Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some good news we received in our inbox today. I figure it may interest some of you.

Chrysler Group to Add Third Shift to Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant

• Two New Shifts, Three New Vehicles for Illinois Plant
• Third shift adds approximately 1,000 new jobs in July
• New employees will add to the $188 million in annual wages in the state

Auburn Hills, Mich., May 10, 2006

The Chrysler Group today announced that manufacturing operations at its Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant will be expanded to include a third work shift beginning in July 2006. The new shift will add approximately 1,000 new jobs to the 2,650-employee facility. While some of the jobs will be filled with current Chrysler Group employees from other facilities, a majority of the jobs are expected to be filled with new hires.

The Belvidere plant started building the all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber in January 2006 and will begin production of the all-new Jeep® Compass this month. Production of the all-new 2007 Jeep Patriot will begin later this year. The plant is flexible enough to vary the production mix between the three products anywhere from 0 to 100 percent of each model.

"We have seen a very positive initial consumer response to the Dodge Caliber and we anticipate a similar reception for the Jeep Compass and Patriot," said Tom LaSorda, President and Chief Executive Officer – Chrysler Group. "We have already demonstrated how a flexible, highly productive workforce producing high-quality vehicles can bring consumers more of the vehicles they desire in today's competitive market. That same formula is working at Belvidere."

Belvidere, the former Dodge Neon plant, added its second shift in March. The employees are working under a new organizational model designed to foster greater creativity and innovation by providing greater support and authority to assembly line operators. The plant was retooled to build the three new models with a $419 million investment in late 2005.

"It is quite a challenge to launch three new models and two new shifts but the Belvidere team is taking on that challenge," said Kurt Kavajecz, Plant Manager – Belvidere Assembly Plant. "We are honored to have been selected to implement many new manufacturing processes and to be the home of these great products."

The Chrysler Group is the city of Belvidere's largest employer and has a significant impact on the community with 2,885 employees throughout Illinois who generate $188 million in annual wages. The 3.6 million square-foot Belvidere plant currently has 2,650 employees represented by UAW Locals 1268 and 1761. The plant was the productivity leader in its segment according to the Harbour Report North America 2005.

Note:
Job candidates interested in working at the Belvidere Assembly Plants should apply electronically at www.dcchourlyjobs.com. Applicants are asked not to go to the plant in person or call the plant directly. To be considered, applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED). Candidates will be required to complete a multi-step qualification process and will be contacted after they have applied online.

Here are some pictures of the plant after its multi-million dollar retooling.

Dan

·
Registered
285 Posts
Kick ass. So, does that mean special order Calibers won't take as long as they are now?

·
Registered
269 Posts
It depends, if the 3rd shift only goes to making the new Compass - the delay for Calibers will be fixed. It just seems the rollout of the new platform is progressing as planned. I just hope they figured out the problem with the "smiley face" on the paint ;)

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
That is some kick ass pictures of the robotics used Dan! Awesome they are adding another shift, hopefully to benefit the Caliber too. The closest dealer to me has been out for 3 weeks now!:eek: I miss driving by seening and drooling over them!:eek::eek::cool:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I was just gonna say, "Sweet, more jobs!"

Then I saw the robots..:D:D

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Exactly,

[southern accent]
Them damn robotses are takin' over our jobs! Now lookie here, what in tarnation are we supposed ter do naw?
[/southern accent]

:D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:
Here is some good news we received in our inbox today. I figure it may interest some of you.

Chrysler Group to Add Third Shift to Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant

• Two New Shifts, Three New Vehicles for Illinois Plant
• Third shift adds approximately 1,000 new jobs in July
• New employees will add to the $188 million in annual wages in the state
Good news!

Hey, that's my Caliber getting built... I recognize it!:D

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah, I can tell...:D

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well, I think I found a thread I feel at home making my first post in. :)

As my handle says, I build the Dodge Calibers on 3rd shift and PROUD OF IT!

I didn't mention the Jeep Compass or the Jeep Patriot, but all of you knew that already. :D

Often I get asked the same question, "What do you drive?"

My wife and I drive a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country with Stow 'n Go and a 1996 Dodge Caravan. I've thought about getting a Caliber, but with 5 kids + my wife + me I think we have just what we need already.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:

I didn't mention the Jeep Compass or the Jeep Patriot, but all of you knew that already. :D

My wife and I drive a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country with Stow 'n Go and a 1996 Dodge Caravan. I've thought about getting a Caliber, but with 5 kids + my wife + me I think we have just what we need already.
thanks for building my car ,finaly someone to blame if something goes wrong:D :D :D ,cheers Thomas

·
Registered
976 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:

Just wonder if you know why some SXTs were delivered with RT rear
bumpers!!!!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Don't blame me for the problems, blame all those stinking robots they installed. :mad:

"Robots bump one another at Belvidere Chrysler Plant"
http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1301

All the bumpers have barcodes we scan before they are installed and come to us in the order they are to be put on as all three (Caliber, Compass & Patriot) go by on the same line with all the different types SXT/RT in no special order. If it scans green/pass often it's put on and goes down the line because company changes are made daily and it's hard to keep up with all the changes. Sounds like you got a bonus.

I would like to see Chrysler offer the black Compass/Patriot carpet as an option for the Caliber. I think that would be a nice option. I'd also like to see them eliminate the multi-colored driverside dead pedal/foot rest and replace them all with black. It's going to get dirty anyway and it's next to the black brake & gas pedal. Oh well, maybe these are some changes I can help to make happen, time will tell. The top cover of the foot rest pops off easy and will snap back easy. Although the base and top cover are the same color, they don't need to be. Once the cover is put on you can't see the base. I'm not sure if the dealer offers the cover with the base or if you can order just the cover. If so, order the black cover for the Compass and snap on your easy custom MOD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts