Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, we had a wind advisory down here. First time I'd seen that in a while. As I'm driving, I'm seeing SUV's and minivans and even cars that are weaving all over their lanes. Apparently big gusts would come along and just blow these things all over the road! At first, I didn't know what was going on, then I realized that these people were being blown around, but the Caliber stayed true and steady on it's path. Before the Caliber, I drove a Chevy Blazer for almost 5 years, and when the wind blew, the Blazer blew all over the place. Today, I drove with one hand on the wheel, and I never had to fight it at all. I was very surprised!:p

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have experianced the same. I travel to Oklahoma to see family and I70 across Kansas is always windy. My Windstar was always all over the place but my R/T tracks straight. :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
it was like that here too the last fiew days and the Cali does nicely

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah the wind always blows here, and I have experienced nothing of the sort. The Cali seems to handle the wind quite well.

·
Registered
976 Posts
We have large or rather high bridge here that gets wind warnings on fairly
regular basis,have across a few times when transports have to bypass
and the Caliber has done quite well compared to my 98 Caravan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It could be that the smaller size and the 3000lb weight helps a lot... in crosswinds that is.

The drawback (to the weight... at least I think the following is weight related. Maybe the bearings are not that great or something else) is the Caliber doesn't roll/coast as well. My last several cars would, on a decline, roll quite readily in neutral. However the Caliber won't roll at all. I have to give it some gas and then shift into neutral and it will roll slowly down the same decline.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah this wind thing I noticed as well. It only weighs a few hundred more than My Elantra but hey it just keeps proving itself as a good purchase.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
GOT said:
The drawback (to the weight... at least I think the following is weight related. Maybe the bearings are not that great or something else) is the Caliber doesn't roll/coast as well.
I was noticing just the opposite today... although im comparing it to my astro van (prolly every wheel bearing on it is toast). The caliber seems to coast forever causing me to use the brakes alot more than im used to.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Fingernipp said:
I was noticing just the opposite today... although im comparing it to my astro van (prolly every wheel bearing on it is toast). The caliber seems to coast forever causing me to use the brakes alot more than im used to.
That could be because the 3000lb will retain the energy/momentum better (the more the mass the more retained energy)... I’m guessing. The coasting that I was talking about was from a stand still. But yes, I've also noticed that more breaking is required than on the little and light Nissan truck (and my previous Cavalier) I drive.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
My AWD astro is prolly dragging the rear drums actually too. Its weighs around 5500lbs My lincoln also weighs 4000lbs though and still doesnt coast as well. Im sure Dodge built these things for efficiency so any drag in the driveline would have been an economy reducer. Has anyone peeked under their CVT car yet??? OMG ITS TINY!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had no problems in the wind as well and just figured it was the weight and chopped height of the Cali.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts