Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me what the theft Avert system is for the Caliber??? My Cali has stickers on the windows stateing that the car has a Trackable anti theft system and my center consol lights as if there is an alarm. However there is no alarm sound when the cars doors are pulled on or the car is shaken. if anyone can shed any light on theft Avert that would be great. Thanks bunches:p
-Karianne

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
you have certan parts of your car incraved with a protector plus id what basicli meens if anyone steals your car he will not be able to sell the parts because of that and most likly they will stay away and not even try ,the alarm light in your dash center consel is for your key when it reconice the code wich is in your key(sentrekey) the light turns of because your car has an imobiliser wich means if some one cuts a key same as yours and trys to start the car it will not start because the secure code is missing in the copy and all he realy can do is open the door but he can'tstart the car ,Cheers thomas

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Theft Avert is a window etch product intended to deter theft and identify vehicles IF they are stolen; it has nothing to do with an active ALARM system.

Theft Alert also has vehicle immobilizer products. This is what the flashing light is; your vehicle also has a feature that prevents your car from being started without a properly coded key. This is most likely an enhanced system beyond the basic Caliber's regular coded-key ignition sysyem.

Here is some more info on Theft Alert with linked sources:

The THEFT Avert vehicle marking system is a unique window etching program that is usually installed in less than 7 minutes. Many dealers pre-install their entire inventory with THEFT Avert to take advantage of lot insurance premium discounts. This anti-theft system provides customers with a preferred protection security system that provides benefits if the vehicle is stolen and may also qualify the purchaser for a comprehensive insurance discount.
The Theft Avert window etch program benefits:
$1500 if the vehicle is stolen and not recovered plus a $1000 allowance to return to the original
selling dealer to purchase a replacement vehicle.
If the vehicle is recovered, the customer is reimbursed for their primary insurance deductible up to $1000
$2600 in added benefits for trip interruption allowances if the vehicle is stolen while the customer is
traveling to reimburse them for rental car expenses, airfare, long distance phone calls and general travel expenses.
Increases the chances of recovery by over 85 percent.
Etching is permanent and can not be removed, unlike other theft deterrent products.
Professional thieves are reluctant to steal a vehicle that has been etched.
Chop shops don't want to buy vehicles that can be traced.
Insurance companies offer discounts on etched vehicles.

http://www.superiorautomotivecompany.com/vehicleWindowMarkingSystemScreen.html

Theft Avert

The Theft Avert vehicle marking system is a unique window etch product. This is yet another effective anti-theft program that gives customers a preferred security system that helps to identify vehicles if they have been stolen. Customers who buy Theft Avert receive thousands in benefits if the vehicle is stolen and may also qualify for a comprehensive insurance discount.

http://www.ias-inc.net/products/theft/

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Karianne said:
Can anyone explain to me what the theft Avert system is for the Caliber??? My Cali has stickers on the windows stateing that the car has a Trackable anti theft system and my center consol lights as if there is an alarm. However there is no alarm sound when the cars doors are pulled on or the car is shaken. if anyone can shed any light on theft Avert that would be great. Thanks bunches:p
-Karianne
These are things you need to ask the dealer about. The Theft Avert has been explained, but if it does indeed have a vehicle tracking system(GPS tracker) you need to know information about the system and how it works. This will also lower your insurance premiums, so make sure to let your insurance comapny know you have these theft deterent options installed. I had Lojak installed on my Cali when I bought it. Was a $400 option. Figured if I ever have to use it, it will be well worth it. Only problem with Lojak is, living close to the border in San Diego, Lojak only works in the US. If they take it across the border, I am SOL for recovering the vehicle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
HSKR said:
These are things you need to ask the dealer about. The Theft Avert has been explained, but if it does indeed have a vehicle tracking system(GPS tracker) you need to know information about the system and how it works. This will also lower your insurance premiums, so make sure to let your insurance comapny know you have these theft deterent options installed. I had Lojak installed on my Cali when I bought it. Was a $400 option. Figured if I ever have to use it, it will be well worth it. Only problem with Lojak is, living close to the border in San Diego, Lojak only works in the US. If they take it across the border, I am SOL for recovering the vehicle.
I know I got a discount on my insurance. It's one of the things the dealer threw in in a package where I got Gap. My dealer had already recovered a car using it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
HSKR said:
These are things you need to ask the dealer about. The Theft Avert has been explained, but if it does indeed have a vehicle tracking system(GPS tracker) you need to know information about the system and how it works. This will also lower your insurance premiums, so make sure to let your insurance company know you have these theft deterent options installed...
Oops, I accidentally cut that part off (in my previous response when pasting in the quotes and links) about making sure you get the details, any registry info, etc from the dealer and applying it accordingly toward your insurance as mentioned in the second quote that I cited.

I had something similar happen; my Caliber had the Mastershield protection system already applied by the dealer before it was put out on the lot for sale, and had a window sticker applied about it. However, when I bought the car, the dealer provided me with the main window sticker, but not the one about the Mastershield nor any information about or documentation for it. I had to specifically request that they provide everything I needed for the MasterShield coverage, and they did so afterward along with the extended warranty documentation.

·
Registered
311 Posts
tupmeier said:
...snip...the alarm light in your dash center consel is for your key when it reconice the code wich is in your key(sentrekey) the light turns of because your car has an imobiliser wich means if some one cuts a key same as yours and trys to start the car it will not start because the secure code is missing in the copy and all he realy can do is open the door but he can'tstart the car ,Cheers thomas
I made an extra copy of my key for the improbable time that I would lock my keys in the car. Well, the improbable happened...sort of. Anyway, I opened the door to the Caliber and the theft deterrent function kicked in...honking the horn for nearly 5 minutes.

[Longer form of the story is that I'd locked my keys in the house, it was raining outside and I had my wallet with the spare Caliber key in it. I thought I could just open the door of my Caliber and sit in it until my wife came to assist me. I got soaked and annoyed at the same time...but I was happy to see that the theft deterrant alarm worked.]

. Tyke .

·
Registered
198 Posts
Karianne said:
However there is no alarm sound when the cars doors are pulled on or the car is shaken. if anyone can shed any light on theft Avert that would be great. Thanks bunches:p
-Karianne
There is no shock (impact) sensor with the factory alarm, one CAN be added however. The factory alarm is an OPTION, (Security Group0, that is what the flashing LED is.

The Sentry key (immobilizer) prevents the Caliber from being started (for more than 3 seconds actually) unless it was done with a progammed key, which you should have 2 of, and I think, can program 2 more of.

To test the alarm, lock the doors, with a window down. Wait 30 seconds, open the door from the inside. The factory alarm, if you have it, will sound immediately.

I have seen this tactic before from DC dealers- when a vehicle is a hot seller (PT in the first year, magnum, now caliber), dealers add all kinds of "crap" on a car, (rust proofing, tint, spoilers, mats, ...) mark those up, then sell it with those extras on it for as much as 100% markup! I do not know your situation for sure, but if they said its a tracking system, there must be documentation to support that, like the codes required to track the car if it came down to it. Might want to check into that....

S

·
Registered
198 Posts
MrTyke said:
I made an extra copy of my key for the improbable time that I would lock my keys in the car. Well, the improbable happened...sort of. Anyway, I opened the door to the Caliber and the theft deterrent function kicked in...honking the horn for nearly 5 minutes.
That is odd- I have a cut key for another DC vehicle, with Immobilizer and Factory Alarm. I can open the door with the cut key with no alarm sounding!

The door does not have the Sentry system tied to it, so it would not know if you opened the door with a programmed key or not.... odd... :confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sean said:
That is odd- I have a cut key for another DC vehicle, with Immobilizer and Factory Alarm. I can open the door with the cut key with no alarm sounding!

The door does not have the Sentry system tied to it, so it would not know if you opened the door with a programmed key or not.... odd... :confused:
I think opening the door with the key does NOT disable the security system, i guess it's cost cutting there. Therefore the system is still armed when you use the key, you need to use the RKE to disable the system. I think the thinking there is that most people will use the RKE so why bother putting it in the door. The only times people will use the mechanical key hole is if their battery is dead or the RKE is broken.

Starting the car with a valid sentry key will also disable the system if the factory alarm trips.

However I do not have a Caliber so someone might want to confirm but i've heard rumors about this. But in previous vehicles, using any correctly cut key will disable the security system when inserted in the door (but starting with an invalid key will trip the factory alarm if equipped).

·
Registered
198 Posts
tkyoshi said:
I think opening the door with the key does NOT disable the security system..
It must- I just tested it: Locked the caliber with the RKE, waited 5 minutes to make sure the security alarm, armed, then unlocked the door with the key. Left the door open, its been 5 minutes now. No alarm. :confused:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sean said:
It must- I just tested it: Locked the caliber with the RKE, waited 5 minutes to make sure the security alarm, armed, then unlocked the door with the key. Left the door open, its been 5 minutes now. No alarm. :confused:
Well, something sure is screwed up.

For the last 4 hours and 5 minutes, my phone has been constantly ringing - and the caller ID is displaying "Sean in Brampton". :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sean said:
If the alarm goes off it will go off right away. You can try another test by rolling the window down, lock the car normally using RKE. After the security system has armed (about 20-30 Secs), reach in and open the door from the inside of the car, the alarm should go off.

·
Registered
198 Posts
tkyoshi said:
If the alarm goes off it will go off right away. You can try another test by rolling the window down, lock the car normally using RKE. After the security system has armed (about 20-30 Secs), reach in and open the door from the inside of the car, the alarm should go off.
Yup- I posted that exact test earlier- I am trying to recreate the alarm by using a key to unlock the door, versus the FOB, and having the alarm go off by not turning the car on, I cannot recreat that here.

One more note- the Caliber's alarm WILL ARM by using the key lock in the door as well as using the FOB!! I am assuming then, that a cut key, without immobilizer chip, will also arm the alarm by using the door lock.

The factory alarm is an option (Security Group), not all Calibers have the security group option.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sean said:
Yup- I posted that exact test earlier- I am trying to recreate the alarm by using a key to unlock the door, versus the FOB, and having the alarm go off by not turning the car on, I cannot recreat that here.

One more note- the Caliber's alarm WILL ARM by using the key lock in the door as well as using the FOB!! I am assuming then, that a cut key, without immobilizer chip, will also arm the alarm by using the door lock.

The factory alarm is an option (Security Group), not all Calibers have the security group option.
Okay thanks!

For your note on the Factory Alarm:
1) Lock by RKE: System Will Arm
2) Lock by Power Locks: System Will Arm
3) Lock by Key in Door: System Will Arm
4) Manual Lock of Doors (Push the Door Locks manually by hand): System Will NOT Arm

·
Registered
94 Posts
As long as you have a valid cut key the alarm is shut off when the key unlocks the door. The alarm will go off if the door is opened any other way then with the key or remote.

·
Registered
294 Posts
IMO, most "factory" alarms are a waste, especially in the Caliber's case. All Calibers come with the chipped key, so in principal, basic theives can't drive away with it. There is no shock, impact etc sensors to the factory alarm, so theives just break the window(s) reach in and grab what they see/want, no one is the wiser. The factory alarm is nothing more than a honking door opener.

·
Registered
377 Posts
steveb said:
As long as you have a valid cut key the alarm is shut off when the key unlocks the door. The alarm will go off if the door is opened any other way then with the key or remote.
I was playing and tested this theory. If you lock the car and wait at least 16 seconds the system will then be armed. If you try to open the door with the key the alarm will go off. You can only disarm the alarm by the keyfob or by starting the car with a valid Sentry key. The door locks do not have Sentry sensors, only the ignition.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
xcanuk said:
IMO, most "factory" alarms are a waste, especially in the Caliber's case. All Calibers come with the chipped key, so in principal, basic theives can't drive away with it. There is no shock, impact etc sensors to the factory alarm, so theives just break the window(s) reach in and grab what they see/want, no one is the wiser. The factory alarm is nothing more than a honking door opener.
Thats why its best to keep things out of plane sight. If i have anything of value it goes under my seats. Thieves can be quick and any alarm wont help if they have a moment to break your glass without anyone close enough to stop them anyway. They couldnt care less if your car is honking or alarms blazing as they run off with your stuff. The factory alarm is a cheap option to help save on insurance IMO. An aftermarket alarm is an attempt to ward of the kiddys... but its futile against a "good" thief.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts