes somewhere with me, someone asks about it!) until he bought one of the new 4-door jeep wranglers. EVERYWHERE he goes people ask about it, or comment on it, it's like a magnet! I think he understands the caliber mistique a bit better now - it just has a different look than a lot of other new cars, as does the wrangler, so people notice it... like they're subconsciously attracted to it.

This was my first new car purchase as well - and I am as in love with my car now as I was when I drove it home.
Yeah, I'm glad that it doesn't look like alot of other cars on the road. I was always one for being intrigued by unique things. It sounds like your husband understands the Caliber mystique. Most people don't. I think the Caliber will make a much bigger showing in '07.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
superbang said:
the force is strong within this one...
And I can't fight the force! By the way... your profile picture is awesome. It looks like you really do 'love' your Caliber. If I'm not mistaken, it looks as if you're.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Michael K. said:
I still find myself going to the car lot and checking out the new Calibers. Even though I have one of my own, I feel compelled to go look at new ones.

Of course, if I ever see one in a parking lot, I have to park as close to it as I can (within the legal parking spaces, I'm not an idiot whose going to crowd up close to a Caliber with mine), then I have to spend a minute or ten checking out the other Caliber.
You sound like you really enjoy yours. It's funny that you still look at new ones at the car lot even though you own one. I love that! I saw one this morning at work in Washington, DC and peeked in the window. People must've thought I was trying to steal it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRaz said:
Ooooooh man do i feel your pain! I have been on these forums for a few months now as a "future Caliber" owner and still can't get enough. I will have my current car paid off at the end of this year. The wife and I have an "agreement" we will go for at least another year before buying a new car to use the extra cash to pay off some bills. Something tells me I am gonna break that "agreement" and get my Caliber waaaayy sooner than expected!! We just had a baby and I am trying to explain the benefits of the 5-star crash ratings and the convenience of a 4 doors over our 2 door Cavalier. Anyone wanna give me some more ammuntion to convince her to buy early? LOL!
You have quite a good argument for the benefits of the 5-star crash test ratings since you have a baby. The 4 door over the 2 door is also a plus. If I think of anything I'll let you know.

·
Registered
116 Posts
DJRaz said:
It's easier to fit a car seat in the back seat of a Caliber than it is any small 2-door vehicle. Good luck!!!

G

·
haha nice story...Im the same way with my cars...I remember with the neon, everytime I would spot a neon or an srt4 I would be like oooooo and now Im getting like that with the calibers too.

But Good Luck with yours once you get it which I hope is very soon for you

·
Registered
103 Posts
DJRaz said:
We just had a baby and I am trying to explain the benefits of the 5-star crash ratings and the convenience of a 4 doors over our 2 door Cavalier. Anyone wanna give me some more ammuntion to convince her to buy early? LOL!
Well if safety and convenience won't do it, I don't know what will! :eek:

Then again I bought mine before the 5-star safety ratings came out.. I just had a "feeling" about it :p

Really though, once your child is out of the infant car seat (most don't make it anywhere close to a year before outgrowing either the weight or the height) putting your child in a rear-facing car seat in a 2 door car can be quite a challenge.. your wife may be begging for a new car then! It's not so bad when you can just snap the seat onto the base... but that stage just doesn't last very long ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
If it helps you can tell your wife that all the really nice strollers fit easily behind the rear seat in the hatch. We just had our second son and discovered that the rear hatch is large enough for a double seated stroller as well.. :) The caliber is very nice for a small family.

·
Registered
775 Posts
mikeyg4l said:
You sound like you really enjoy yours. It's funny that you still look at new ones at the car lot even though you own one. I love that! I saw one this morning at work in Washington, DC and peeked in the window. People must've thought I was trying to steal it.
Oh, I can't begin to describe how much I enjoy my Caliber. But, I also enjoy looking at other people's Calibers as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ahhh yes I still remember the first one I saw goign down Rt 50 in VA. I was in my PT Cruiser at the light beside it trying to figure out what it was. I still remember going home looking it up telling my wife I found the new car I wanted :) And three months later I got one :)

BTW... you are welcome to come wash mine evey week until you get yours! It sits outside of my house in Falls Church.

·
Registered
259 Posts
DJRaz said:
The reclining seats in the SXT work great to help recline the car seat!!!! It help prevent the kids heard from falling over ever few minutes when they fall asleep.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i think we are all smoked a caliber joint and i hope you get yours soon and may the force be with you:D ,cheers Thomas

·
Registered
746 Posts
mikeyg4l said:
And I can't fight the force! By the way... your profile picture is awesome. It looks like you really do 'love' your Caliber. If I'm not mistaken, it looks as if you're.....
you're a hundred percent right! i tripped and fell and caught myself on the caliber. what a great car... :) then i had sex with it....

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Nope you're not the only one man!:D;)

About 3-4 times a week I drive out of my way to drive past 2 dealerships that always have Calibers. Everyone of those nights, I get out of my car, stand back and look. I then begin to walk up to all of them on the lot at that time to look at their window stickers. I like to check and see if any of them were ordered from the factory with someones name on them. I then drive around the lot, and then back in front of the Calibers again as I drive out.

Not kidding either, so you can call me obsessed since Feb-March '06 when I saw the first one on the lot!:eek:

Just saying you aren't the only one!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts