Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hope I'm making a mountain out of a molehill with all this, but I figure I'll mention it to see if anyone can tell me what went on here!! LOL! I was coming off the highway, I guess I shifted to low when I was going about 40-45 to drag some of the speed off. When I went to merge onto the other road, Cali didn't have any umph!! This went on for about 2 miles, at which time I didn't get the chance to come to a complete stop. I let the engine rev up to about 5 grand, but still no push! Eventually I came to stop light, stopped completely, and the engine was idling normally. I stepped on the gas, no push at first, but then all the power came back just fine! Now, is it me or is that freaky? I read the manual as far as using low was concerned, and it didn't say any harm could come from using it to slow you down; only problem is when you floor it, which I'm not dumb enough to do, especially during the first miles! If anyone has any input about this it'd be great! Hopefully its just a little fluke or something! As long as it's corrected itself, no harm, no foul, right? :D:confused:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I don't understand exactly what you did and what happened.

You have the CVT tranny right?

I know weird things happen when driving highway speeds and you shift into neutral. I did it once flying down Parleys Canyon on i80 (to see how fun it would be to coast all the down the mountian into SLC). I couldn't get the manual tranny back into gear for ANYTHING! So I eventually had to coast to a complete stop before I was able to throw the stick into gear. I tried speeding up the motor and everythign else (to sync it). It was weird... and am glad there were no cops around becasue I was burning up my brakes and was doing over 100mph.:eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That does sound scary!! And it's definately good that the police weren't around for your 100mph!! I just got back a few minutes ago from taking a friend for a ride in the Cali. She behaved just fine!! But I do have the CVT tranny,(kind of wish it was of the autostick family!) and what I did earlier was put it in low while decellerating off the highway. The engine wound up till about a little past 4 grand, but nothing adverse seemed to happen. When I went to step back on the gas after putting it back into drive, the engine revved up, but didn't accellerate much at all. Not sure if I accidentally put it in neutral while shifting back up to drive, but maybe that is what happened, and the decreased output is some kind of protection for the motor/tranny from "dropping neutral." I don't get how you can drop neutral while moving, and, even from stand still, it's not something I ever tried on any of my cars!! I knew someone that burned his reverse gear out doing this, so I decided it was never a good idea to try it!:p But in either case, it went away when I came to a complete stop, and she got her push back ok. No idiot lights or anything came up, so I'm just hoping it's not a big deal. I guess on the count of her still running ok(the ride AFTER this issue was about another 30 miles performing just fine), there's not a whole lot to worry about? At least that's what I'm hoping anyway!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Shifting to a lower "gear" i know cvt no gears blah blah blah...coming off the highway isn't a great idea in any automatic. The only reason automatics have the lower "gears" as an option is for descending/slowing at lower speeds, especialy in snow/ice.

I don't know much about the CVT so maybe I'm wrong but I would assume that your tranny hates you for it.;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I don't think that's something I'm gonna do coming off the highway again... LOL! I'm a dumbass:D!! I just would like to know why it tripped out like it did. Not sure if it was some kind of failsafe or something. It just drives me crazy not knowing why, you know? If I could figure it all out, then I'd be happy as a lark!:p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mongo,
I had something similiar happen to me a few days ago, bear with me: I was pulling up to a stop light (RED) and slowing down. I wasn't at a complete stop but was about to stop when the light turned green. No one was in front of me so I hit the gas, and the car didn't do a thing. I thought it died. I slightly freaked out for about 2-3 seconds (maybe a second or two longer) and finally it went. I thought that it was weird and it freaked me out a little, but it hasn't happened since. I attribute it to a delay in the engine getting gas, which I suppose will happen from time to time with this car with how the enigine gets its gas here and there, not constantly. Anyways, I also may have no idea what I am talking about right now, it was just a comforting thought b/c I don't want there to be anything wrong with my brand new steel blue beauty.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Wonder if the Electronic Throttle Control isn't talking correctly to the other computerized components.... (see pg 139 of the owners manual).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
its the car readjusting the CVT.. it doesnt do it as fast as your foot does.. it takes a second to shift from slowing down to speeding up...

·
Registered
251 Posts
you should have been fine downshifting at those speeds. I use mine A LOT to slow me down from 50 to 35 near my house. Instead of braking, I just dowshift and let the tranny do the work. I have never had any problems, but I do know what you're saying about the CVT adjusting itself. Your car is just fine. Hope that made you feel a little better.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!! All these reassuring things really help me feel A LOT better! She hasn't done anything strange since, so I guess it must have been a breakin quirk, or maybe the tranny just had a brain fart! LOL! But in any case, she's been behaving quite well! I am soooooo glad I picked this car!! And to think; I almost was going to buy a CIVIC!!! I must have been dilusional!:eek::D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Serantos said:
you should have been fine downshifting at those speeds. I use mine A LOT to slow me down from 50 to 35 near my house. Instead of braking, I just dowshift and let the tranny do the work. I have never had any problems, but I do know what you're saying about the CVT adjusting itself. Your car is just fine. Hope that made you feel a little better.
lol more power to ya...I know that in regular(non CVT) automatic trannys, if you downshift at speeds higher than that gear is meant to handle, you tear your tranny apart. But like I said, I don't know about the CVT yet, nor would I try it for myself on my own car.

·
Registered
506 Posts
i did it in my mom's camry and it just wouldn't down shift it held it's normal gear untill it had slowed and was able to switch down....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah -- most electronically controlled transmissions are smart enough to keep the tranny from kersploding if you put in into a funky gear. On the 4-speed FWD auto in Dodge's cars, my buddy was going down the road at like 80mph then threw the trans into Reverse. Tranny just went into neutral. (Still wouldn't reccomend doing this on your personal car though). As far as grabbing a "low" gear, the tranny software should be smart enough to prevent bad things from happening. You may end up with a little more wear and tear on engine mounts, halfshafts, etc. when the tranny grabs a lower gear and spins the engine up, but it shouldn't "break" anything.

As far as your (TGM) problem goes -- sounds like either the trans controller or engine controller went into a torque-down limpin for some reason. Could just be that the DCX engineers didn't anticipate that maneuver and the software got freaked out?

·
Registered
506 Posts
perhaps... i'd still get them to "plug in" and run a diagnostics of some sort on the computer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts